Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems moving home with Sky Q/broadband/phone

• 17-11-2016 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi, new to Boards and wondering if anyone's had any similar issues with Sky when trying to move home.

I have been a customer of Sky for a number of years and have subscribed to their full suite of services – basic TV, Sky Q, multiroom (x2), Sky Sports, Sky Cinema, broadband and phone. I'm currently paying over €160 per month for these services.

I contacted their customer service team about a home move as I was keen to transfer all my Sky service to my new home. I was told that from the date that I request a transfer of broadband line to my new home, I would be without broadband for a period of approx 2 week, possibly longer. This implies that any Sky customer who wants to move home will have a 2 week period without broadband.

This would have a huge impact on me as I rely on my broadband to work at home and can therefore not make a living if I am without this service. Also, this would have a significant impact on my television service as I would no longer have the ability to use my multiroom service on my Sky Q miniboxes or on demand.

Next, I asked about whether it might be possible to open a new broadband account at my new address and subsequently cancel the old account when I move – I was told that this would not be possible.

Ultimately, the most frustrating part of this experience was when I suggested changing my broadband provider to one of their competitors, having this set up at my new home when I move, and maintaining my current subscription until that date. I was told that:

• I would need to book the home move of my TV package on the same day that I cancel my Sky broadband. Therefore, I cannot book this move until I am on the verge of leaving my current house in order to maintain my broadband access and ability to make a living. I find this to be incredible as my broadband service was initiated at a different time to my TV service. For some reason, they cannot now be uncoupled.

• I cannot book an engineer to carry out the home move until the day I give notice to cancel my broadband – even though the TV service is all I would be looking to move. In practical terms, I am planning to move home on Monday 28 November. I need to have my broadband in place up to Friday 25 November. I therefore cannot arrange an engineer visit until Friday 25 November and only then will I know how long it will take for the visit. Given the time of year, I can only imagine that this visit would take a number of weeks to be arranged. Therefore I am likely to be without TV for a significant amount of time.

I find the fact that it is not possible to book the engineer visit now to move my TV service incredible.

I'd really love to stay with Sky but this makes it really difficult. Already, I've had Eir guarantee that I can get TV, broadband and phone set up on the day I move into the new house.

Would be great to hear if anyone has had to deal with this situation before and if they were able to reach some sort of compromise with Sky rather than ending the service completely.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I would suggest you post your query in the Sky talk to forum. The Sky reps are available in the afternoons between 1 and 5 and are very helpful. After posting they normally give you a link to send a private message to them with your details and they will call you at an agreed time. In fairness they seem to be able to sort out a lot of problems for people who couldnt find a resolution over the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Threatening to leave .... broadband and TV .... usually gets their attention. ;) Particularly if you have the info from their competition regarding price and convenience.

Advertisement