Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hostile neighbours in rented house

Options
  • 17-11-2016 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

I need advice, the house next door to us is a rented house <mod snip>. They have been in the house a few years now and until recently the past 6 months or so they have become a fecking nuisance. Another of our neighbours issued a complaint to the landlord or whoever is responsible for the house and my neighbour thought it was me who made the complaint. He comes around putting a threatening letter into my letter box stating he will call the Gards on us if we complained again! I caught him doing this and I called him back and told him it wasn't us and to get his facts right before coming around to my house at 2:00am putting notes in my letter box! We didn't really get anywhere with the conversation as he seemed adamant it was me so I walked back into my house. Now I want to make a complaint but I have no idea who the landlord is because this scruffy looking fecker sitting in the house all day doing nothing certainly doesn't own the house!

Who can advise me what moves to make to source who is responsible for the tenants being there? I need to let this "character" know he has no right to harass me and point his big fat finger of intimidation in my direction. :mad:

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,502 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Do you still have the letter? Photocopy it and send a copy to the housing department with a brief explanation. I don't know, but if the LL is leasing to Social Housing, is it their problem rather than the landlords? I suggest you do totally reasonable rather than including sentences like your last sentence; that sounds more as though you want to escalate the problem than solve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If he's threatening to call the guards on you (rather than beating you up), then I wonder what he thinks you're doing?

What is he doing that you don't like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

looksee wrote: »
    Do you still have the letter? Photocopy it and send a copy to the housing department with a brief explanation. I don't know, but if the LL is leasing to Social Housing, is it their problem rather than the landlords? I suggest you do totally reasonable rather than including sentences like your last sentence; that sounds more as though you want to escalate the problem than solve it.

I don't have it anymore I handed it back to him, I am entitled to make a complaint if I am being threatened by this individual. I don't want to escalate the problem but he is not the sort of man to sit down and have a chat with. He needs a firm talking to as it's the only way people like him will learn. I don't want to sit back and do nothing for him to try something else on me again down the line.

If he's threatening to call the guards on you (rather than beating you up), then I wonder what he thinks you're doing?

What is he doing that you don't like?

I did nothing , he got his facts wrong and accused me for someone elses doings. I have no idea who filed the complaint about him or for what reason they did it. But maybe he feels mentioning the gards will scare this person into not complaining about him again therefore not risking him getting kicked out of his accommodation or something. I am entitled to come home after work without having people popping letters in my letter box because they got their wires crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I did nothing , he got his facts wrong and accused me for someone elses doings. I have no idea who filed the complaint about him or for what reason they did it. But maybe he feels mentioning the gards will scare this person into not complaining about him again therefore not risking him getting kicked out of his accommodation or something. I am entitled to come home after work without having people popping letters in my letter box because they got their wires crossed.

You are making the himilayas out of a mole bungalow. Popping a letter through someone's letterbox is hardly a hostile act......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭dobman88

Tbh, the only person sounding any way hostile in this situation is yourself OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah you need to chill the fnck out.

He's an idiot, but all he did was stick a passive-aggressive note through your door. You've explained that it wasn't you, that's it.

Even if you knew who to make a complaint to, you don't really have any grounds for making one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

You are making the himilayas out of a mole bungalow. Popping a letter through someone's letterbox is hardly a hostile act......

TBH i would take similar offence to the OP to that kind of thing, what gave the scumbag next door the right to come onto the OP's private property and drop off his note a 2 am , not a chance id be having that.
    dobman88 wrote: »
    Tbh, the only person sounding any way hostile in this situation is yourself OP.

I think the OP has every reason to be feeling a little hostile towards the undesirable living next door to him.

You don't need a copy of the note OP , maybe talk to some of your other neighbors see who reported him in the first place find out to where or to whom they did and make your own complaint. I fully get where you're coming from if they were next door to me i'd want them gone too.

TBH i would take similar offence to the OP to that kind of thing, what gave the scumbag next door the right to come onto the OP's private property and drop off his note a 2 am , not a chance id be having that.

I think the OP has every reason to be feeling a little hostile towards the undesirable living next door to him.

You don't need a copy of the note OP , maybe talk to some of your other neighbors see who reported him in the first place find out to where or to whom they did and make your own complaint. I fully get where you're coming from if they were next door to me i'd want them gone too.

