Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Master socket/NTU setup in house looks wrong

Options
  • 17-11-2016 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to tidy up the phone/router connections in my Dad's house as he's having some issues with internet connectivity & phones not working. I've been reading up on dsl connections over the last while, and what I see in his house doesn't look right to me.

Currently, the phone line in from outside is connected to an old Eircom/Telecom Eireann master socket (Siemens Jacks mod. 1m/1) in the hallway, similar to this:
    R0010800.jpg

There are two extension cables running from the back of this to other ends of the house:
    31015146156_ce005779bf.jpg

In the photo above, the orange and orange/white pair connected to terminals 6 & 1 are from the incoming phone line. The extension cables have a pair each connected to terminals 4 & 3.

One of these extensions runs to a phone extension socket in his office to which he has connected a phone/fax.
    The other extension connects to a newer master socket/NTU in the kitchen (uk reg des 2097942).

30936789781_7512cf15a8.jpg

First of all, I'm wondering if there should be one master socket connected after another?
    Second, I'd like to move the newer master socket to his office so he can plug in the router there & hook up his PC to the router. The line in from outside runs through the attic but isn't long enough to reach his office. Can I just extend it with Cat5e cable to get the master socket into the office?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hallway(Old Type): Is the MDP
    Kitchen(New Type): Is an extension. Located there it has none of "master" properties in use.

Formally, the termination should remain at the end of the drop(Attic/Hallway) as that's the demarcation point. If you move this cleanly then techs won't care though.

1. Disconnect Hallway
    2. Join 5e extension to drop with jelly clips (Dont put any more unwind in than you have to)
    3. Terminate said 5e at the socket in the office, this becomes your master
    4. Connect the modem to the left port
    5. Connect phone there (if present) to right
    6. Back feed any other sockets in the house from the rear extension terminal

If you need the hall live, it means another run. You may need to run the kitchen to the office too.

Also if you have a monitored alarm thats still phone based that complicates things. Same goes for Medi Alert systems and panic buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

ED E wrote: »
    6. Back feed any other sockets in the house from the rear extension terminal

If you need the hall live, it means another run. You may need to run the kitchen to the office too.

Thanks ED E. By rear extension terminal do you mean the L1 & L2 terminals in the CCU part of the newer master socket? I'm thinking I'll run one extension from the master socket in the office back to the kitchen, then daisy chain from the kitchen back to the hallway. That should work shouldn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

www.reci.ie/Portals/0/Documents/eircominterface.pdf

Yep, L1 and L2 as you've said. If its just for phones you can loop them like that no problem.

Advertisement