Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone dying with high battery

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Damn. They definitely offered this in the past for non AppleCare+ customers as I was offered it but I've never bought AppleCare+.

Yeah I would have availed of it as well. Hard to do without your phone for a week.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

This post has been deleted.

They used to, but got rid of it early this year, or late last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I first started noticing this happening about 6 weeks ago. I let it go for about 2 weeks before it got too frequent to ignore and put through a repair request. Got the recovery box sent out and the phone sent away. Apple emailed me about 2 days later and said they were unable to process my repair request and sent me back the phone with a letter saying they had run a diagnostic test which showed no fault. At this stage I was just glad to get the phone back so have put up with it while trying to find a convenient time to get back on to them so I can send it back again.

However, I read the article regarding the repair program today so got in touch with them again. The guy on support was nice and tried his best. He knew about the repair program but it was still a bit of a task to communicate that I am sending the phone back with the understanding that I want the battery replaced under this repair program. He said he couldn't say until the technicians look at it but has flagged it as "system wide issue of unexpected restarts" on the system so fingers crossed.

My phone would fit into the dates cited by Apple but my serial numbers aren't the same as the ones posted a few posts up (there is a Q but the second letter/number is different than any posted).

Hopefully they will sort it out this time as I don't have a capable replacement phone and even for simple things like work emails it is almost unmanageable having no proper phone these days. When you're paying almost a grand for a phone it's just not good enough I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

My phone was manufactured in September 2015 and I'm having the shut down problem.
    Apple did a mobile diagnostic and told me my phone isn't covered under the battery replacement program.
    They are offering a hardware solution as I'm within 12 month period.

Effects wrote: »
    My phone was manufactured in September 2015 and I'm having the shut down problem.
    Apple did a mobile diagnostic and told me my phone isn't covered under the battery replacement program.
    They are offering a hardware solution as I'm within 12 month period.

What does this consist of?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Paully D wrote: »
    What does this consist of?

It just means they believe it has a hardware fault and are replacing it under warranty, but don't think it has the battery issue, even though it clearly does.

The implication from these various reports of Apple saying "oh the diagnostic says your battery is fine" (which I also experienced) is that Apple aren't going to make it easy to get phones replaced under this program out of warranty. Unless they eventually admit that their diagnostic isn't accurate. But they probably know this which is why they are telling people to go to an Apple Store or AASP.

It just means they believe it has a hardware fault and are replacing it under warranty, but don't think it has the battery issue, even though it clearly does.

The implication from these various reports of Apple saying "oh the diagnostic says your battery is fine" (which I also experienced) is that Apple aren't going to make it easy to get phones replaced under this program out of warranty. Unless they eventually admit that their diagnostic isn't accurate. But they probably know this which is why they are telling people to go to an Apple Store or AASP.

Thanks for the breakdown, Sad Professor.

I see a few people on the Mac Forums forum saying that the replacement battery still hasn't solved their issue, while others say it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Did you call them or live chat them mate? How did you manage to get hold of the Senior Advisor?

I've sent mine away on Friday but fully expect it to be sent back after a diagnostic test shows it's fine, so just getting my ducks in a row.

It seems it will be at least another week anyway due to the lack of batteries. :pac:

I'm going to drop mine in at the end of next week. Waiting to sort a replacement.
    Happened again yesterday. Shut down at 20%. First attempt to switch on I got the connect charger symbol. Second attempt and it came on with 40% battery.

I've also had the battery getting down to 1% and the phone working for over 2 hours on 1%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭amber2

I am having this issue, phone shutting down with 80% battery left but only happens when I use the runkeeper app, which I recently updated & seems to be happening since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Revolver_66

Could also be an issue with 10.1.1 for some phones...threads on reddit about it and links to articles (can't post links) :(

I'm still on 10.0.2 myself and having the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭mel123

Just for anyone who hasnt sent their phone back yet (like me because they never came to collect it), was on to Apple this morning and they confirmed there is still a shortage with batterys and they should have enough coming in on December 5th, so if you dont want to be without your phone for too long, wait until after December 5th to send it back

OSI wrote: »
    Apple have advised I can bring the handset to one of their "Service Providers" aka CompuB/iConnect for same day replacement. Has anyone used either of these before? Not sure I trust a store based employee to do a decent job, but can't afford to be without the phone for a week.

You won't get a same day replacement from them. They are backed up.
    I spoke with the Grafton St. store and they said the queue was slightly shorter in their Dundrum store.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

It's started to happen in my wife's three year old 5s. One minute it could be at 60% then dead. Plug it in and it comes back at 60%.

I'm just going to take it to fix my i in tullamore. They replace 5s batteries for €35.

I dropped mine into CompuB and they said 7 to 10 days. But it could be more. They said I'm not eligible for the battery replacement scheme, even though I'm having all the symptoms. I'm just inside the 12 month warranty so it's sent back under that process.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Mine is also impacted

Do they give you a replacement ?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement

No, no replacement.

My experience thus far with getting this sorted has not been good at all.

After I initially sent the phone off 4 weeks ago after experience shutdowns (posted about a while back in this thread), Apple ran a diagnostic test, said there was no issue and sent it back.

