Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids Toys for Santa

Options
  • 17-11-2016 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I was in ken blacks yesterday as it was my son's birthday and he was picking something out. and I noticed as I do every year! that the quality in toys now is very poor and some of the prices are through the roof!! 4 star wars figures €50 and the ship €100!! I also noticed they have lots of everything but not a lot of the one thing if you get me. Like the star wars section you couldnt really get 3 or 4 things to match as some didnt go together size wise... like if you want to get 2 r 3 ships, fighters etc

Considering Smyths & Ken Blacks are mostly the same and Argos is this where everyone buys their toys for their kids... I think you're really just better off buying a console and games although I hate him been stuck on a computer for hours but they seem to be better value for money!!

Any alternatives?? Or ideas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭orthsquel

what age range is your son? what kind of stuff would he be into ? would he be into sports (playing/watching)? Music, learning an instrument, cycling, books, science? what about an experience gift? consoles are all well and good however they can be expensive to buy outright and games usually are priced €50 for most of the popular games (usually age range 15-18). If you were to get a console most games are playable online now (so you'd want good internet) and be aware what consoles his friends have (i.e. playstation Vs xbox and which generation) and what sort of games are available. You might want him to have a cute child friendly game, but most of his friends might be playing games of 18+ age (sorry I'm not up to date on games) or FIFA and depending his school and social activities (e.g. if he is playing a team sport like gaa or soccer) he might not have the time for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

He's 7, ...He already has a xbox 360 but he would play it that much he is more of an out going child loves been as his bike but only got that last year off santa! Just wondering is there anywhere better than Ken blacks or Smyths really...

He liked the star wars toys when I was in Ken blacks for his birthday but there wasn't much of a selection of ones together if you get me, for example a few ships the same that go together.

He's not quiet into sports yet but working on it... ( he is only gone 7 last week)

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭orthsquel

I don't think there's anywhere better than Smyths/Ken Black. There's lots of independent toy shops, here in Cork city there's Pinocchio's http://www.pinocchios.ie/ which is great for wooden toys (there also used to be Voilá which are a wooden toy company, think they are online only now) and there's shops like the Art and Hobby shop http://www.artnhobby.ie/ which is great for all sorts of different things including jigsaws and games as well as craft/hobby items.

Tesco have a wide range of toys all year round - they're great for summer/garden toys too btw - usually have star wars, lego, action figures etc. along with books, dolls, jigsaws, etc. It's usually in Tesco stores that have the homeware, electricals and toys, worth checking for your nearest shop.

Debenhams have toys too, as do TK Maxx, M&S, Littlewoods, not sure if they are just seasonal or not. They may be limited in age/activity.

Dunnes don't do toys ever, they might do the odd book or costume per season, limited to the children's clothes section, but they generally don't do toys.

Argos of course does toys. Halfords do ride on toys like fire engine pedal stuff. You'd probably find other places do wide ranges of ride on toys (e.g. Rolly) and some bicycle shops might do them too.

There are still ToyMaster shops around Ireland see the Find Your Nearest Store on their website - gives you an overview of branded and associated shops around Ireland with the address and map. https://www.toymaster.co.uk/

There is also World of Wonder toy shops - I think these are mainly associated independent shops but there's still a few around the country, worth googling but their website doesn't give much info other than products http://www.worldofwondertoys.com

Places like Easons may have limited toys/gifts as would some other national and local book stores like Waterstones and others like that that have a book tie in.

Advertisement