Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Books

Options
  • 17-11-2016 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

I've recently moved to Louth and was wondering if there are any good books available that tell the history of the area. Particularly Faughart and surrounding areas. I would like to learn more about the area I now call home.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

There is a Gossiping Guide to Louth by Tempests. It was a very old book but reprinted a few years ago. Carroll bookshop in Park Street may have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

In fairness, most of those books are heavy academic records or collections of old photographs. I own several of them and have read others.

I take it the OP wants a general layman's read on local history.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

In fairness, most of those books are heavy academic records or collections of old photographs. I own several of them and have read others.

I take it the OP wants a general layman's read on local history.
    Yeah you are correct. I'm looking more for a book by a local author just about the area and stories about the history.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

There is plenty of light reading there I can assure you. Its open today from 10 am to 4pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I assume you have to sign up to use the library?

KJ wrote: »
    I assume you have to sign up to use the library?

If you are a member of Louth County Library you can use it and borrow. Any member of the public over 18 can use it though, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

It's now free to join up at the libraries in Louth (Used to be something like €7) so all you need is a photo id and a recent bill with your address on it. Great local resource.

There's also the County Museum and the Archives up at the Gaol on the Ardee Road if you want even more.

Advertisement