Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for friend re maternity leave

Options
  • 17-11-2016 7:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭

Not needed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Has there been any discussion about an "acting up allowance"?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Yes, it seems to me that if there's an abuse here it's by the employer, requiring the OP's friend to do the more responsible and (presumably) more onerous job for most of the past three-and-a-half years, but not paying her what they themselves consider it to be worth.

If your friend is in a union, she should be talking to them about this.

If she isn't, this should bring home to her why she should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

They've not helped themselves by refusing the annual review. They could have raised the obvious flaws in the process, but should have still partaken.

Unfortunately there is nothing illegal or discriminatory going on.

They will have people's sympathy and the only solution within your friend's control is to seek employment elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

No, just no.

Don't go there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,578 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

They've not helped themselves by refusing the annual review. They could have raised the obvious flaws in the process, but should have still partaken.

Unfortunately there is nothing illegal or discriminatory going on.

They will have people's sympathy and the only solution within your friend's control is to seek employment elsewhere.

Why would anyone accept to do their annual review with someone who wasn't involved in setting their targets and objectives, nor played any role in interim reviews or discussions?
    Plus, the other party may have a vested interest, she may not want to give her replacement a glowing review in case it affects her position when she returns, especially if there is only enough work for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Yummymummy83

Why would anyone accept to do their annual review with someone who wasn't involved in setting their targets and objectives, nor played any role in interim reviews or discussions?
    Plus, the other party may have a vested interest, she may not want to give her replacement a glowing review in case it affects her position when she returns, especially if there is only enough work for one.

I don't see your point. The review can easily be done by anyone in management if there are KPI's and records available which the review is based on.

Re the job, legally the person on Mat leave is entitled to return to their job regardless of how good a job the replacement has done.

I know that. That's why it's sensitive. The person has precisely been there one day this year and a few months in 2014. I don't think that's fair!

amtc wrote: »
    I don't think that's fair!

What's fair is subjective, and different to what is legal.

I can imagine it being very aggravating though.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Yummymummy83

What's fair is subjective, and different to what is legal.

I can imagine it being very aggravating though.

I think it is. I'm a working mother and don't see why I should have to give up my career because I take a break give birth. I mean where would society be if women decided to give up having children altogether and just focused on their careers? Where would the next generation of tax payers come from??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Pregnancy illness is part of her sick leave too so I doubt she'd have been using it unless she needed to.

These protections are needed, without children we'd be totally f*cked. And to be fair, the manager hasn't been being paid for a lot of this leave

I think it is. I'm a working mother and don't see why I should have to give up my career because I take a break give birth. I mean where would society be if women decided to give up having children altogether and just focused on their careers? Where would the next generation of tax payers come from??

Just because the OP's manager is being treated fair doesn't necessarily mean the OP 's friend is. They are not mutually exclusive.

Not getting the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

You've posted rather a lot of very specific information here, OP. So much info that a stranger may be able to identify the maternity-leave boss and hence your friend. If a relation of the boss were to be a boardsie or if she herself is, this thread could cause difficulties. Is your friend aware that you've asked about her situation on a public forum? A meeting with a union rep would be a more appropriate venue to discuss these details.

Dubl07 wrote: »
    You've posted rather a lot of very specific information here, OP. So much info that a stranger may be able to identify the maternity-leave boss and hence your friend. If a relation of the boss were to be a boardsie or if she herself is, this thread could cause difficulties. Is your friend aware that you've asked about her situation on a public forum? A meeting with a union rep would be a more appropriate venue to discuss these details.

+1000

TMI

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement