Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raised Pond

Options
  • 17-11-2016 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Where can I find a distributor in Ireland that sells raised premade ponds?

Some like this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Kind of cool looking but I'd say a bugger to keep clean .
    Could get a carpenter to build the frame/install glass. Line it yourself,drop pump in job done :)
    That one is 700l that's not really that big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It would need to be drained or very well insulated in Winter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

give pond hobby a call - based in north county dublin.
    but if we got a winter like we had in 2010/2011, i suspect - as mentioned above - yo'd end up with a very large ice cube. what you linked to is an outdoor fish tank, not a pond.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Magzire

Cheers guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

That would be a serious safety hazard when the timber rots.
    If you want a raised pond, build up a wall around the site, plonk in rigid liner, then backfill around the edges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I would imagine that as soon as it froze the timber would go if there was water in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

looksee wrote: »
    I would imagine that as soon as it froze the timber would go if there was water in it?

Vertical walls mean no where for the expansion to go. Might be fun to build one from blocks but ensure that there is an expansion slope

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭dickidy

i am just finished building one with with blocks and a viewing window. not to hard to build.

i am having trouble with water clarity if anyone can help. i know its a new pond (roughly 1 month ) and may need time to settle and plants to grow but is there anything i should be doing or not doing.
    i want to let the bacteria multiply but not sure if i should drain it all out and clean pond and filter and start again .
    the pond was green (as in the sun for maybe 6 hours ) so i used green away but now the pond seems a brownish colour.

sorry for hijacking this thread but couldnt find where to start a new one
    thanks

Its the time of year. If you can limit the amount of sunlight, by making some artificial shade, that would help. Lily pads in a mature pond can act like parasols.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

do you have fish in the pond?

• Advertisement

yeh i have them growing but on two small pads have reached the top.
    i have 5 butterfly koi and 8 gold fish.

thanks

from what little i understand, it's harder to get clear water in a pond with fish, as the nitrogen levels are higher due to the feeding and fish poo.

I have a big filter with a uv light ( light only working 2 days ) and pump . Might leave it a few weeks and let the bacteria multiply and see if they work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭gillad

The uv light will take a week or two to get results...you have all the equipment for clear water so all you need to do now is leave it alone and wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭gillad

You can give the filter a clean too but don`t use tap water as the chlorine will kill the bacteria..use a bucket of water from the pond and dont clean too hard,you just want to get rid of any heavy sludge and not disturb the bacteria living on the filter media too much.

cheers gillad. i have been pumping the pond water out into a waterbud and using it to water the plants so i will use that to clean the filter spongers.

pond coming along great , thanks for all the advice.

now that i can see in clearly , i have another problem. the inside is not great to look at.
    you can see the pump pipe and wires. as i have a big viewing window i need to get that sorted. has anyone any ideas on how to make it look nicer .

also i am thinking about putting a mirror opposite to the widow to expand the viewing area .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭blackbox

dickidy wrote: »
    pond coming along great , thanks for all the advice.

now that i can see in clearly , i have another problem. the inside is not great to look at.
    you can see the pump pipe and wires. as i have a big viewing window i need to get that sorted. has anyone any ideas on how to make it look nicer .

also i am thinking about putting a mirror opposite to the widow to expand the viewing area .

I'm amazed it's going so well. Very hard to keep water that clear. You might need some snails to keep the glass clean.

dickidy wrote: »

Pile up some rocks in the corner, or put a piece of bogwood there to block the view of the cables.

Would you not just be looking at yourself in the mirror.

hard to explain but i will try . if you look into the window {say 1 foot by 1 foot} thats all of the pond you can see but if you put if you put a 6 foot mirror on the reverse wall it will give you much more viewing ..

yeh think i will build shelves with natural slates or stones up to the bottom of the mirror and over the pump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Cover the pump with a piece of flat rock. You can screen cables & pipes by running them behind rocks. You can also put them all in a piece of drainpipe & glue pieces of stone to it.

You will struggle to get a pond balanced with plants with Koi in there - they are vandals :)

Advertisement