Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carers allowance Confusion

• 17-11-2016 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey everyone just looking for some advice, I have just received my letter saying that I will be in receipt of Carers allowance in a few weeks time, but I'm a little confused! Do I keep my job seekers? Some people are saying yes and others saying no, and citizens advice says it isn't taken into account and on boards on here people are saying to others that it is gone so as you can imagine I am completely confused, I am also wondering when the arrears are paid or if I am entitled to any at all?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

No you don't keep job seekers allowance. You can't be looking for a job while caring full time so you are no longer classed as a jobseeker and the payment stops.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Rachrach1

No you don't keep job seekers allowance. You can't be looking for a job while caring full time so you are no longer classed as a jobseeker and the payment stops.

Hope that helps.

Thanks notjustsweet , yeah it helps, any idea on how they pay the arrears and when?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭smjm

Rachrach1 wrote: »
    Hey everyone just looking for some advice, I have just received my letter saying that I will be in receipt of Carers allowance in a few weeks time, but I'm a little confused! Do I keep my job seekers? Some people are saying yes and others saying no, and citizens advice says it isn't taken into account and on boards on here people are saying to others that it is gone so as you can imagine I am completely confused, I am also wondering when the arrears are paid or if I am entitled to any at all?
    Just keep collecting your JSA as normal until they switch you over and your Carer's Allowance starts getting paid into your bank account. It's a fairly common situation, so nothing to worry about.

Edit: just reread your question. If you're asking whether you get to keep both the JSA and Carer's Allowance, then notjustsweet is correct. I thought you were asking if you had to come off JSA while waiting for the Carer's to kick in. Sorry for adding to the confusion! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Rachrach1

Hope that helps.

Thanks notjustsweet , yeah it helps, any idea on how they pay the arrears and when?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Rachrach1 wrote: »

Any arrears will be the difference between your carers allowance minus the ja you've been paid since applying.

Arrears are usually a few weeks later.

• Advertisement
Advertisement