Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

radon testing

• 17-11-2016 6:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Has anyone had radon testing done on there house?.
    Looking for a good company to do it... apparently wicklow has the highest levels in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭jpd

As far as I know -

Radon gas is more prevalent in areas with granite rocks.

Wicklow Mts are granite based

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Cerco

Contact the epa.
    LINK

Review the Radon Map and decide if you feel it is necessary.

If the tests prove positive then you can seek a company to remediate.

You could also try: LINK

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Gumby

Any Radon testing that is done using less than 3 months sampling i would be suspicious of.
    The EPA will test your home with 2 monitors over 3 months for 56 euro

I plan to do the same in the very near future.

The Radon Map is a risk map which represents the number of properties in the original sampling program (1992-1999) which returned radon values above reference levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

thanks for the info guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

jobless wrote: »
    thanks for the info guys

I know radon gas exists and wicklow being granite seems to have higher readings..but if you are found to be sitting over high levels of it what can you do?
    And if its so dangerous..why isint the advice /service free..like the flouride in the water..instead of charging 50/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭dathi

Maudi wrote: »
    I know radon gas exists and wicklow being granite seems to have higher readings..but if you are found to be sitting over high levels of it what can you do?
    And if its so dangerous..why isint the advice /service free..like the flouride in the water..instead of charging 50/

if your house is a modern build it will have a radon barrier built into the floor as well as a sump and pipe work to vent any radon to outside . if you are in old house that has no radon barrier and results come back high you are looking at digging up floors and installing sump and pipe work.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭beepbeeprichie

We got the test done when we bought an older house with no sump installed. Came back all clear. 50 quid is a small price to pay if you don't fancy developing lung cancer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

BTW Greystones and most of the east cost is not a granite area. Its more quartzite, like the Sugarloaf. So not a high risk area for radon.
    Further inland the main area of bigger mountains are granite, and going north along the coast you will hit a granite outcrop at Killiney/Dalkey and Dun Laoghaire before it changes to Dublin limestone.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 gustus

recedite wrote: »
    BTW Greystones and most of the east cost is not a granite area. Its more quartzite, like the Sugarloaf. So not a high risk area for radon.
    Further inland the main area of bigger mountains are granite, and going north along the coast you will hit a granite outcrop at Killiney/Dalkey and Dun Laoghaire before it changes to Dublin limestone.

Exactly. If you look at the radon map the coast is in the lower risk area. Its inland wicklow that is higer risk (Higher % of houses there return levels above the safety of 200 Becquerels/M2). As mentioned above just order the testers from the EPA for €56. Really easy. Great service.
    I had tenants who recently said they tested for radon and it was off the scales high. They subsequently went crazy with threats and not paying rent etc and disappeared one night. I did my own EPA test to find levels 5 times below the safety. Definitely go for the EPA.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭TheTruthIsMine

Maudi wrote: »
    I don't follow!?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭TheTruthIsMine

recedite wrote: »
    So granite is worse than quartzite?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

So granite is worse than quartzite?
    Radon seems to be associated with granite bedrock areas.

Advertisement