Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We need a "Rereg Troll" button

Options
  • 17-11-2016 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭

Or some way of immediately identifying these insects to mods.

Theres one around right now and the standard report process is far too slow, they are winding posters up left and right and its a shame that you cant just hit a single button and any mod from any forum can come along and smack them down again.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Ultimately, it is the Admin who ban re-reg trolls from the site & we usually take action as soon as we receive notification of their presence from the Mods.

However, we don't just whack them with a ban hammer - the Admin independently verify that they are indeed re-reg accounts & that a siteban is warranted. Unfortunately, this takes time - in some cases a couple of days may be required to be 100% sure.

So, for the time being we will continue to rely on members to report suspected re-reg trolls, & carry on conducting our checks as we do now. We could do away with the checks & immediately ban anyone reported as a re-reg troll, but that wouldn't be fair on those that may get banned in error. Not to mention that we may be accused of being power-abusing Nazis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

If they're trolling to that extent, they'll probably earn a ban for that soon enough, and it won't matter that it takes a few days more for the ban to become permanent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

I'm more just talking about a way to bring it to attention quickly. What happens as a result of that is whatever happens.

They destroy threads and totally wind people up in just a couple of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

A new thread similar to the shilling/spam thread? I suppose how useful that would be depends on how closely monitored this forum is.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

seagull wrote: »
    A new thread similar to the shilling/spam thread? I suppose how useful that would be depends on how closely monitored this forum is.
    My concern with that thread as is and any proposed thread for re-regs is mud can stick, and if other see details posted there they may assume the worst when the Admins are unable to confirm a link, risking innocent posters getting caught up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

A few trolls around the place are the sign of a healthy forum based community imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

Agreed , in fact boards should really rethink their whole approach to banning re regs.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Agreed , in fact boards should really rethink their whole approach to banning re regs.
    What were you thinking of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Invite them to a super sekret Boards beers in a small shed in a field, far far away.

Stick a poster on the wall titled "List of Dole cheats and Mod addresses". As this distracts the poor idiots, pull the pin and lob a grenade in before bolting the door shut.

Strut away cross the field, twirling the pin around your index finger and letting a big grin develop on your mush.....as you hear a big bang....and nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

A few trolls around the place are the sign of a healthy forum based community imho.
    AH has the health of an olympic athlete in that case.

• Advertisement

Act on reported posts, right now it seems anyone who even reregs with no malice just gets canned.

Save that patrolling/investigating time (well its probably auto tools) to reported posts - the posts will be reported anyway once they start acting the dick.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Act on reported posts, right now it seems anyone who even reregs with no malice just gets canned.
    Only posters who re-reg to avoid a ban get re-banned. If they wish to dispute that initial ban they can do so in Prison or the DRP

Anyone is free to close their account and start up a new one provided they are not doing so to get round a ban

OK , but say someone is banned and fails in the prison or feedback route ?

And has really no mal intentions this time round ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

What bit of "banned" do you not get? Why should you get back as a re-reg if you were justifiably banned. You are still you regardless of a username.

What bit of "banned" do you not get? Why should you get back as a re-reg if you were justifiably banned. You are still you regardless of a username.

Yeah fair enough for serious trolls/offences , but appears some people are banned for harmless enough things - or at least a long line of them, if time passes and they mature
    i dont see the reason of not letting them back - then again im not a mod and i realise its a private site.

Would you put someone in prison for life for repeatedly stealing bread ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Yeah fair enough for serious trolls/offences , but appears some people are banned for harmless enough things - or at least a long line of them, if time passes and they mature
    i dont see the reason of not letting them back - then again im not a mod and i realise its a private site.

Would you put someone in prison for life for repeatedly stealing bread ?

yes! You may have a point about the poster growing up, after all there are probably plenty of bored students on boards at any given moment - they won't all be cretins forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

By and large, there are very few people the admins will automatically ban when they detect a re-reg. So few in fact that they could probably list them all by their actual names.

If someone were to come back after an absence of weeks or months, register a new account and behave themselves, the admins will unofficially let them at it. They'll get a lot less leeway than a regular poster and be banned a lot faster, but in general re-regs are given the benefit of the doubt.

I see what you're saying about just letting the reported posts sort it out. But some are more clever than that and will fly under the reporting radar while still acting the maggot. There are also some more insidious individuals who engage in malicious behaviour off-thread (i.e. through PMs), which people may be far less likely to report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

This actually came up recently for me. A rereg was spotted and details passed to admin. Admin decided that this user had been back for quite a few months and had no issues at all so they would be given a chance, and rightly so IMO.

Unless this user starts acting the mick again there should be no issue :)

yes! You may have a point about the poster growing up, after all there are probably plenty of bored students on boards at any given moment - they won't all be cretins forever.

Cretins is a bit harsh !

Im speaking from personal experience, I have no access to AH .. and its from a long line of small issues, but a few of these at least I honestly think were total misunderstanings (yeah you heard it all before I know !) - which would still leave me with a bad record - but not permanently banned.

And I have no intention of acting the bollix again .. honestly I have discovered twitter for all my rants :P

Then appeal it in DRP on that basis.

• Advertisement

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Then appeal it in DRP on that basis.

I will, but im giving it 6 months or so to show a clean record ..extra ammo for my case.

:rolleyes:

Some posters just aren't wanted back, they've wasted enough mod time and are simply more trouble than they're worth :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Some posters have come back and posted away no bothers.

Changing their posting style tends to help! Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results...

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭OCEANIC FIZZY POP NINE

Beasty wrote: »
    Only posters who re-reg to avoid a ban get re-banned. If they wish to dispute that initial ban they can do so in Prison or the DRP

Anyone is free to close their account and start up a new one provided they are not doing so to get round a ban

Horsesh1te of the highest order.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

K-9 wrote: »
    Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results...

Weren't you allowed back after multiple reregs and perma bans?

:confused:

Could you detail what you consider inaccurate in my post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

I closed and came back. Wasn't banned before. No problem now. It wouldn't be in the interest of boards to stop people who took a break from contributing again

You've appealed it and it was upheld. Move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I just use the legacy version of boards, so I'm not sure of the layouts of other versions, but I was wondering...are there some layouts in which the post count/join date is not visible?

Because in AH, you get the same reregs again and again (similar names, same threads, same text just copied and pasted over and over, even), and yet posters continue to engage with them. So i wondered if they can't see the post count/join date.

Joined today, post count of one, same post as that similarly-named poster from 20 minutes ago who is already banned and whose post has been deleted...hmm...yes, let's engage, this will go places.

Advertisement