Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Science/IT in NUIG vs. Computing Software Development in GMIT

Options
  • 17-11-2016 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Assuming they both cover a lot of the same content, and knowing they're both Level 8 degrees, I'm confused as to why there's such a difference with the requirement of 425 points in NUIG this year and 300 points in GMIT.

I'm not too optimistic about getting 420+ points in the Leaving next year, so GMIT would be a great fallback, but even if I do, is there much of a difference between the two courses? Would one be much better than the other or would I be selling myself short going for the GMIT course?

I've been told as long as it's Level 8, there's no difference between NUIG and GMIT in terms of future jobs. But the large difference in points requirements is confusing and there's always been a reputation that GMIT is for those who weren't smart enough to get into NUI in Galway at least, my parents would think it too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Molloy10

Bump.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Some of it is down to demand, some of it is down to reputation.

Generally speaking, yes, as far as employers are concerned a Level 8 degree is a Level 8 degree.

However, as with most things in life, it isn't always that simple. There is an overt bias towards universities, so if two candidates presented themselves with reasonably similar Level 8s, all other things being equal, employers would probably sway towards the university graduate.

Having said that, there is a shortage of graduates in general IT, so the above would not come in to play too often.

Advertisement