Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Instant access to 5000 newspapers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Why is this allowed, but not (for example) linking to a torrent site for '0000s of free eBooks'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Sarn

kenmm wrote: »
    Why is this allowed, but not (for example) linking to a torrent site for '0000s of free eBooks'?

This is a legitimate feature of libraries.

Ah ok - I thought it was how to exploit the system by typing in a fake barcode - I was curious!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

You just need to input a library card number, 9000000 has the same number of digits.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭peejy

Wexford library .. no indo etc since midweek

Using android app. Tried vpn and no luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Trevord

On Wicklow and Cork City Libraries just 26 publications available on android app.

No Independent or related papers and no Examiner.

Must be that they are no longer licensed.

I had been expecting the Examiner to disappear when the Irish Times bought it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Just three Irish newspapers available for me this morning. The Mirror, Sunday Mirror and the Sligo Weekender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Sunday indo not available via the app but if I log in through a browser I can read it. Strange. I'm not using s VPN so this could be a technical issue rather than license.

Sunday indo not available via the app but if I log in through a browser I can read it. Strange. I'm not using s VPN so this could be a technical issue rather than license.

Good point about it possibly being technical, all of the free local community newspapers are gone as well, which is unusual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭MunsterM

Very strange. If I use a browser I only see the same 26 publications as I see on the app - no Examiner or Indo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭rf1980

Seems Examiner and Independent have been restricted to use based on library wifi only now. https://twitter.com/PressReaderCare/status/1271823930337013760

rf1980 wrote: »
    Seems Examiner and Independent have been restricted to use based on library wifi only now. https://twitter.com/PressReaderCare/status/1271823930337013760

Not much use when the libraries are not allowing us in .

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭headnorth

rf1980 wrote: »

Thats a kicker. It was easy & quickly just to tap the app and read the papers. I see some of the restricted papers have appeared on other sites online so they should be easy to access with a resolver.

New Home wrote: »
    You just need to input a library card number, 9000000 has the same number of digits.

So it is an exploit then? Or where do you get the library card number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Kat1170

So it is an exploit then? Or where do you get the library card number?

The hints in the name, library card ;)

Kat1170 wrote: »
    The hints in the name, library card ;)

ha - alright - so its just the local public library card then? - as everything seems to suggest that people don't need one. Therefore no surprise the newspapers are taking their content down..

ha - alright - so its just the local public library card then? - as everything seems to suggest that people don't need one. Therefore no surprise the newspapers are taking their content down..

There’s nothing illegal or questionable going on. Everybody in Ireland can get a library card and use the service. If you’re interested, have a look at:

https://www.librariesireland.ie/news/online-services-during-coronavirus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Library is not open on a Sunday so does that mean then that Sunday independent is finished for library members use?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

I wonder if INM have pulled the plug ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

To answer my own question :

From press reader twitter account :
    Hi! Due to a recent restriction, The Irish Independent can only be accessed onsite while connected to the library's wi-fi network. If you have further questions, please DM us. -ES
    https://t.co/GPfzIDR4Df

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭peejy

headnorth wrote: »
    Thats a kicker. It was easy & quickly just to tap the app and read the papers. I see some of the restricted papers have appeared on other sites online so they should be easy to access with a resolver.

Can you say where?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Is the OP method still working?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Library is not open on a Sunday so does that mean then that Sunday independent is finished for library members use?

You can access it on Sundays if it has an Open Library facility set up, lots of branches do. You can also change the date on the site to read old issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

New Home wrote: »
    You can access it on Sundays if it has an Open Library facility set up, lots of branches do. You can also change the date on the site to read old issues.

Or use a VPN (it is not hard) and carry on reading the Sunday Independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ROVER

JTMan wrote: »
    Or use a VPN (it is not hard) and carry on reading the Sunday Independent.

VPN does not work for me. Can anyone get it to work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

ROVER wrote: »
    VPN does not work for me. Can anyone get it to work?

I can get the irish times with vpn but not the sunday independent

sweetie wrote: »
    I can get the irish times with vpn but not the sunday independent

Same - Irish Times with VPN, no Independent. No Examiner either.

I wonder, would different library branches give you access to a different selection of papers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,062 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

MunsterM wrote: »
    Same - Irish Times with VPN, no Independent. No Examiner either.

same here - Wicklow CC

If I log out of my library account on the VPN I can see the Indo and the Examiner (though obviously I can't read them without subscribing) so I guess if you're using a library account, you have to be on the library network to get those papers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

I wonder is it a result of the system being so easy to game. Most of us here have valid library accounts now but it seems that it's quite easy to
    use the system without. I don't really bother with the newspapers and all my magazines are still available but my Dad was able to use it and found it a good resource.

Advertisement