Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone dying with high battery

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Got the phone early on Friday afternoon. It was a replacement. Unsure if refurbished (is there a way to tell?) but if it is it's difficult to tell the difference either way.

Rebooted the phone, backed it up and all was fine. One small worry a couple of hours into using it when a grey, scrambled screen appeared (similar to the below image) and the phone restarted itself immediately. It was strange and I thought "here we go again", but fingers crossed as it has been flawless since.

d74cf0f6f242212096be62244f37095d.png

The battery is performing well. Twice now since getting it back it has drained all the way down to 1% as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Mr.S wrote: »

Any ideas?

Not sure why it's asking for €29 to contact them. That's not the case and hasn't happened to anyone I know.
    The battery issue is happening to more people than Apple are acknowledging.
    It's not unusual for them to have manufacturing defects and not admit to them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Mr.S, bring it back to where you bought it and claim under consumer law.

I'd say this program will expand to include more serial numbers in the new year. I don't think Apple know the full extent of the problem yet and probably won't until they get data from the new diagnostic logs in the next update. As it stands, they can't reliably tell whether phones have the issue or not because it's not being detected by diagnostic tests in many cases.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

If you go into Compub they'll tell you if your phone is one of those affected.. Mine is currently having it's battery replaced.. It's out of warranty but its being done free of charge..

Just be warned there is no guarantee of a loan phone so have a back up handy if you need it.. I didn't get one but i have another phone to keep me going until I get my iPhone back

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Mr.S wrote: »
    Would there be much point going to CompuB if my serial number gets rejected on the apple site checker?

They'd be able to run a battery diagnostic. If it shows as faulty (which it might not), then they might be able to do something for you given it's only just out of warranty. It's worth a try I guess. But you might still have to go back to the seller.

• Advertisement

I got my phone back from CompuB yesterday. They said they replaced the battery but my phone is still dying while I have a charge in the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Dropped phone to CompuB in Cork at start of December.

Nothing showing on my apple ID when i check status of repairs.

My brother went direct to Apple and had his own back in less than a week! (Returned on December 21, delivered today with the battery repaired).

CompuB are beyond useless. Will update here what they tell me once I can make it to town and call into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

This being happening no to my 6s - a work phone. Noticed it when I updated to the IOS recently (10.2?). The phone is so unreliable now - it dies from about 60%. I enjoy hiking and cycling, so rely on a phone in case I have an issue. Went hiking over Christmas - full battery leaving the house, then dies at about 55%. Same thing happended yesterday - went cycling, stopped for a coffee after about an hour and it was dead.

The only thing that sorts this in the short term is to turn on the phone and get it into low battery mode - but you have seconds to do this before it dies again.

Apple tells me the battery is not eligible for a replacement, the phone is only 3 or 4 months old. Will be getting this sorted this week.

Pinch Flat wrote: »

Apple tells me the battery is not eligible for a replacement, the phone is only 3 or 4 months old. Will be getting this sorted this week.

It's under warranty. They said mine was outside the battery replacement scheme but replaced my battery as it was within 12 month warranty period.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Sent my phone to apple December 12th arrived in the UK 14 th, repaired 16th, , nothing since, seems to be lost, I have spent the last 10 days calling Apple, they do not seem to know what has happened to it. It has been escalated and they promised to call back today or tomorrow.

Does anyone have any advice what to do from here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Was in Belfast yesterday and decided to pop into Apple Store and ask about battery replacement for my 6S. I thought I'd be told to book a slot like everyone else but the guy I was speaking to checked the serial number of my phone, booked it in there and then and told me to call back in 90 minutes. Went for lunch and called back and got my phone back with new replacement battery fitted. Excellent service!!

Chiparus wrote: »
    Sent my phone to apple December 12th arrived in the UK 14 th, repaired 16th, , nothing since, seems to be lost, I have spent the last 10 days calling Apple, they do not seem to know what has happened to it. It has been escalated and they promised to call back today or tomorrow.