About a week (and numerous battery shutdowns) later, and the replacement program is announced :rolleyes:

Opened a case with them again 2 weeks ago and received the recovery kit as normal. Posted it off but my repair status still today shows that it is at stage one "empty box sent" despite UPS showing that the package was delivered. I queried this towards the end of the last week on live chat and the rep told me that the status won't update until the technicians look at it and with the delay for batteries they couldn't say when that would be for sure. I left it as I needed to get back to doing some work but thought that sounded a bit strange as surely they would update to say they received the package?

I got back onto live chat yesterday to query this and this time the rep said they would contact their shipping department to see what the story was. Came back a few minutes later to say they were closed for chatting but gave me a number to ring (which turned out to be UK freephone) so that I could "contact them myself". Not good enough IMO, so I tried live chat again. This time got through to a brilliant rep who looked into it, he contacted shipping who said he can see from the information they gave him that the parcel is in Apple and he said the next step is to get someone to give me a call, when they call I am to insist on being put through to Customer Relations and to insist on the repair being expedited to avoid going over the turnaround time. He said Customer Relations are the only people on the EMEA side who will be able to do anything of note.

Sure enough I got a call back straight away, had to hold for 7 or 8 minutes but was then put through to Customer Relations who are clearly a tier or two up on the customer service side. The person I spoke to is now acting as my sole point of contact on this case and I have direct contact information for this person as and when I need it. They said they aim to have an update within two working days so will be giving me a call back with same on Wednesday (tomorrow).

Tonight marks 12 days since I've been without my iPhone. The serial is also not listed as one of the effected batch so I fully expect it to have to go again, but with tonight's update as posted by Sad Professor it's blatantly obvious that the issue is far more widespread than they are letting on.

Very disappointed with Apple on this overall. Now that I am dealing with Customer Relations I am however hopeful. I'll update again after my call tomorrow (hopefully with good news!).

I'd imagine the delay is because they don't have any batteries. This is clearly a much more widespread issue than Apple is letting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭mel123

I still have not sent mine back, ive got a portable charger on standby for emergencies now in the handbag, but i dont fancy being without my phone for two weeks or more and they are only going to get busier i imagine. I dont think i want to take the risk at the moment....decisions decisions

Anyone here actually get the battery replacement yet?

Paully D wrote: »
    I'll update again after my call tomorrow (hopefully with good news!).

Got the call early in the afternoon, as promised.

The lady was very nice and extremely apologetic but said while the case had been escalated, there was no further definitive update on actual repair progress and wouldn't be until probably tomorrow. To be fair, that's all I want(ed). Just keep me updated and let me know as opposed to the system having my repair status stuck on the same thing (stage one) for 2 weeks.

She said the delay has been caused by the phone arriving to Apple but the relevant person there on that end not booking it into the repair centre for repair once it arrived, so it has just been lying there. God knows how long that would have been the case for if I hadn't chased up relentlessly. She never mentioned anything about awaiting a delivery of batteries or similar.

However, about 30 minutes after getting off the phone I checked my repair status which had updated to stage two, diagnosing product, and about 8 hours later I got the automated email from Apple to say they had begun the repair process after receiving my phone in the repair centre on December 7th (I sent it away on the 24th November and it actually arrived on the 28th :pac:).

Just before I go to bed, I checked the repair status again and can see it has now moved to stage three, product replacement pending.

So in fairness things have been very satisfactory once dealing with Customer Relations who have gotten the issue escalated to almost completion within about 1.5 working days. Apple have always been quick from my experience to go through the repair stages once they have the product and that was no different here. I went from stage one to stage three in a day, but the whole delay was caused by someone not processing the phone once it arrived as apparently the phone still needs to be booked in for a repair once it arrives.

From Compu B:

Dear Service Customer,

Thank you for choosing Compu b as your Apple Authorised Service Provider. Please note the following information relating to your recent service request.

Due to an influx in service requests, which is owing to a recently announced Apple battery replacement programme addressing an issue with a small number of iPhone 6s models produced between September and October 2015, we are currently experiencing some delays in customer contact and follow up.
    As we do not wish to compromise the quality of our service we kindly ask for your patience as each service request is promptly addressed.
    With the Christmas season upon us our call centres are at capacity so delays can be expected on inbound calls also. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

When your device has passed quality control a member of our service team will contact you to confirm it is ready for collection.

Thank you once again for choosing Compu b.

Kind Regards,

Compu b Service Team

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I got the return box for my 6s last Friday.
    Had it picked up Monday, it then spent Tuesday stuck with UPS in east midlands due to "severe weather conditions", which is one way to describe 9C and partially cloudy I suppose.
    It got delivered to Apple Wednesday and has changed to the "Step 2 : Service" this morning.
    Hope for a quick move to Step 3 as I'm not trilled with the Lumia 950 XL I'm using.

Another update:

Got a call early this morning from my Customer Relations rep who informed me that the repair process had been complete and that she was awaiting a tracking number for the shipment which should be with my by this evening at the latest. About 6pm I received same. The phone is on track for being delivered by the end of tomorrow.

Very happy with how things went since Customer Relations got involved though the process to get to that stage was extremely frustrating.

I'm still unsure if they've replaced it or just repaired it as it did say "product replacement pending" but I'd be happy with either.

• Advertisement

Glad to hear you're finally getting this sorted, Paully.

It will probably be a replacement with a refurbished phone. If so you should get an email indicating the new serial number.

Advertisement