Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Benq XL2730Z flickering after almost a year? Repair or refund & buy different?

Options
  • 17-11-2016 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi all!

Benq bought last Nov started flickering last week.

Have been on to Benq, but they'll only replace with refurbished same model and my warranty remains from original purchase date.

I was not happy, €600 monitors should not be dying after a year!

I got on to Amazon who are offering a full refund (I know I was amazed too) if I pay to ship it back. They may refund shipping too. But I'll lose €100 on exchange rate difference over the year, to buy new model.

So my dilemma is take refurbished monitor with only one year warranty left on brand I'm losing confidence in or take refund and buy different model ... But I cannot find another 144mhz, 1 ms, 27", Freesync, 1440p monitor that's jumping out at me as a better buy.

I'd not be adverse to paying a few quid to upgrade, but upgrade to what? IPS? 30'+? Curved? I've only got an r9 390 so 4K is not really a runner.

Any advice is appreciated, esp on whether I was just unlucky with my first Benq!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Are you sure its not driver related, I read over on 3d guru of issues with flickering on some 144hz panels that was tracked back to drivers, might be worth looking into.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭€>sense

No don't think it was a driver issue!

Did full uninstall with driver cleaner and reinstall of latest Radeon drivers + tried laptop to hdmi port with Intel drivers.

I got the same flickering on both AMD and Intel drivers and on DP and hdmi ports.

Not many options out there on Freesync 144mhz, 1440p monitors so I'm leaning towards taking the chance on the refurb.

I chose Benq last year because of issues with ASUS and ACER monitors on delivery and reports of guys having to send back with dead pixels, backlights issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

€>sense wrote: »
    Hi all!

Benq bought last Nov started flickering last week.

Have been on to Benq, but they'll only replace with refurbished same model and my warranty remains from original purchase date.

I was not happy, €600 monitors should not be dying after a year!

I got on to Amazon who are offering a full refund (I know I was amazed too) if I pay to ship it back. They may refund shipping too. But I'll lose €100 on exchange rate difference over the year, to buy new model.

So my dilemma is take refurbished monitor with only one year warranty left on brand I'm losing confidence in or take refund and buy different model ... But I cannot find another 144mhz, 1 ms, 27", Freesync, 1440p monitor that's jumping out at me as a better buy.

I'd not be adverse to paying a few quid to upgrade, but upgrade to what? IPS? 30'+? Curved? I've only got an r9 390 so 4K is not really a runner.

Any advice is appreciated, esp on whether I was just unlucky with my first Benq!

Thanks in advance

Might sound a bit off track but I think your monitor is similar to mine in that it supports 3D, right? Are you using blur reduction utilities like http://www.blurbusters.com/benq/strobe-utility/ ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

try turning off blur reduction on the monitor - mine flickered until I turned it off. It does sometimes turn itself back on for some reason, so I'd check it

• Advertisement

No it doesn't support 3D and am not using blur reduction utilities

Will check if blur reduction put itself back on later!

No luck tried blur reduction on and off and still the same flicker!

So try one of these:

https://geizhals.eu/?cat=monlcd19wide&xf=104_4~5137_2560x1440~5848_AMD+FreeSync+(Adaptive+Sync)~6492_144~99_27

Or take the refurbished Benq XL2730Z with year less warranty?

Advertisement