Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skyrim for casuals?

• 17-11-2016 9:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭

So IGN ( http://m.ie.ign.com/articles/2016/11/17/11-video-games-for-people-who-hate-video-games ) did an article there on introducing non-gamers to video games, and it suggests Skyrim as one for non-gamers. Got me thinking 'if' Skyrim does come at the launch of the Switch, would even casual gamers buy it? I have it for ps3, I enjoyed it, but by no means would I give it to a non-gamer to get into games, there is a LOT to do in it. But maybe Nintendo think it is a 'casual' game also and would be perfect for launch.

Now personally myself, I'll definitely pick Skyrim up if it's out at launch for the Switch and I would think a good few of you guys would too, even if you've played it before (not the remaster). But would casuals?

What you think?

Edit: Also, would Skyrim remastered tide us all over until BotW is actually ready to launch?

Is Skyrim a casual game that would sell at launch of Switch? 4 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 4 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Honestly, I think the repeat of the link between "Nintendo" and "casual" gaming is insulting and lazy ass journalism from IGN.
    I was so browned off with it during the lifespan of the WiiU, such hopelessly dour talk contributed to the consoles lack of uptake, despite having an excellent software line up of exclusives.
    Skyrim is, by it nature, the very antithesis of "casual" gaming anyway.
    Nintendo are not looking to capture "new" markets again, I don't see any "non-gamer" demo being pandered to in their promotional material for the Switch.
    This time they want both the old reliables, Nintendo fans who have never lost the faith and will always buy into their ideas, and they want the existing people who play videogames, albeit on non Nintendo formats.
    These are the people who play Skyrim, for whom a version of the game that is superb, is equal to the console ports and for whom a portable edition of the game holds great attraction.
    As such, I can't answer either poll question, it is not a casual game and it might well sell at the launch of the Switch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

you forgot to say "I have a dream" but otherwise, decent speech :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭Nollog

No skyrim is not a game that would interest casual gamers. I mean the candy crush ones not the cod or bf only casuals.

It is too boring and complex and long. They would be more interested in something short and simple like say Mario or Mario Kart. Nintendo understands this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mario is simple?
    Having played pretty much every Mario game, from DK to the present day, and while the games are easy to play, with sublime controls and level design, they are seldom simple.
    I think it is a testament to the craft of those that develop Mario titles, specifically the platformers, that gives them the impression of ease and relaxing gaming, right up to the point you have to find that last level exit or navigate a world full of moving holes.
    Mario titles have been consistently well reviewed, possibly more so than any other franchise or IP in the history of videogames.
    Can't agree with "short" either, given the challenge offered up by Mario Galaxy, it's sequel, Super Mario World, Super Mario Bros 3 and more recently, Super Mario 3D World. All have an extensive single player adventure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭Nollog

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Mario is simple?
    Having played pretty much every Mario game, from DK to the present day, and while the games are easy to play, with sublime controls and level design, they are seldom simple.
    I think it is a testament to the craft of those that develop Mario titles, specifically the platformers, that gives them the impression of ease and relaxing gaming, right up to the point you have to find that last level exit or navigate a world full of moving holes.
    Mario titles have been consistently well reviewed, possibly more so than any other franchise or IP in the history of videogames.
    Can't agree with "short" either, given the challenge offered up by Mario Galaxy, it's sequel, Super Mario World, Super Mario Bros 3 and more recently, Super Mario 3D World. All have an extensive single player adventure.

Yeah. They are simple to play but they offer depth for hardcore gamers. This is what I meant. I thought we all knew it.

• Advertisement

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Yeah. They are simple to play but they offer depth for hardcore gamers. This is what I meant. I thought we all knew it.

Tbh, you said that Mario games were short and simple and would appeal to the Candy Crush crowd of casual players.
    Might appeal to those with the attention span of a gnat for the first world, but that's just where you learn/relearn the basic mechanics, after that every Mario game ramps up the challenge, leaving the casual crowd reaching for their iPhones to match three of something once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Have a gander at this article (it also mentions Mario and Zelda):
    http://candycrush-cheats.com/math-proves-candy-crush-super-hard/

Advertisement