"I'd like to report my neighbour"
    "OK, what has he done"
    "He put a letter through my letterbox"
    "OK, well have the ARU around as soon as possible"

"I'd like to report my neighbour"
    "OK, what has he done"
    "He put a letter through my letterbox"
    "OK, well have the ARU around as soon as possible"

Read the OP's post he said they've been a pain in the hole for moths , I'm sure he's a few other tales to tell here , another neighbor has already reported them and the note thing though totally cowardly (done at 2am) and beyond retarded(i'll call the guards) could be made sound threatening, if spun the right way.

Bottom line if people like this moved in beside me , i'd want them out and i certainly wouldn't want them on my property under any circumstance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

There's a form you can fill in and send to PRTB. If the tenancy is registered the PRTB will give you the postal address of the landlord they have on file.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Totally blown out of proportion, these neighbours were totally fine for years and all of sudden they're scumbags!! You are the one causing the hostility.

pilly wrote: »
    Totally blown out of proportion, these neighbours were totally fine for years and all of sudden they're scumbags!! You are the one causing the hostility.

They are not perfect and neither am I but I don't go around pointing the finger and upsetting the neighbours over something I have no proof off. The point here is to get my voice heard so this guy will be abit more grown up in his actions next time. Very mature for a grown man writing silly little notes like a little kid and going around to your house at 2am when it's nice and dark isn't it? Might seem like a small deal to you but it's not to me.

ANYWAYS I have got some constructive answers here so I'll leave it at that.

Read the OP's post he said they've been a pain in the hole for moths , I'm sure he's a few other tales to tell here , another neighbor has already reported them and the note thing though totally cowardly (done at 2am) and beyond retarded(i'll call the guards) could be made sound threatening, if spun the right way.

Bottom line if people like this moved in beside me , i'd want them out and i certainly wouldn't want them on my property under any circumstance.

They've lived there for years and suddenly became a pain in the hole. I'd say there's two sides to that story. And a letter saying they will get the Gardai involved could be spun to be threatening? Are you having a laugh?? The only possible way that that could be construed as "threatening" is if the OP was up to something illegal in his house and the neighbour was going to rat him up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

There is no law against putting a letter in someones letter box, take a step back and let it go.

They are not perfect and neither am I but I don't go around pointing the finger and upsetting the neighbours over something I have no proof off. The point here is to get my voice heard so this guy will be abit more grown up in his actions next time. Very mature for a grown man writing silly little notes like a little kid and going around to your house at 2am when it's nice and dark isn't it? Might seem like a small deal to you but it's not to me.

Good man StereoSound
    They've lived there for years and suddenly became a pain in the hole. I'd say there's two sides to that story. And a letter saying they will get the Gardai involved could be spun to be threatening? Are you having a laugh?? The only possible way that that could be construed as "threatening" is if the OP was up to something illegal in his house and the neighbour was going to rat him up.

You can spin someone coming on to you're property at 2 am anyway you like , the OP actualy confronted him about the note who's to say he didn't get aggressive or threatening. its not the note or its content its the actual action , that's what can be twisted and spun. the neighbor is clearly a knuckle dragger because his little act of pettiness has left him wide open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

A bad tenant is a bad tenant irrespective of who is paying their rent. Make a 3rd party complaint to the RTB if there's actually a tangible problem

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

What problems have you and them caused in the past?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

What has he done this neighbour? And the other posters calling him a scumbag, undesirable and hostile, I dont see any of that from what i've read. The OP needs to tell us what this neighbour has done or it looks like hes being the hostile one.

Good man StereoSound

You can spin someone coming on to you're property at 2 am anyway you like , the OP actualy confronted him about the note who's to say he didn't get aggressive or threatening. its not the note or its content its the actual action , that's what can be twisted and spun. the neighbor is clearly a knuckle dragger because his little act of pettiness has left him wide open

Ah stop now, clearly a knuckle dragger for putting a note in someone's letterbox, seriously? You meant to put a sarcasm face after that right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

OP any chance you can tell us what he is actually doing to annoy you apart from posting a letter through your letterbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Read the OP's post he said they've been a pain in the hole for moths

Then maybe the moths should be making a complaint....bloody moth botherers!

Unfortunately, being a pain in the hole is not a legal offence....yet!

Riskymove wrote: »
    Then maybe the moths should be making a complaint....bloody moth botherers!

