Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maintenance for child over 18

• 17-11-2016 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi All,

I'm just looking for some advice on maintenance for a child that has turned 18. She is currently doing a plc course and lives with her mother. I was paying her mother €80pw for the past 18 years. Now I would like to pay the child instead. Her mother has 5 other younger children and her and her partner has never worked. Each time they get in bother they expect my family to help out. My parents have raised my daughter and while I know that legally maintenance has to be paid and other costs to me (clothes, presents, pocket money etc) are not seen as maintenance I really would like to give my daughter an allowance rather than her mother.

I am in a relationship for the past 15 years and have an 11 year old and a step daughter 19. I work full time and my partner works part time ( was full time up to last year but she is ill ).

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,441 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I'm not in any legal place to comment here so chuck this advice away.. but as she's an adult I think you are perfectly reasonable in thinking any money should go directly to your daughter..

• Registered Users Posts: 4 strezzed

Yes you would think so but if she is in full time education I know there may be some grounds to pay. As I said paying isn't an issue but paying to her mother is. If she was being looked after etc I wouldn't have an issue but she certainty is not.

Advertisement