Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 IRC Postgraduate Funding

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Carpe5496

Ok thank you. Such a silly thing to happen after all that time and effort but you're right, will just need to put it out of my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Kinks56

Carpe5496 wrote: »
    I hate to be the first of the disaster stories but I am mostly hoping for some sort of reassurance that my application will not be altogether considered void.

I decided to submit 5 days before the deadline this year because of all the issues with the websites that you heard about closer to the deadline. But, just my luck, I did have an issue. I was uploading my gantt chart and bibliography. The gantt chart went up fine but the bibliography did not. I clicked 'save draft' but instead a pop-up warning came up asking if you were sure you wanted to submit because no changes can be made afterwards etc. I didn't even put my hand near the mouse and suddenly the application was submitted. I didn't even get time to take a screenshot showing that my cursor was not on the submit button.

I emailed the IRC and asked if they could delete the application so i could start all over again and they said no. Apart from this being absolutely ridiculous considering it may be that further applicants will have this issue so they should be looking into it, and that I do not want to amend the application but cancel it altogether, I now have no bibliography.

I am doing English Lit so naturally the bibliography is so important. I did however look on the guidelines and FAQ and it doesn't say it is required. I spoke a lot about the texts, authors etc I am using in the actual body of the application.

Anyone know, or have experience, about this? Will I be completely disregarded because of this?

I am a first time applicant so please go easy :(

Oh God, you poor thing. :( I was finishing my application this time last year, and I'll never forget how stressful and time-consuming it was. Have you spoken to your supervisor about what happened with the application?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

Just submitted my application.. am a final year student and having the deadline this early was an absolute pain! Applying for lots of UK stuff so this is a "back-up" for me (**** odds for a back-up, though), so I'm agonizing a little less over it than I probably should be! Good luck to anyone else applying this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 RainbowUnicorn

Doesn't seem to be a lot of chat about IRC this year the way I've seen in previous years. Hopefully less applying this year? :L

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Zoinks

Doesn't seem to be a lot of chat about IRC this year the way I've seen in previous years. Hopefully less applying this year? :L

You'll probably see an uptick in January, definitely in February/March. I think the deadline caught people by surprise last year and there was in the vicinity of 950 applications but 200+ awardees.

I think this thread also answers some questions that people might have, so that may also impact participation.

The best of luck to everybody, I will try to answer any questions anyone may have--but I cannot comment on the process for successful applicants due to having been reserve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

Carpe5496 wrote: »
    I hate to be the first of the disaster stories but I am mostly hoping for some sort of reassurance that my application will not be altogether considered void.

I decided to submit 5 days before the deadline this year because of all the issues with the websites that you heard about closer to the deadline. But, just my luck, I did have an issue. I was uploading my gantt chart and bibliography. The gantt chart went up fine but the bibliography did not. I clicked 'save draft' but instead a pop-up warning came up asking if you were sure you wanted to submit because no changes can be made afterwards etc. I didn't even put my hand near the mouse and suddenly the application was submitted. I didn't even get time to take a screenshot showing that my cursor was not on the submit button.

I emailed the IRC and asked if they could delete the application so i could start all over again and they said no. Apart from this being absolutely ridiculous considering it may be that further applicants will have this issue so they should be looking into it, and that I do not want to amend the application but cancel it altogether, I now have no bibliography.

I am doing English Lit so naturally the bibliography is so important. I did however look on the guidelines and FAQ and it doesn't say it is required. I spoke a lot about the texts, authors etc I am using in the actual body of the application.

Anyone know, or have experience, about this? Will I be completely disregarded because of this?

I am a first time applicant so please go easy :(

If you discuss the texts, authors etc well elsewhere in the application I don't think it will rule you out. It's not compulsory but rather compliments what you write elsewhere in the application, or at least that was the case when I was awarded it in 2014. Fwiw, I made a much more embarrassing slip-up in 2013 but put in a lot of hard work and got it in 2014. Try not to fret about it.

Is anyone going for the postdoc app? I hope to do so next year.

Anyone know when the first round results come out?

I think it was February last year, which should be a reasonably good indicator. If you go through past threads though you might note that they do not always release first round results.

In previous threads, ive noticed people saying they can see when their application was last modified. Is this no longer possible?

I can't say, I bit the bullet and submitted my thesis without re-applying for the IRC's 2018 scheme (viva pending). Last modified should be close to the top of your application when you open it up though. If they have removed it, that's probably for the best though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Lynnxwr

Hello everyone, just received an email from IRC saying I made it to the second phase :)
    Apparently they received 584 eligible applications within the AHSS stream, the cut-off score being 88... They didn't, however, tell me my score - Is there a way to find that out? Also, does anyone have a clue what the chances of getting the funding are if you make it to round 2? I'm very curious to find out!

I also got an email that i got through phase 1. 605 eligible applicants in stem. Annoying that we don't get our scores. A friend of mine was unsuccessful and he received his score

Yes, we’d have a clearer idea of what our chances are..

Congrats so far!

Knowing your score at this point is moot, so don't worry about it. Mine went down at least a point between the two phases! Your applications will now be sent out for further peer review, I think.

Best of luck :)

Thanks Zoinks! Im just glad to have gotten this far!

Yes, thanks! Can't wait for the ordeal to be over.

So judging by last year.. the results should be out this week. Last year it was 6weeks to the day between first round and second round results. Today marks 6weeks since first round results ��

• Registered Users Posts: 27 eire32contae

Anyone hear from the IRC yet about final results?

Nothing yet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Sarzed1

Nope- last year the online portal updated at about 2.30pm and I got an official email at 3.30pm, so I’m doubtful we’ll hear today! Fingers crossed for tomorrow :)

• Advertisement

I really hope we hear tomorrow, this waiting is killing me!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 murph86m

Would they release them on a Friday? :/ Just to ensure there are staff to answer queries etc...

Oh yeah never thought of that. Could be next week so!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dco_1987

They have released details on the people awarded inaugural Laureate awards today. Nothing so far on Postgraduate Scholarships.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jollystorm

Conspiracy theory: if I read that post correctly, last year first round results were out Thursday 9th and final Thursday 23rd. This year, Monday 5th and could it then be Monday 26th? Same day of the week! Maybe they like to give them on a precise day like on Thursdays or Mondays..

Anyhow, probably a coincidence and I'm looking for some meaning to kill the time spent waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 murph86m

Haha Jollystorm! :D If only I could apply myself to my research today in the way you can to figuring out the release date theories! :)

See thats why i thought itd be this week as there was exactly 6 weeks between results last year. But monday would make sense. I'm still holding out hope itll be today. On the postdoc thread, theyre first round results have been delayed due to strikes in the UK and the snow. So who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dco_1987

I am hoping that they will do it today. They released Laureute fundingn details yesterday. I'm hoping they will do same today at 3.30 for us. Probably Monday though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Sarzed1

here's hoping today's the day...!

• Advertisement

I'm not convinced �� i figured if it was today, the site would be down by now

Advertisement