Unfortunately, being a pain in the hole is not a legal offence....yet!

Apologies for the dyslexia , clearly meant Months.

It depends plenty of being a pain in the hole behaviors are offences and they don't have to be criminal offences to get a landlord to kick someone out most landlords once they start getting complaints will look to just chuck the tenants out , in order to get the complaints to stop ... don't think the OP wants his neighbor imprisoned just moved somewhere else.

a grown man writing silly little notes like a little kid and going around to your house at 2am when it's nice and dark isn't it?
    It depends plenty of being a pain in the hole behaviors are offences and they don't have to be criminal offences to get a landlord to kick someone out most landlords once they start getting complaints will look to just chuck the tenants out , in order to get the complaints to stop ... don't think the OP wants his neighbor imprisoned just moved somewhere else.

You think the OP wants to have his neighbour evicted for dropping a note in his letter box in the middle of the night and you think that's OK??
    He comes around putting a threatening letter into my letter box stating he will call the Gards on us if we complained again!

he has no right to harass me and point his big fat finger of intimidation in my direction. :mad:
    I am entitled to make a complaint if I am being threatened by this individual
    maybe he feels mentioning the gards will scare this person into not complaining about him again therefore not risking him getting kicked out of his accommodation or something

And I find it very strange that someone saying they would call the Gardaí is something that the OP finds "hostile", "threatening" and "intimidating". Anyone I know would laugh at the dumbass and dare him to try.

You think the OP wants to have his neighbour evicted for dropping a note in his letter box in the middle of the night and you think that's OK??

And I find it very strange that someone saying they would call the Gardaí is something that the OP finds "hostile", "threatening" and "intimidating". Anyone I know would laugh at the dumbass and dare him to try.

Especially if you were innocent of any crime!! I would certainly laugh it off and tell him to go off with himself and call the guards. There's a reason here that he threatened to call the guards, he knew it would piss OP off.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

This thread sounds alot like handbags.

Who has the biggest handbag we may never know.

But handbags none the less. Not Quite handbags at dawn just 2am.

I too tend to sit up at 2am waiting for a letter to come into the letterbox......

alot more to this story, ahem handbags than meets the eye

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

listermint wrote: »
    alot more to this story, ahem handbags than meets the eye

Indeed and yet plenty of people around to answer a question that wasn't asked without any of the background.

OP, you should be able to lodge a complaint with the RTB. Obviously you risk making the relationship with you neighbour worse in the sort-term so you'll have to decide if it's appropriate (or worth it).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Graham wrote: »
    Indeed and yet plenty of people around to answer a question that wasn't asked without any of the background.

OP, you should be able to lodge a complaint with the RTB. Obviously you risk making the relationship with you neighbour worse in the sort-term so you'll have to decide if it's appropriate (or worth it).

But what does he want the LL to do.? Give out to the tenant for falsely accusing the neighbour in writing by placing a letter in the letter box.

It's nuts.

There's either more to this whole thing or the op needs to down a bottle of rescue remedy

I don't want to dive into this to deep but Just to clarify what I mean by being a pain for months. For us personally in the house we are finding him extremely noisy and shouting his head off randomly during the night. You can hear this lad through the walls clear as day. I don't know what thats all about but we find it disturbing from our side of the fence listening to that when we have young kids here in our house being woken up by him. This has happened many many times yet we never knocked into him about it since we feel it's a personal thing and not any of our business despite it genuinely being a annoyance for us.

However, the basis of my complaint is his actions towards me when I have barely uttered a spoken word to this guy in the 4 odd years he has been there. I didnt even know his first name until I asked him when I caught him. If I never caught him posting that note in my door I would never have known it was him who did it. He obviously wanted it to be anyonymous. Alot of the neighbours on my road are OAPs and somone complained and I don't know the reason for the complaint yet. Im not in the house during the day so I don't know anything about his day time activities. I Feel he found it convenient to blame me because I'm his next door neighbour. If he had been reasonable with me when I confronted him as I caught him maybe I wouldn't complain but he was just being a bolll!x to me raising his voice and predictably unprepared to listen despite my efforts.

I'm well within my rights to stand up for myself and won't let someone like that try and make a fool out of me outside my front door in the early hours of the morning with my kids upstairs asleep. Who the hell would allow that for God's sake?

Anyways thanks for all the advice.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement