Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Clothing for a Big Rider

Options
  • 17-11-2016 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I took up cycling earlier this year in an effort to lose weight. The Irish weather being the way it is at this time of year, I need to get some waterproof clothing.

The problem is I cant find waterproof cycling trousers for a 44" waist. Anyone have any idea where I could find them in my size?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Waterproof cycling trousers are the wrong solution anyway. Get some cycling tights, it doesn't matter if they get wet. The waterproof trousers will leave your legs soaked anyway - just with sweat rather than rain - because they will prevent moisture escaping as well as entering.

http://www.aerotechdesigns.com/mebigspwotib.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8 AndyM74

some are breathable, which I thought may help.
    I did think about cycling tights, but there is no way I would wear anything tight fitting at my current weight. Also, I plan on cycling right through the winter and we're on the coast so i'll likely freeze if my legs are soaked in tights

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

AndyM74 wrote: »
    I took up cycling earlier this year in an effort to lose weight. The Irish weather being the way it is at this time of year, I need to get some waterproof clothing.

The problem is I cant find waterproof cycling trousers for a 44" waist. Anyone have any idea where I could find them in my size?

What do you wear in the summer. Cycling shorts, tracksuit bottoms??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I have these and they are pretty good but very rarely use them.Mainly if i'm going to the hospital to see my Dad and its pouring down,like today but never on a long cycle. They end up weighing you down after a while. I also use an Ass saver Mudguard so the two combined usually do the job. I see they do come in up to XXl.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/endura-gridlock-ii-overtrouser-aw16/rp-prod107377

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

some are breathable, which I thought may help.
    I did think about cycling tights, but there is no way I would wear anything tight fitting at my current weight. Also, I plan on cycling right through the winter and we're on the coast so i'll likely freeze if my legs are soaked in tights

Ok up to you.

What I had in mind was "spandex" tights like those I linked to be worn under cotton shorts. That is what I wear commuting, I wear padded Lycra shorts on weekend cycles but I stick to unpadded tights for the commute (during winter). Basicly because I don't want (and wouldn't be thanked for) any revealing bulges as I walk though the office and these are grand for under normal cotton shorts. So don't think in terms of bulging in lycra, they would cling to your legs alright but you would wear normal shorts over them. they are breathable and wicking. They are essentially women's tights just branded for cycling and opaque - so they behave like them but don't look like them.

The ones I have are from Lidl, just checked them they are polydamide, polysterene and Elasthene. I wear them right though the winter, was wet and chilly this morning as you may have noticed, they do the job fine. Won't get alot colder/wetter than today. They get wet but it doesn't matter - you stay warm and take them off when you get to where you are going.

I threw them on a rad in the office and they are bone dry again now. The max size they do is XXL - might stretch to 44" waist (probably would) but I expect they would not be comfortable. During the warmer months i basically wear the short legged equivalent, unpadded and underwear rather than shorts - again under normal cotton shorts.

Because they cling like nylon tights it doesn't matter if they are wet - they are not rubbing cold wet fabric against you in the way trousers would.

• Advertisement

@seaswimmer, usualy wear lose fitting shorts

@irishlover99, they only go up to 41" but thanks for the suggestion

@Fian, so you are saying normal lycra will still keep me warm in the rain? if so then I would wear it with my loose summer shorts over the top

Cant post the url to what I have just found as I am a new user here, but i have found Funkier Grosseto are done in my size. I was just trying to find somewhere other than America that sold them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

@seaswimmer, usualy wear lose fitting shorts

@irishlover99, they only go up to 41" but thanks for the suggestion

@Fian, so you are saying normal lycra will still keep me warm in the rain? if so then I would wear it with my loose summer shorts over the top

Cant post the url to what I have just found as I am a new user here, but i have found Funkier Grosseto are done in my size. I was just trying to find somewhere other than America that sold them

I would go with Fians suggestion.

Stick with the summer shorts and a pair of lycra bottoms underneath.

Yes they will keep you warm if you get a pair with fleece in side. A good pair will also have some water repellant properties. And if you like, baggy shorts over the to will finish the job for you. Benefits over waterproof trousers are they won't be flapping around in the wind and slowing you down.

thanks, ill give that a go then

Its looks like these in the XXXL go up to 44 waist. I couldn't tell you what the quality is like but a quick Google should bring up some reviews

http://www.d2dcyclingclothing.co.uk/product/mens-classic-thermal-bib-tights/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

You could try Fat Lad At The Back
    Set up by larger cyclists to cater for larger cyclists.

Great brand name too :)

Thanks for both those suggestions. I went with the D2D one as it was a bit cheaper than fatlads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

See if Aldi have any of their winter/pro gear left. It's very good stuff and you can't go wrong at their prices. You can still wear shorts over bibs/cycling shorts btw! I know a few fellas who do when commuting into work.

Where are you based?

I'm in Dungarvan Co. Waterford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

I'm in Dungarvan Co. Waterford

Your trying to stay comfortable on bike during winter?
    1. Full mudguards are the lowest hanging fruit by a distance. Keeps cold water of your lower back and feet when road is wet.
    2. Warm cycling jacket with a layer or two depending on day and your tolerance for cold.
    3. You have just got advice on legs
    4. Gloves, overshoes buff

Don't overdress if you are working hard you'll warm up quick enough, you'll figure it out as you go.

Join your local club, they are a decent bunch and cater for all levels; you can move up as you improve

Thanks for the extra info. Already got waterproof overshoes, gloves and a light waterproof cycling jacket (figured its easier to wear warm clothes under it if I need to).
    Haven't the budget for mudguards till the end of the month.

Doubt I would fit in in a cycling club either at the moment. My bike is a Fatbike. Gearing is quite low so everyone would leave me behind on tarmac and I'm not yet fit enough to take it offroad. Also need to upgrade the wheels before it goes off road too because the ones it came with are a bit crap.
    I'll think about an off road cycling club maybe next Autumn depending on how well I've come on by then

Advertisement