Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EQUILIBRIUM DISC 20

Options
  • 17-11-2016 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Was looking at one of these

genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/road/road-sportive/equlibrium-disc/equilibrium-disc-20

any one with any experience especially wrt max Tyre clearance and the use of mudguards ? Seems like a good all year round bike particularly if I can > 28's on in the winter with mudgaurds.... Much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

blueballfc wrote: »

any one with any experience especially wrt max Tyre clearance and the use of mudguards ? Seems like a good all year round bike particularly if I can > 28's on in the winter with mudgaurds.... Much appreciated

No specific advice, but you may be interested in a couple of genesis bargains at http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/80391/Genesis_Equilibrium_30_2015_Bike

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭vertigo1976

I've built one of these this year as a winter bike/all-rounder. Bought it as a Genesis equilibrium disc frameset and built it up.

Mine has handbuilt wheels that I built with DT Swiss r460db rims and 28mm GP4000s. There's plenty clearance for full length guards with this set up.

I'm very happy with mine. 28mms are seriously comfortable on poor surfaces and the steel gives a lovely ride. Not exactly the lightest setup but it's a proper all day mile crunching bike.

Drop me a PM and I can send you pics of the clearances if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Don't know where you're based OP but Revolve Bikes in Gorey have a 2015 model in stock. It's on the website at €1495(ish) but he quoted me 20% off that. I took it for a short spin and it was a really nice bike but as it wasn't what I was really after I couldn't convince myself to go for it. In the end I went for a 2017 Equilibrium 10 and it's a beauty. Steel frames just have something...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've been giving serious thought to getting an equilibrium 20 (non disc) frame and building it up; interestingly, one of the caveats - to contrast with your requirements - has been that it takes non standard brakes - 57.5mm drops, rather than (if memory serves) 43.5mm drops which is standard.

vertigo1976 - did you buy from the UK or from hollingsworth?

i've been giving serious thought to getting an equilibrium 20 (non disc) frame and building it up; interestingly, one of the caveats - to contrast with your requirements - has been that it takes non standard brakes - 57.5mm drops, rather than (if memory serves) 43.5mm drops which is standard.

vertigo1976 - did you buy from the UK or from hollingsworth?

I got the frameset and 105/Ultegra mix groupset from Velocity in Oranmore. I built the wheels myself and picked up bars/stem/saddle/seatpost online etc as I put the build together.

Keep an eye on the geometry as toptube is a little long. My other bikes are 56cm or large. In the Genesis, a medium was perfect for me.

I went with a mixed group of 105 mechs/cassette/chain/bb and hydraulic ultegra shifters and disc calipers as I didn't like the look and feel of the 105 hydraulic shifters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

I got the frameset and 105/Ultegra mix groupset from Velocity in Oranmore. I built the wheels myself and picked up bars/stem/saddle/seatpost online etc as I put the build together.

Keep an eye on the geometry as toptube is a little long. My other bikes are 56cm or large. In the Genesis, a medium was perfect for me.

I went with a mixed group of 105 mechs/cassette/chain/bb and hydraulic ultegra shifters and disc calipers as I didn't like the look and feel of the 105 hydraulic shifters.

28mm gp4000 are a brilliant tyre, just switched back to 25mm for winter and they are night and day.

Are you intending to run those rims tubeless? Have one built on rear and it seems decent enough

ford2600 wrote: »
    28mm gp4000 are a brilliant tyre, just switched back to 25mm for winter and they are night and day.

Are you intending to run those rims tubeless? Have one built on rear and it seems decent enough

I have thought of running them tubeless and chose that rim when I was building the wheels to have that option.

I had mixed experience of 25 mm schwalbe one tubeless set up on another wheel set with DT R440 rim brakes but am tempted to try out the newest version of the schwalbes when the time comes to change. (Pro one I think)

And yes, 28mm GP4000 have been a revealation.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

blueballfc wrote: »

Have the non disc version. Great bike but 28mm is max tyres. Mudguards fit fine with those.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭blueballfc

Ryder wrote: »
    Have the non disc version. Great bike but 28mm is max tyres. Mudguards fit fine with those.

