Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shops to hide alcohol from view

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

mansize wrote: »
    Why is advertising and packaging so necessary???

Because when I am drinking my wine, I like to think of that small château in Burgundy on the bottle and bunch of French men in flat caps finely cultivating my wine, to the tune of Non, je ne regrette rien. Not "Alcohol Causes Death!!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Estrellita wrote: »
    This country has a big problem if a lot of people feel not displaying alcohol is some kind of mind control. It's absurd really.

It's not a form of mind control, it's a form of social conditioning.

Are you denying that the purpose of this law is to influence attitudes and behaviours? And if that's not the purpose of it, then what exactly is the point of it at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

What's up with this minimum price thing?

I seen 20 bottles for 20 euro in dunnes the other day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

bloody expensive compared to the continent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

It's not a form of mind control, it's a form of social conditioning.
    You can call it what you like. I don't see it that way. In the grand scheme of things it's not going to effect my life whatsoever, and as I said previously I do take a drink.
    Are you denying that the purpose of this law is to influence attitudes and behaviours? And if that's not the purpose of it, then what exactly is the point of it at all?

Non-drinkers and (genuine) moderate drinkers aside, attitudes and behaviours towards alcohol in this country are pretty shocking as it is. Too many people have an unhealthy relationship with it, but dare you say that aloud.

Maybe the reset button needs to be pressed. For the sake of the people over doing it, and for the burden it puts on the health system. For too long this country has been associated with the love of drink. It's not a nice generalisation to be plastered with, excuse the pun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I wish they'd hurry up with this. Everytime I pop to the shop for a loaf or some milk I end up coming home with a litre of smirnoff and six cans of stella.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

There is another long running thread discussing the MUP proposal which you will find interesting -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056135175&page=212

The gist of it is that they propose to interfere with the market by setting a minimum price below which drink can't be sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Good news for the curtain industry though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I really can't understand why people have any problem with this. If you want to buy drink you can buy drink, what's the issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You can call it what you like. I don't see it that way. In the grand scheme of things it's not going to effect my life whatsoever, and as I said previously I do take a drink.
    Most people think advertising and social engineering things like these don't work on them. They're precisely the people that these things tend to work on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

There is something a bit sinister in trying to control our lives.

For the benefit of the publicans, not us really. So next up is MUP for alcohol.

Same benefit for the publicans.

Do they really think we are that dumb. Maybe they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

ScumLord wrote: »
    Most people think advertising and social engineering things like these don't work on them. They're precisely the people that these things tend to work on.

You actually believe putting a curtain in front of alcohol is going to discourage children from wanting to drink it?

The other reasoning is also just as absurd, nobody impulse buys alcohol except alcoholics whoc curtains are hardly gonna dissuade from doing so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Non-drinkers and (genuine) moderate drinkers aside, attitudes and behaviours towards alcohol in this country are pretty shocking as it is. Too many people have an unhealthy relationship with it, but dare you say that aloud.

Maybe the reset button needs to be pressed. For the sake of the people over doing it, and for the burden it puts on the health system. For too long this country has been associated with the love of drink. It's not a nice generalisation to be plastered with, excuse the pun.
    Yeah I'm sure throwing up a curtain and pretending it isn't there will help all of the alcoholics and recovering alcoholics just get over their addiction.

It's going to effect their lives about as much as it is going to effect yours which is to say not at all.
    Thinking this is going to change attitudes and behaviours towards drink is laughable.

VinLieger wrote: »
    You actually believe putting a curtain in front of alcohol is going to discourage children from wanting to drink it?
    no, I think it's only going to make them want it more.
    The other reasoning is also just as absurd, nobody impulse buys alcohol except alcoholics whoc curtains are hardly gonna dissuade from doing so
    I'm pretty certain plenty of people would impulse buy alcohol under the right circumstances. You hear people say they buy for Christmas all year round, if they see brandy on sale in June they may well buy it for Christmas knowing aunty Mary drinks it.

Advertising companies don't spend billions of Euros on stuff that doesn't work. Every time you enter a supermarket you start being manipulated by the company that owns the shop. They also fund all sorts of articles in the media to make you even more susceptible to advertising.

You are being manipulated by advertisers every hour of every day, unless you've thrown out your TV, stopped reading news papers, don't do social media at all and don't listen to the radio and then studied advertising techniques you at the mercy of advertisers and aren't even aware of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Our relationship with alcohol has nothing to do with any Nanny Statism at all.

