Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Mayo for challenging post removal deemed irrelevant despite OP opening

Options
  • 17-11-2016 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭

yop wrote:
    Dear Niall Keane,

You have been banned from Mayo for two weeks for ignoring a moderator's instructions.

Discussion can become heated, we don't object to that, but when a moderator issues a warning on a thread to reign things in, it stops a heated discussion from turning into a mess.

For more information please refer to the Boards.ie FAQ.

If you wish to appeal this ban you can see details on how to do so here.

yop

Your post:
    yop wrote: »
    **MOD NOTE: Gone totally off topic of what the OP asked. No more discussion of this on this thread.

Wow... all my posts removed ... all contained referrences to scientific data relatin to the issue of single sex and mixed schools. and the op's opening lines were:

"and had more or less decided on Claremorris but am not too keen on the whole boys only secondary school , would prefer mixed . "

Meanwhile 80's childs post remains, despite their ad homenim attacks, goalpost moving and non-referenced statistics.

Who polices the police? Who teaches you about logic, fallacy and argument? Who teaches you about "organic development of discussion"?

No wonder boards is losing out so much to other social media.

Dont bother with any ban theats, why would I bother waste my time with a so obviously flawed moderation policy?

The cheek of removing a contributors post wihout warning. I guess you feel thisnis your Facebook page or something?

And I could care less for any self-protecting official complaints mechanism ..... dont fool yourselves... keep it up and become irrelevant

As explained to this poor excuse for a mod, there was no warning given, my posts were simply removed, all of them... but not all or the other parties???
    My posts specifically referred to the OP's opening paragraph:

"and had more or less decided on Claremorris but am not too keen on the whole boys only secondary school , would prefer mixed . "

I presented scientific references / links to support my opinion.

I was challenged ad homenim - “scared from my experience” , “narrow-minded” etc.

I did challenge such remarks and basically pointed out that the argument I had presented had gone unchallenged.

Then the goalposts were moved, and rather than deal with my argument, the other poster decided to address me, not ignore me, and deal with the area of academic performance.

I highlighted this fact.

Unsourced statistics were presented:

I pointed this out, and also the fact that those unsourced statistics in fact demonstrated no noticeable advantage to single-sex schools.

Then I check in to find all my posts, that I had gone to the trouble of sourcing evidence from scientific publications for, had been removed. No warnings, just removed and then post action a warning.

See, I fail to view such as moderating so much as censorship?

At best Yop can be viewed as a lazy moderator, shoot first, ask questions later? But given this is “Mayo” and the underlining conservative and catholic nature of much of it's population and given the issue of Secondary Education, and in particular single-sex schooling falls in line with Catholic ethos, one may not be assumed to be “stretching things” to infer Yop is one of “them”?

Now, frankly, I've better things to be doing, and truly a ban is water off a ducks back. Ironically I am not “banned from Mayo”, I live there! I am however banned from a social media forum called “Mayo”, and for what? Pointing out facts and subsequently challenging their removal?
    Now its your “virtual” Mayo on boards for sure, you are king there, but unlike the real world I am not invested in staying.

I have contributed quite allot over the years on Boards.ie, but this kind of random, unannounced removal of posts forces me to consider the point of any further contributions, why would anyone logically invest time to have such effort “disappeared”?

Now, I could be pissing in the wind here, to use the proverbial, and most likely will face the blue shield of moderators.

But I guess, seeing as I have gone to the trouble of using your internal appeal mechanism, Yop will be given time to consider their behaviour again, who knows, if the action was taken (I mean the initial removal of posts) lazily, they might reconsider subsequent rash actions given that they can turn out far more “involved”?

As for the ban, it's meaningless, I won't be posting in a section that behaves like a personal Facebook page regarding moderation.

And I certainly do not appologise for my correct action in a free nation to challenge publically such Orwellian decisions, regardless of internal policy. Boards.ie may be a private company, but is operates within a republic, and its contributers shoud be considered to have a certain opinion about “free speech” Boards.ie provides a “service”, the key is in the word! Ignore all this at your peril. Censorship may indeed provide the most excellent echo-chamber, but all echo-chambers die quick deaths from shear boredom!

Best regards,

Niall Keane

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

When you decide to make an appeal without making snide and unnecessary comments about the mod, then please feel free to come back here and start another thread. But for now I'm locking this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement