Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yaris 1.0 or 1.3

• 17-11-2016 12:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭

Just curious, out of the Mark 1 which is the one to have? Thinking 2005 and was wondering does the 1.3 attract a premium at all or is it better to stick to the 1.0?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭kay 9

The 1.3 is well ahead of the 1.0 imo. Much better cruiser and surprisingly nippy. Has a timing chain as well I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭coolbeans

kay 9 wrote: »
    The 1.3 is well ahead of the 1.0 imo. Much better cruiser and surprisingly nippy. Has a timing chain as well I think.

I'm just thinking of one as a bridging car while I buy something else. I'm in UK at the moment so would bring it home, VRT it and hope to sell it on for a two or three hundred quid profit. Wondering if the 1.3 would put people off when I want to shift it. Is the D4D worth considering at all? Total budget about E1500 including VRT. Or maybe an Aygo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

For resale the 1 litre would be much easier to sell on here, they go for crazy high money compared to other cars of the same age.

Would you really pick up a 2005 there for €1500? Good examples here going for €3k plus.

For resale the 1 litre would be much easier to sell on here, they go for crazy high money compared to other cars of the same age.

Would you really pick up a 2005 there for €1500? Good examples here going for €3k plus.

Thanks. Re your question, yes you would, easily, with certified mileage and history. VRT is roughly E400 or less with less than 100000 miles on the clock. I'm thinking of picking one up to bring home. Should pay for the ferry if I get a good one. Aygos are similar money too. Which one would sell better when I want to offload?

M

coolbeans wrote: »
    Thanks. Re your question, yes you would, easily, with certified mileage and history. VRT is roughly E400 or less with less than 100000 miles on the clock. I'm thinking of picking one up to bring home. Should pay for the ferry if I get a good one. Aygos are similar money too. Which one would sell better when I want to offload?

A Yaris with 5 doors would be easiest to sell, then the 3 door, then the Aygo. There's a model change in 2005 for the Yaris so if you got the newer one it would be worth most but I wouldn't go shelling out too much extra. The Aygo will not sell as well because it's smaller but it will sell.

• Advertisement

Five door 1.0l Yaris it is so. I'll be looking out for the last of the first gen Yaris. Anything to look out for on them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭kay 9

If you're living in the UK you won't have to pay the vrt to register it here. Only clause being you have to keep it for a year I think before moving it on.

kay 9 wrote: »
    If you're living in the UK you won't have to pay the vrt to register it here. Only clause being you have to keep it for a year I think before moving it on.

Yeah thanks for that. I've just sold my Abarth :( but not sure what to get now. This will be a bridging car to get me over the Christmas and hopefully I'll make a few hundred on it. I trade in the UK more than Ireland so I'll pay the VRT and be done with it. Most likely offload it in Ireland the end of January.

Anything that needs looking out for?

To be honest I think it unlikely that I'd get E3k for one. I'll be happy once I make a few hundred.

M

Five door 1.0l Yaris it is so. I'll be looking out for the last of the first gen Yaris. Anything to look out for on them?

Get the models after entry level that have body coloured bumpers instead of the black plastic, will sell easier. I'd say listen that the timing chain is not making any loud racket when running, shouldn't need to be replaced once car was not abused. Also the 2005 model onwards is 3 cyclinder so makes a bit more noise at speed than the pre 2005 but the car itself is better spec. Try to get one that the mouldings below the rear bumper are not bashed in, a common occurance from bad parking and collisions like this...

YmYxMmE5OGRhYmI2YWIzNmFlMDBmYTlkNDIzYWE3MWOUeuWuEDO0Q667AFKL6kmeaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182NDg3NTM0OHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you intend on selling the car on here quickly then the 1.0 litre is definitely more desirable here due to insurance and motor tax. Try and get one of the special edition "Colour" or higher spec TR models too as it will make it easier to sell on. 5 doors variants will give you access to more buyers than the 3 door too and don't go for a dull, faded or loud colour like gold, bright blue, white, etc. Stick to easy colours like silver, grey, red or navy that scrub up well when cleaned.

bazz26 wrote: »
    If you intend on selling the car on here quickly then the 1.0 litre is definitely more desirable here due to insurance and motor tax. Try and get one of the special edition "Colour" or higher spec TR models too as it will make it easier to sell on. 5 doors variants will give you access to more buyers than the 3 door too and don't go for a dull, faded or loud colour like gold, bright blue, white, etc. Stick to easy colours like silver, grey, red or navy that scrub up well when cleaned.

All is good advice. I'll look out for a Colour Collection that's not been bashed about. I may have to compromise on the no. of doors as the 3 doors outnumber the 5 door by at least 4 to 1 on Autotrader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It'll need to be 5 door to sell easily.

Here are the uk specs post 03

T2
    Colour coded bumpers
    Power Steering
    Drivers airbag
    Manual Windows
    Manual locking
    Rear headrests
    ABS

T3 adds to T2
    Passenger and side airbags
    Front electric Windows
    Remote central locking with double locking
    CD Player
    Leather Steering Wheel and Gearknob

T-Spirit adds to T3
    Air conditioning, Manual sunroof, Alloy wheels, Electric mirrors, Front fogs, colour coded rubbing strips in bumpers, height adjust seat, remote audio, satin silver trim on doors, gearknob and heater, colour coded mirrors

Colour Collection adds to T3
    Front fogs, colour coded rubbing strips in bumpers, height adjust seat, Chrome exhaust tip, scuff plates, remote audio. Colour coded mirrors

Blue adds to Colour Collection
    Alloy wheels

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It'll need to be 5 door to sell easily.