IMV it has to do with the total acceptance of public drunkenness, madness, puking on the street, getting into a fight, ending up killing someone, or A+E, and nobody complains.

There is no police presence anymore, it is reactive, not proactive. No one will say tut tut, s.he's a moron, we just move on. It is accepted.

THAT is what has to change, and it won't happen with a curtain either.

Don't recall seeing public drunkenness and trouble whilst in Southern European countries where you can drink all day and night if you want to, and you can buy it everywhere too at all hours. These countries do not accept public drunkenness. See the difference?

We do not. Unfortunately, that is the reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Half the craic of buying drink is looking at the >€100 bottles of whiskey I can't afford before picking out my cans of Beamish. Great fun.

Curtains will solve nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

ScumLord wrote: »
    no, I think it's only going to make them want it more.

I'm pretty certain plenty of people would impulse buy alcohol under the right circumstances. You hear people say they buy for Christmas all year round, if they see brandy on sale in June they may well buy it for Christmas knowing aunty Mary drinks it.

So they were going to buy it anyway but saw it at a cheap price? Hardly an impulse buy.

I agree alcohol adveryising regulation is a good idea, never had a problem with it so you can get off your high horse there

Any thoughts on the now completely discredited ideas of MUP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

So they were going to buy it anyway but saw it at a cheap price? Hardly an impulse buy.

I agree alcohol adveryising regulation is a good idea, never had a problem with it so you can get off your high horse there

Any thoughts on the now completely discredited ideas of MUP?

Saw it cheap and bought it, that's just the market functioning as its supposed to. The problem with drink is not at the point of purchase. It is only when you drink it that potential problems arise.

Advertising plays an important role in informing the consumer about what is available and what the prices are.

Which brings us to MUP which is the real problem for consumers. Depending on where the minimum price is set this could end up costing a couple who consume moderately ie. bottle of wine and six cans per week between them more than their property tax.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 249 ✭✭Galway_Old_Man

I really do wonder about these people who love to admonish Ireland as having a unique problem with alcohol, have these people travelled at all? Or looked at the statistics? We're far and away from being a special case on the matter. Go to Finland and spend some time with them (bonus points if you can even convince them for a late night takeaway in lieu of more drinking, God bless the snackbox), thank your lucky stars for our pub based culture. Go to the US* and see every Tom, Dick and Harry drink driving, be thankful how completely unacceptable it is here in comparison (we've made massive strides in a relatively short time). Go on and tell me that our pints are more unhealthy than the "we've opened this bottle of spirits, gotta be finished!" attitude in many Eastern European countries. Go to Japan and see the amount of drunkenness from overworked business men. Take a walk through Leith or many parts of Glasgow at 9 a.m. and tell me how many people are in a state already smoking outside pubs.

Alcohol consumption in Ireland hit a high in 2001 and has been decreasing since (might have been a blip last year IIRC).

Do we have an attitude to drink here? Sure. Is it as bad as we make out? No. Are curtains in Spar gonna make us into teetotalers? Sure :D

It's the very definition of an impulse buy. If you don't have it on your shopping list going into the shop then it's an impulse buy.

The same way if you plan to buy a packet of ham and they have a buy 2 get one free, that's an impulse buy. It seems like a deal but in fact you paid twice as much to get more than you wanted to get in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

What does putting alcohol out of view achieve? I can't see the alcohol I'm ordering with Dinner but I'm still going to buy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I really do wonder about these people who love to admonish Ireland as having a unique problem with alcohol, have these people travelled at all? Or looked at the statistics? We're far and away from being a special case on the matter.

They are believers of say something enough times and hope people believe them. Unfortunately that is proving to be the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

If Ireland has a binge drinking culture it manifests in the pubs and clubs. We probably drink less at home then the Italians or French.

Yet we punish wine purchases?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

222233 wrote: »
    What does putting alcohol out of view achieve? I can't see the alcohol I'm ordering with Dinner but I'm still going to buy it.

How can it possibly work for off licences anyway? Dark windows? Secret rooms? What?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

How can it possibly work for off licences anyway? Dark windows? Secret rooms? What?

Lol. It'll definitely stop people going to the off licence to impulse buy alcohol. I'm sure they usually just pop in for some 7up anyway and are persuaded by mass marketing to buy alcohol..

Advertisement