Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Touchscreen alarm system

Options
  • 17-11-2016 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi I'm looking to upgrade my alarm system prewired HKC, to wireless or hybrid Honeywell galaxy or DSC, any opinion, comments, advice, maybe some other system? It has to be touchscreen with friendly interface plus app control
    Thank you for any info

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

For touchscreen with a good app I'd recommend Siemens/Vanderbilt SPC4320.
    It has the option of a nice touch screen keypad with multi card reader.
    index.php?rex_resize=700w__gs_einbruchmeldesystem_mit_kompaktem_touchkey-bedienteil.jpg
    The app is SPC Connect its free to download & use . Both Android & IOS versions have a build in demo version so its worth downloading & have a look over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

I agree with KoolKid, you might have inertia shock sensors fitted as part of your system and I have my doubts is either DSC or Honey well panels have analysed inputs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 chicobonito

How reliable is Siemens system? I don't mind to spend few extra quids for something solid like Honeywell not sure abt DSC performers, visonics has similar panel to this but still Honeywell/DSC is more interactive plus as a hybrid system I can keep some old sensors and add new ones and in the future I can pair it with cctv system

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Developed by Siemens. The brand speaks for itself.
    Its rock solid, we are installing them almost every day.

I would recommend Siemens as well, i feel their products are better than the manufacturers you mentioned OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

roughly, what would the price be for Siemens SPC4320 (wireless setup) for a 4 bedroom detached house give or take.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

regedit wrote: »
    roughly, what would the price be for Siemens SPC4320 (wireless setup) for a 4 bedroom detached house give or take.

I'd like to know this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I'd like to know this too.

Siemens don't do wireless shock sensors so you can't have a properly installed alarm with perimeter protection without using 3rd party products. It was a huge let down when they announced that they weren't providing these devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Siemens don't do wireless shock sensors so you can't have a properly installed alarm with perimeter protection without using 3rd party products. It was a huge let down when they announced that they weren't providing these devices.

Even wired would do. It's to replace an existing system.

Then Siemens/Vanderbilt would be my first recommendation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

Have Siemens/Vanderbilt scrapped the making of the shock sensors, thought they where looking into developing one last year?

altor wrote: »
    Have Siemens/Vanderbilt scrapped the making of the shock sensors, thought they where looking into developing one last year?

First I've heard of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hi,

I have the 5xxx and the 4xxx keypads.

I will love it that the 5320 interface BUT with the 4320 physical keys !
    It could be my skin / my fingers but sometime im losing my patience on that fcuking touch panel...not responding,then try harder does the response twice, that you cannot find why it beeped twice rather than once.Then,what i was doing ,go back,go forward,no repsonse...

Not responding at all is comon these days..i have to put my finger on my lips before doing any serious engineering changes.

Have fun...

rolion wrote: »
    Hi,

I have the 5xxx and the 4xxx keypads.

I will love it that the 5320 interface BUT with the 4320 physical keys !
    It could be my skin / my fingers but sometime im losing my patience on that fcuking touch panel...not responding,then try harder does the response twice, that you cannot find why it beeped twice rather than once.Then,what i was doing ,go back,go forward,no repsonse...

Not responding at all is comon these days..i have to put my finger on my lips before doing any serious engineering changes.

Have fun...

The Siemens touchscreen keypad is terrible and has serious issues. So much so that we will not install them as we had to remove several of them as the end users just couldn't operate the system. I had one installed in my own house but removed it as it didn't work correctly.

Issue has been resolved a good while & they have offered free replacement on any of the older hardware. If you have any in place you just need the serial number to get an RMA for a free replacement.

KoolKid wrote: »
    Issue has been resolved a good while & they have offered free replacement on any of the older hardware. If you have any in place you just need the serial number to get an RMA for a free replacement.

Thanks. Have one in the van that I took out.

I am getting a sense of deja vu here about Europlex / Siemens / Vanderbilt and troublesome keypads.

But that was a long time ago.

On the advice of Mr T S I replaced the touchscreen keypads & have not had any issues with newer ones. I have 2 in my own house that would get well above average daily usage.

Mr T S?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

How much for a new build 4bed semi, prewired for alarm installation. Siemens system? Pm me - job would be in Dublin 15

• Advertisement

Mr T S?

Pmed you.
    Don't want to be naming names on a public forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 PaulnLaura

Hi Guys, need to get alarm in the new build 4 bed prewired house. Looking for contacts + shock sensors on the windows, 3 wireless motion sensors, perimeter protection. Self monitored using app. Got very different response from installers. One offering shock sensors another is saying its waste of time. Different systems also one offering HKC 1070 and claiming that Siemens SPCK 521 or SPCK 420 are terrible. Really lost here as to were to go. Would appreciate your feedback on what's is the best option

Generally the guys telling you a system is terrible means they don't know how to ,or don't want to install it.
    There is noting wrong with the Siemens/Vanderbilt panel. The Siemens brand speaks for itself. We are installing these systems almost every day with no issues.
    If you are going down the self monitoring via an app I'd advise you do a good bit of research into the charges . Most , like Siemens/Vanderbilt , are free, but HKC charge for every app you download & tie you to monthly subscriptions to use the app.
    Also look into the polling times. This is the time, after which you are notified if your network goes down and comms is lost to the server.The HKC standard time is 8 hours. The premium package is 90 minutes.
    Most other panels do this in a matter of minutes for free. Siemens/Vanderbilt can be set below 30 seconds if you wish at no charge.
    IMO The SPCK521 is the best touch screen Keypad on the market here. Lovely finish & the multi card reader accepts almost all cards. I'm actually working with them at the moment to get NFC working on them.
    If you are looking at free apps & good service I'd also recommend looking at GSDs panels. The also have free apps & usage & very prompt polling notifications.
    My advice, as always, is shop around.In any service I would beware of any company or individual who only know 1 system.

Appreciate fast response. I had a feeling of not wanting to deal with the different panels. What's your view on shocks/contacts? I thing to go with Siemens then. Any recomendations of installers in Dublin? So far found only one company that does them, would like to compare charges for full system and installation

Shocks and contacts on all accessible windows and doors would be the norm.
    Shop around, there are plenty out there. Where are you located?

Shock and contacts it is the. Located in South Dublin and will need alarm done mid Feb

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭rameire

My parents in Dub 9 are looking to get a house alarm.
    Dad is a handy man so he was thinking of installing a Yale diy kit.

Im not sure it may be what they need, his response was, ah sure something that makes a bit of noise to scare the robbers off, Im thinking robbers dont really care if there is an alarm on a house, its more of what you can do with the alarm or what it does for you in addition to the noise.

They do have broadband and a basic mobile phone and if required will get a smart phone,
    but if they do get an alarm system, will they require a smart phone to get the most out of the system, or could they just do with phone and txt notification?
    house is semi-d, 3 bed. non wired.
    feel free to pm if needed.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

First things first. Keep away from yale and any other DIY systems. You would be better off with nothing.
    If the logic is going to be once it makes noise you need to do more research. Burglars are more than happy, nowadays, to disable any cheap system.
    You could go with an app system or voice or text for a more basic system. Or you could have both.

Advertisement