Here are the uk specs post 03

T2
    Colour coded bumpers
    Power Steering
    Drivers airbag
    Manual Windows
    Manual locking
    Rear headrests
    ABS

T3 adds to T2
    Passenger and side airbags
    Front electric Windows
    Remote central locking with double locking
    CD Player
    Leather Steering Wheel and Gearknob

T-Spirit adds to T3
    Air conditioning, Manual sunroof, Alloy wheels, Electric mirrors, Front fogs, colour coded rubbing strips in bumpers, height adjust seat, remote audio, satin silver trim on doors, gearknob and heater, colour coded mirrors

Colour Collection adds to T3
    Front fogs, colour coded rubbing strips in bumpers, height adjust seat, Chrome exhaust tip, scuff plates, remote audio. Colour coded mirrors

Blue adds to Colour Collection
    Alloy wheels

Great stuff Colm. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

Just on the topic of Yaris and its engine. I've a Yaris 1.0 06, looking to upgrade it. Been looking at Yaris up North and they all seem to be 1.33 (very few 1.0 litres).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

mad m wrote: »
    Just on the topic of Yaris and its engine. I've a Yaris 1.0 06, looking to upgrade it. Been looking at Yaris up North and they all seem to be 1.33 (very few 1.0 litres).

Far nicer engine. Smoother and more powerful and has a 6 speed gearbox. Still has cheap tax. Transforms the newer Yaris.

Look at the hybrid too.

Hey again people. Just wondering would a 2005 d4d 1.4 be sellable relatively quickly or am I better off sticking to the 1.0 for ultimate flipability?

The mother has the 1.33 in her Urban Cruiser. I think it's a little gem an engine. Good power for what it is, economical and reliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Hey again people. Just wondering would a 2005 d4d 1.4 be sellable relatively quickly or am I better off sticking to the 1.0 for ultimate flipability?

It's all about the 1.0 for anything before 2008. You'd have some hope of shifting a bigger engine after that as all Yarises are cheap to tax on the new system.

I don't know why people love the 1.0 so much, sure it's got a bit of poke for such a small engine, but I've driven the 1.3 Yaris (admittedly not the Dual VVTi one with the six speed box but the older five speed VVTi version) and leaving aside the fact that it's a terrible car to drive (no feel whatsoever through any of the controls and not good at handling despite its tiny size, either), it's really not fast at all so I shudder to think just how slow the 1.0 is. Anyone who's driven both engines says the 1.3 is light years ahead of the 1.0 engine.

It's all about the 1.0 for anything before 2008. You'd have some hope of shifting a bigger engine after that as all Yarises are cheap to tax on the new system.

I don't know why people love the 1.0 so much, sure it's got a bit of poke for such a small engine, but I've driven the 1.3 Yaris (admittedly not the Dual VVTi one with the six speed box but the older five speed VVTi version) and leaving aside the fact that it's a terrible car to drive (no feel whatsoever through any of the controls and not good at handling despite its tiny size, either), it's really not fast at all so I shudder to think just how slow the 1.0 is. Anyone who's driven both engines says the 1.3 is light years ahead of the 1.0 engine.

What you say is all true but ultimately I'm interested in finding an honest car for pottering about while I consider what to replace the Abarth with, and then getting rid of it by end of January. I don't wanna be driving a 1.0 yaris for longer than that. The 1.3 won't sell quick, nor will the diesel apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

What you say is all true but ultimately I'm interested in finding an honest car for pottering about while I consider what to replace the Abarth with, and then getting rid of it by end of January. I don't wanna be driving a 1.0 yaris for longer than that. The 1.3 won't sell quick, nor will the diesel apparently.

In that case just get the 1.0 and be done with it, they're very popular cars (in fairness they play the role of a first car for a learner driver extremely well).

In that case just get the 1.0 and be done with it, they're very popular cars (in fairness they play the role of a first car for a learner driver extremely well).

Gonna view a five door tomorrow. I'll keep you updated.
    Thanks to Atlantic dawn too who I forgot to acknowledge a few days ago.

So I've picked up a red 2007 Yaris, five door, one litre. It's an 'Ion' spec so no air con or alloys. 58000 miles and the owner was an old boy who left his classical cd collection in the glovebox. That's0the kind of owner I like to buy from.

Body is good but not mint. Bumper clip missing on the back and a scuff up front. Nice car otherwise and driving unexpectedly well.

I'm gonna VRT it and put it thru the test. Any ideas how much I should ask? Would ideally like it gone by the end of January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

The 1.3 is a better engine in terms of performance but for short trips and city driving(what the yaris was made for) there will be little between them. The 4 cylinder 1.0 in the mk1 is cheap to tax and is a reliable smooth unit with good fuel economy. I think that does it for most people. The 1.3 shines on the open road though.

I don't know how you find it a poor handling car though. I think it's one of the better handling small cars with a good responsive steering.

Advertisement