Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone dying with high battery

Options
  • 17-11-2016 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭

So ive recently got a new (second hand new) iPhone 6s and today is the third time i went to pick it up and use it and it just died on me. It was on circa 42% but when it died it told me that it needed to be charged (you know when you press a button and you can see the icon to charge it).
    This also used to happen with my iPhone 4.
    Ive gone online and read a few articles but got nothing concrete as to why this happens. Its very annoying especially when you need your phone. The minute I plug it back in the charge is back to what it died at, so it wasnt down to 1% when it died. It seems to be a common enough problem, but no solution or answer to it.
    Anyone shed any light?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

This has been happening to my wifes work iPhone 6. Thing is she has her own iPhone 6 bought around the same time (before she knew she was getting a work phone. Typical!) and it doesnt have that issue.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Depending on the age and how much it was already used the battery might just need to be replaced.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Faulty battery. I had the same problem with my 6s. I've heard so many reports of this from 6s users I reckon there's a bad batch of batteries out there.

If it's within warranty set up a send-in repair with Apple. And even if it's out of warranty, go through Apple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

I have this with an iPhone 6, happens more often after using the camera. Could be over 40% but will not turn on until it is plugged in. Has anyone replaced an iPhone 6 battery themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Send the phone in and get it replaced. It's almost certainly a battery problem, so a software update won't fix it. My battery life had grown noticeably worse in addition to the random shutdowns, which were also starting to happen at higher battery percentages. I've experienced similar issues with older iPhones when the battery is on its way out. But that's usually after 2 or 3 years when the battery is nearing the end of its life. These batteries are obviously faulty.

You don't have to talk to support. You can go straight to setting up a send-in repair on the support site without having to talk to anyone. Explain the problem in the box and that it happens randomly but frequently enough to be a problem and that you did what support asked and it didn't work.

They told me to restore as well. I had restored via iTunes already and they said to restore via iCloud or something because that might make a difference. And there was an update yesterday that might fix it etc etc. I just said yeah whatever and set up a send-in repair a week later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭mel123

You don't have to talk to support. You can go straight to setting up a send-in repair on the support site without having to talk to anyone. Explain the problem in the box and that it happens randomly but frequently enough to be a problem and that you did what support asked and it didn't work.

They told me to restore as well. I had restored via iTunes already and they said to restore via iCloud or something because that might make a difference. And there was an update yesterday that might fix it etc etc. I just said yeah whatever and set up a send-in repair a week later.

Was your phone in warranty? Mine is out of warranty.

mel123 wrote: »
    Was your phone in warranty? Mine is out of warranty.

Yeah, mine was in warranty.

If the phone was purchased from Apple ask for a repair under consumer law. If not you'll have to bring it back to where it was originally purchased - most Irish retailers will play dumb about consumer rights so you might have to write a letter to the company's legal department citing the Sale of Goods Act, etc, and threatening the small claims court if they don't reply. Alternatively you can avail of Apple's battery replacement service for 90 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

Cianmcliam wrote: »
    I have this with an iPhone 6, happens more often after using the camera. Could be over 40% but will not turn on until it is plugged in. Has anyone replaced an iPhone 6 battery themselves?

Yes. This.
    Exact same problem with my 6. I've upgraded since so the I'd like to fix the issue before giving the phone to someone else.

What happens if out of warranty (as most 6 phones will be). Does the EU warranty apply?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

WillyWonka wrote: »
    Yes. This.
    Exact same problem with my 6. I've upgraded since so the I'd like to fix the issue before giving the phone to someone else.

What happens if out of warranty (as most 6 phones will be). Does the EU warranty apply?

There is no "EU warranty" in Ireland. You claim under the Sale of Goods and supply of Services Act 1980. It offers more protection than the EU Directive, so we didn't implement the full thing here. You claim against the seller of the product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

So I have a 6S. Apple have run a diagnostic on it and confirmed it isn't my battery. However I bought from Three so I cannot demand a replacement from apple and I am just outside the year they offer. I have the transcript confirming its not a hardware issue and that they do not have a solution to the problem right now.

If i bring that to Three what are the odds on getting a replacement?

So I have a 6S. Apple have run a diagnostic on it and confirmed it isn't my battery. However I bought from Three so I cannot demand a replacement from apple and I am just outside the year they offer. I have the transcript confirming its not a hardware issue and that they do not have a solution to the problem right now.

