Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The scourge of security alarms

• 17-11-2016 12:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭

I love living in the centre of Limerick City. I rarely have to use my car, most of what I need is on my doorstep or an easy bike journey away. My social life is good and I've so much more time to do things than I would if I spent a lot of the day in a car going to and from places.

But .... the real downside to living (and working) in the city centre is the security alarms which fairly regularly go off during day and night. I've frequently tracked down where the noise is emanating from and it's never been a case of a break in. Every single time it's a false alarm.

I'm not sure what can be done about this. Maybe bye-laws can be brought in that would restrict their use or fine owners who repeatedly allow alarms to go off and don't reset them.

If we want more people to live in the city centre (and I think everyone agrees that this is what Limerick needs), then this is something that needs to be dealt with. I'm just not sure how. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Maybe break a window and see what happens :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Mc Love wrote: »
    Maybe break a window and see what happens :D

I'd be lying if I said it hadn't crossed my mind :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

How have the populated cities of the world solved this issue or has Limerick more than it's fair share of faulty alarms?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

phog wrote: »
    How have the populated cities of the world solved this issue or has Limerick more than it's fair share of faulty alarms?

I don't know. I think one of the problems Limerick has is that not enough people live in the centre (only about 3,000 in the centre out of a metropolitan population of 100,000), so there's few people who would complain when alarms go off. There's no residents association where I live, for example, and very few neighbours. By contrast, if an alarm repeatedly goes off in a suburban housing estate then the neighbours and residents association will get to the bottom of it and it won't be a persistent issue.

Also, the owners of buildings (which are mostly offices) don't live in the city, so when their alarm goes off it's not their problem. They shut up shop at 5.30pm and aren't back in again until 8.30 the next morning.

• Advertisement
Advertisement