Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Potential Screen Issue

• 17-11-2016 9:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,953 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I hope I'm not beginning to witness the death of my 2012 MacBook Pro. I've noticed a weird screen issue. I don't know how to describe it so I've uploaded a video of it. You can see the flicker against the white when I scroll. It's more noticeable against a clear background so it's obvious in Safari. It goes right across the screen.

Anyone know why this might be or if it's fixable? It's not constant but quite often and only the top half of the screen.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,953 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Ok, now it's happening without scrolling when I'm on tumblr. I think that might be because there is gifs on the page.

A better video

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Have a look on the apple website and see if there are any repair programmes for that model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Try disabling the High Performance Graphics system in Energy preferences and see if that fixes it. See how here. If this stops it then you may be suffering the infamous problem that effected many laptops of that era.

Ken

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

• Advertisement

ZENER wrote: »
    Try disabling the High Performance Graphics system in Energy preferences and see if that fixes it. See how here. If this stops it then you may be suffering the infamous problem that effected many laptops of that era.

Ken

I can't do that coz mine is the dedicated graphics card.

It would appear that the infamous problem happened on 15" and 17" MacBook Pros. Mine is the 13 inch.

Turning it off and on again seems to have helped. :o

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I can't do that coz mine is the dedicated graphics card.

It would appear that the infamous problem happened on 15" and 17" MacBook Pros. Mine is the 13 inch.

Didn't they all have two graphics systems ? Dedicated for high performance dropping back to intel integrated to extend battery life when performance isn't needed. My 2012 MBP has this.

Ken

ZENER wrote: »
    Didn't they all have two graphics systems ? Dedicated for high performance dropping back to intel integrated to extend battery life when performance isn't needed. My 2012 MBP has this.

Ken

This is from the system report. I could be reading this wrong. I'm no expert!
    Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Type: GPU
    Bus: Built-In
    VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 1536 MB
    Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
    Device ID: 0x0166
    Revision ID: 0x0009
    Metal: Supported
    Displays:
    Color LCD:
    Display Type: LCD
    Resolution: 1280 x 800
    Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Automatically Adjust Brightness: Yes
    Built-In: Yes

https://support.apple.com/kb/sp694?locale=en_IE

If it's the 15" model you have then it has an Intel and an nVidia GPU. It was the nVidia part that gave problems as far as I know.

Sorry, just realised you have a 13" model.

Ken

• Advertisement
Advertisement