Does anyone have any advice what to do from here?

Just keep at them. Paully D above had a similar issue and it was eventually resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

It's supposed to be a bug in iOS 10.2 it's happening a lot of people including myself I have a iPhone 5c though my mother has a 5s and my wife has a iPhone 6 we are all having issues since this update.

jay93 wrote: »
    It's supposed to be a bug in iOS 10.2 it's happening a lot of people including myself I have a iPhone 5c though my mother has a 5s and my wife has a iPhone 6 we are all having issues since this update.

The 6s issue described in this thread is definitely a hardware fault. I was experiencing it long before 10.2 and it stopped after the phone was replaced.

Just keep at them. Paully D above had a similar issue and it was eventually resolved.

Bit of a disaster.

Got a call from Apple today, my phone has been "misplaced" and they are going to send me a "brand new" phone. But I would have to request a cancel on the repair.

I thought about it for a min and said no I would prefer to get my own phone back - my MacBook air was in being repaired so I had not fully backed it up-

Then he told me that it was not possible as my phone had been sent to another customer.:eek::eek:

He assured me that it had been wiped before it was sent to this customer.

I told him I would call next week if I was going to cancel the repair and accept the new phone ( which I'm sure will just be an refurb.)

Any advice??

Bit of a disaster.

Got a call from Apple today, my phone has been "misplaced" and they are going to send me a "brand new" phone. But I would have to request a cancel on the repair.

I thought about it for a min and said no I would prefer to get my own phone back - my MacBook air was in being repaired so I had not fully backed it up-

Then he told me that it was not possible as my phone had been sent to another customer.:eek::eek:

He assured me that it had been wiped before it was sent to this customer.

I told him I would call next week if I was going to cancel the repair and accept the new phone ( which I'm sure will just be an refurb.)

Any advice??

This is the norm with Apple repairs and battery replacements. You rarely get your own phone back. You get a refurbished unit, good as new. I’m surprised they even got into this with you.

Your data should be backed up in iCloud.

Why are they asking me to cancel the repair request?

Why are they asking me to cancel the repair request?

Possibly so they can send you a new unit. But I don’t know why they’d be asking you to cancel it. I didn’t even think you could cancel a repair. I tried to do it earlier in the year and couldn't, had to contact support.

Did you set up a second repair?

No never set up a second repair.
    This was part of the replacement battery program they have. Really shocked at the service as I have had nothing but good experiences dealing with them in the past. I was really shocked when they told me it had been given to another customer.
    I have been without a phone for the last 4 weeks. Now I find they gave it to someone else.

If I had known this I would have gone to a service centre ( although the nearest one is over 100 km away).

The 6s issue described in this thread is definitely a hardware fault. I was experiencing it long before 10.2 and it stopped after the phone was replaced.

I was told tbynthe Apple tech who replaced my battery that he issue with a certain batch of 6S phones was to do with one of the chemicals used in the battery not being stored at the correct temperature prior to being used in the battery.

My wife's 6 is dying practically every day anywhere from 20-40% battery. I asked them if her battery issue was the same and he said that they hadn't solved the issue with other phones yet. My wife is still on iOS 8.?.? and so it's not related to iOS10 but may be related to her outdated software.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭mel123

Hows everyone getting on with their new battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Like having a new phone

First Genius experience too

When you buy Apple you are getting a level of service unparalleled in comparison to any other brand

I get that now

... we really are missing out here

Mine was replaced on 4th January by Apple in their store in Belfast and has been perfect since, Thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Davexirl

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Like having a new phone

First Genius experience too

When you buy Apple you are getting a level of service unparalleled in comparison to any other brand

I get that now

... we really are missing out here

I had the iPhone 4, 5 & 6s, from the the 5 to the 6s I had battery issues, so when the 6s started acting up I jumped ship and went for the s7 edge . I had enough of paying a premium for iPhones and the batteries not worth a ****e. Great that Apple provide such good customer service but in the end I had enough.

Advertisement