Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carbon wheel use

Options
  • 17-11-2016 5:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi guys!

Most avid cyclists will know that pro riders only use carbon wheels for races and will just train on standard aluminium box section wheels. Is there a financial gain to be obtained from this? In other words , would everyday use of deep section carbon wheels cause excessive wear to any parts that would have to be replaced or repaired apart from hubs? I wouldn't be using them in any poor weather. I know rims can wear out but not sure how long it would take.

My carbon wheels are Mavic Cosmic Sl 52mm clinchers and training wheels are newly purchased Mavic Aksion.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

The brake track gets worn fast. The sandpaper effect of the grit that get thrown up accelerates the abrasive wear. My deep sections wore down a year earlier than I expected. So, the new ones are only coming out to play at races or very nice days.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Yes, wheels have a limited lifespan. Aside from having the periodically replace bearings and the freehub body, you'd also have to budget occasional spoke breaks. Eventually, as dermabrasion says, the rims will wear out.

Keep the carbon wheels for races and train on the Aksiums.

Advertisement