Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car was imported over a year ago, but owner never put it through the VRT

• 17-11-2016 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

What happens if you buy a car that was imported over a year ago, but owner never put it through the VRT. I am I going to have probems then changing it over

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Presuming you have bought it recently, as long as you have proof in the shape of a proper sales invoice from the seller with the date of sale, then you should not have any issue with Revenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The Irish seller?

I presume the OP just bought it off someone who imported it a year ago but didn't VRT it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moved out from old thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

bazz26 wrote: »
    I presume the OP just bought it off someone who imported it a year ago but didn't VRT it.

The OP does not have proof ofvimportation. If he/she provides an invoice from an Irish based Non TAN holder then they will be asked to give proof of when it was imported. If that comes to light as 12 months ago then effectively the new owner becomes liable for the penalty as the vehicle cannot be registered until it is paid and the OP would have no recourse against the seller. Only a mug or someone prone to making misdeclarations to governmental authorities would buy a foreign reg'd car here without taking the penalty into account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Marcusm wrote: »
    The OP does not have proof ofvimportation. If he/she provides an invoice from an Irish based Non TAN holder then they will be asked to give proof of when it was imported. If that comes to light as 12 months ago then effectively the new owner becomes liable for the penalty as the vehicle cannot be registered until it is paid and the OP would have no recourse against the seller. Only a mug or someone prone to making misdeclarations to governmental authorities would buy a foreign reg'd car here without taking the penalty into account.

However if the buyer was to buy it in northern ireland and have receipt from the randomer they bought from stating same, there should be no issue.

Marcusm wrote: »

If the OP only bought the car last week and wants to go through the proper registration process then I don't see why Revenue should be penalising them with fines/penalties for something that occurred prior to them buying the car. Surely Revenue should be chasing the guy who incurred the fines by not VRTing the car for 12 months rather than the OP who is trying to do the right thing by VRTing the car after buying it? Of course that would involve a bit more effort and work.

Yeah, but it's liable from when it came in. Dont know why buyers enable chancers who dodge vrt.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Yeah, but it's liable from when it came in. Dont know why buyers enable chancers who dodge vrt.

Don't know why advertising sites enable chancers who dodge VRT to advertise their illegal vehicles, but they do it all the time.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

It wouldn't be workable for the likes of donedeal to exclude uk reg cars or verify that the person selling is in Northern Ireland, or that the car is even uk reg. Buyers need to get more clued in. Buying a car from another country with no paperwork linked to the seller should be a red flag but it doesn't bother people obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

mickdw wrote: »
    However if the buyer was to buy it in northern ireland and have receipt from the randomer they bought from stating same, there should be no issue.

Meaning if the OP was the sort of person who lies to governmental authorities!
    bazz26 wrote: »
    If the OP only bought the car last week and wants to go through the proper registration process then I don't see why Revenue should be penalising them with fines/penalties for something that occurred prior to them buying the car. Surely Revenue should be chasing the guy who incurred the fines by not VRTing the car for 12 months rather than the OP who is trying to do the right thing by VRTing the car after buying it? Of course that would involve a bit more effort and work.

The most effective method of collecting the tax is to ensure that it cannot be registered and thus cannot be lawfully driven by an Irish resident unless the tax is paid. An Irish buyer of a foreign registered car already in Ireland is a mug/patsy unless buying from a TAN holder. He is basically absolving the seller of the cost of the penalty.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

On thing Done Deal should allow is excluding vehicle priced in GB£ or from locations in NI, or the converse.

I find it not helpful to see such cars on a search with no easy way of excluding them.

They could require reg numbers to be submitted with the add, even if not for display.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

On thing Done Deal should allow is excluding vehicle priced in GB£ or from locations in NI, or the converse.

I find it not helpful to see such cars on a search with no easy way of excluding them.

They could require reg numbers to be submitted with the add, even if not for display.

Donedeal is a 32 county site, so a NI sale of a NI reg is valid, but I'd like to see all UK reg ads from sellers in the 26 counties banned, unless a TAN is provided, which is not going to be possible for almost all sellers of UK reg vehicles in the 26 counties. There are regular posts from Monaghan of UK vehicles, which is totally annoying when searching, and more than a few from Dublin on a regular basis.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Donedeal is a 32 county site, so a NI sale of a NI reg is valid, but I'd like to see all UK reg ads from sellers in the 26 counties banned, unless a TAN is provided, which is not going to be possible for almost all sellers of UK reg vehicles in the 26 counties. There are regular posts from Monaghan of UK vehicles, which is totally annoying when searching, and more than a few from Dublin on a regular basis.

I am aware of the 32 county nature, but I can exclude counties but I cannot exclude items priced in sterling which would be a start. [Conversely, NI customers should be able to exclude vehicles priced in euro].

Equally they should identify whether VRT is liable. They show NCT, so why not VRT? Also, why not show partial number plates?

I am aware of the 32 county nature, but I can exclude counties but I cannot exclude items priced in sterling which would be a start. [Conversely, NI customers should be able to exclude vehicles priced in euro].

Equally they should identify whether VRT is liable. They show NCT, so why not VRT? Also, why not show partial number plates?
    Never going to happen. They'd need to take on a while office load of staff and turn away a huge chunk of their existing business.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Never going to happen. They'd need to take on a while office load of staff and turn away a huge chunk of their existing business.

I would think it would just involve adding a tag to search on.

How many sellers would want their car excluded from searches though? They'd cotton on fairly quickly how to get around it.
    I agree it'd be great to be able to exclude them.

Advertisement