If i bring that to Three what are the odds on getting a replacement?

Apple support told me the same thing. Diagnostics won't always detect a failing battery. I sent it in anyway and they replaced it.

Go to Three, tell them it's faulty and you want it repaired/replaced under consumer law. Cite the Sale of Goods Act. As I said above, though, you might need to write a letter to their legal department threatening them with the small claims court.

Apple support told me the same thing. Diagnostics won't always detect a failing battery. I sent it in anyway and they replaced it.

Go to Three, tell them it's faulty and you want it repaired/replaced under consumer law. Cite the Sale of Goods Act. As I said above, though, you might need to write a letter to their legal department threatening them with the small claims court.

I purchased it online through three, do I go to an actual store? I'm raging, I wish I had just bought from Apple. I've had a phone replaced for my Dad before under the sale of goods act

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Davexirl

I have my 6s over a year and I am having the same issue with the phone turning off randomly when it's below 30%, also I noticed battery life is shocking, compared to what I used to get. I restored it and set it up as a new iPhone to see if that helped, it didn't. Looks like I need to get on to apple tomorrow so.

Apple have just launched a replacement program for this issue. It affects the batteries of iPhone 6s manufacturered between September and October 2015. You have to contact them to check if yours is eligible.

https://www.apple.com/ie/support/iphone6s-unexpectedshutdown/

Hopefully Apple Support will stop giving people hassle over this now and just replace the phone, but what reports I've read aren't encouraging. Best bet is probably to skip support and just send it in like I did, or if you are out warranty go through CompuB.

Yeah I'd say it's way more widespread than they are letting on. I wonder if they'll pull a Samsung and cap battery life in an update?

Apple have just launched a replacement program for this issue. It affects the batteries of iPhone 6s manufacturered between September and October 2015. You have to contact them to check if yours is eligible.

https://www.apple.com/ie/support/iphone6s-unexpectedshutdown/

Hopefully Apple Support will stop giving people hassle over this now and just replace the phone, but what reports I've read aren't encouraging. Best bet is probably to skip support and just send it in like I did, or if you are out warranty go through CompuB.

Thanks a million Sad Professor. Just been online chat with Apple and showed them the link and they are taking my phone back to replace the battery or replace the phone. So glad now i came on to ask advice.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if Apple still offer Express Replacement for a fee if you don't have Apple Care +?

I remember a while ago I had to return an iPhone due to a lose Lightning connection and I was offered to pay for an Express Replacement.

They didn't mention this at all on the phone to me this morning when organising repair but their online chat is very good maybe pop on and ask them

I have to go to blanchardstown to start the process

Does anyone know if Apple still offer Express Replacement for a fee if you don't have Apple Care +?

I remember a while ago I had to return an iPhone due to a lose Lightning connection and I was offered to pay for an Express Replacement.

No. AppleCare+ customers only.

I have to go to blanchardstown to start the process

Did they not give you the option to get it collected and returned to your door? Mine is getting collected from work, the driver will bring me a box etc to put it in as well, happy days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Just seen this posted over in macrumors, don't know if it's verified.

'Eligible iPhone 6s have these characters in the 4th and 5th position of the serial number:
    Q4, Q5, Q6, Q7, Q8, Q9, QC, QD, QF, QG, QH'

My seriel number does have QH in the 4th and 5th part.

I see it says your screen can't have any cracks before they'll repair it. I have one crack running down my screen so guess I'm fecked. I'll still pop into Compub tomorrow and see what they say.

Davexirl wrote: »
    Just seen this posted over in macrumors, don't know if it's verified.

'Eligible iPhone 6s have these characters in the 4th and 5th position of the serial number:
    Q4, Q5, Q6, Q7, Q8, Q9, QC, QD, QF, QG, QH'

My seriel number does have QH in the 4th and 5th part.

I see it says your screen can't have any cracks before they'll repair it. I have one crack running down my screen so guess I'm fecked. I'll still pop into Compub tomorrow and see what they say.

You'll have to pay them to replace the screen first.

• Advertisement

mel123 wrote: »
    Did they not give you the option to get it collected and returned to your door? Mine is getting collected from work, the driver will bring me a box etc to put it in as well, happy days :D

No they didn't but I just got back onto them and they're doing it this way now. Still a long time to be phoneless but could be worse

Advertisement