Was hoping that the disc version would clear 30 mm. Keep digging good info tough

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

28mm with mudguards should be absolutely fine for 30mm without.

Note that GP4000SII 28mm = 31mm....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

I'm selling my 2014 Equilibrium Disc at present. Advert is at:

https://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/genesis-equilibrium-20-disc/13606228

Has 25 mm tyres. I reckon there's enough clearance for 28 mm tyres with the mudguards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what height are you?

I'm just over 5'9".
    5'10" before breakfast.

hmm. you'd be about two inches taller than me. i'm considering an equilibrium.

It would fit you perfectly...

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭enas

I'm a very happy owner of an non-disc 2015 (black frame, Veloce equipped) Equilibrium 20. I've a 54 frame, I'm 1.78cm, and it suits me perfectly. I'd say it's closer to a 55cm frame for other brands.

I'm still running the 28 tyres that it came with, I've put mudguards, and although there's no spare clearance, there's definitely enough clearance to put them, but 28 would be the max.

This has become my do it all bike. I was afraid of its weight, but it's actually a very lively ride, so it's still pleasant even for climbing, and then it's amazing for descending. The only downside are the wheels which are really so-so, and quite heavy. Still, they're not as bad as I expected so I'm keeping them until they need replacement, after which I'd like to go for a set of fancier hand built wheels.

enas wrote: »
    This has become my do it all bike. I was afraid of its weight, but it's actually a very lively ride
    i'm always bemused/confused at comments about a bike's weight - a difference of say 1KG is considered large these days, but for me - somewhere between 75 and 80KG, coupled with the weight of the bike - it'd make a difference of about 1% to the weight i'd have to carry up a hill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

+ 1 from me too (non disc ). They aren't the fastest but they are solid, spritely and comfortable. Just the job if you're not racing.

You could race them in A4, to be fair. And when you crash, the bike'll be grand. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

i'm always bemused/confused at comments about a bike's weight - a difference of say 1KG is considered large these days, but for me - somewhere between 75 and 80KG, coupled with the weight of the bike - it'd make a difference of about 1% to the weight i'd have to carry up a hill.

Personally think frame materual and wheels make far more difference to ride quality than weight. Equilibrium my do it all too

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭timmyjimmy

I've got the black 2015 one(non disc). It's so good that i'm probably getting rid of a fixie that I have in the shed. No regrets whatsoever in buying it.

• Advertisement

Ryder wrote: »
    Personally think frame materual and wheels make far more difference to ride quality than weight. Equilibrium my do it all too
    there was a comment on here the other day about how much rolling resistance tyres can cause - anyone know of any research into how much energy a fram can absorb from a rider which is not translated into forward motion?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

there was a comment on here the other day about how much rolling resistance tyres can cause - anyone know of any research into how much energy a fram can absorb from a rider which is not translated into forward motion?

I'm pretty sure there is research on this although I don't have any links to hand. I vaguely recall reading stuff from Canyon on this several years back when I bought a bike from them. German online cycling magazines tend to be fans of data, from my experience, so might be a useful starting point to search.

There are many, and varied, and conflicting, views on it too, as you'd expect. A quick search threw back this one, which is interesting, although entirely anecdotal:

http://kirkframeworks.com/resources/technical/frame-flex/

doozerie wrote: »
    German online cycling magazines tend to be fans of data, from my experience, so might be a useful starting point to search.
    half my colleagues are german. i understand the interest in data.

i'm now a proud owner of an equilibrium disc 20, thanks to outfox; thoroughly nice chap.

Well wear, MB. I'm glad I sold it to someone who will make use of it. It had become an ornament here.

Advertisement