Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Puppy questions

• 17-11-2016 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

We got a 9 week old puppy on Saturday. Initially at night we confined him to the utility room with his crate (open) and paper down for toileting. He had a hot water bottle, radio on low, toys etc. He whined and barked for the whole night and has continued to do so every night since. I am planning to close the crate tonight and leave it in the living room which is warmer and brighter.

My questions:

How long should I leave him before bringing him out to the loo during the night?

Any suggestions for helping him settle at night? Am I missing something completely obvious or does it just take some pups longer to settle?

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

shinser wrote: »
    We got a 9 week old puppy on Saturday. Initially at night we confined him to the utility room with his crate (open) and paper down for toileting. He had a hot water bottle, radio on low, toys etc. He whined and barked for the whole night and has continued to do so every night since. I am planning to close the crate tonight and leave it in the living room which is warmer and brighter.

My questions:

How long should I leave him before bringing him out to the loo during the night?

Any suggestions for helping him settle at night? Am I missing something completely obvious or does it just take some pups longer to settle?

Thanks in advance!!

At 9 weeks old, not long at all. Probably should be getting up minimum 2-3 times a night. Also, get rid of the paper - that just confuses them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 shinser

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    At 9 weeks old, not long at all. Probably should be getting up minimum 2-3 times a night. Also, get rid of the paper - that just confuses them ;)

He will go 3.5 - 4 hours during the day between trips out. Would nighttime be more frequent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

He will go 3.5 - 4 hours during the day between trips out. Would nighttime be more frequent?

Not necessarily more frequent per say, but you're not there watching him and noticing his cues so you sorta need to be the pro-active one and pre-emp it if you know what I mean ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Hooked

2 crate trained puppers here.

First month...
    Small feed before bed (11pm)
    Alarm set for 3am.
    Toilet break at 3.
    Alarm set 6am.
    Toilet break 6am.
    Up for work at 8

Pups at 9 weeks need to be crated and toilet trained as one. No papers. Crate closed. ONLY once they've been properly introduced, mind.

And yes. Gotta watch out for those 'cues'. Circling. Suddenly distracted.

We had one accident in the house, but getting up through the night is trying.

https://youtu.be/i2vTxqrcEzA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

The 11pm, 3am, 6am routine works wonders. It'll exhaust the hell out of you for a short time but it is brilliant, only lasts for a few weeks and will save you a lot of hassle down the road by teaching your dog that outdoor is the only place for eliminating.

• Advertisement

Dubl07 wrote: »
    The 11pm, 3am, 6am routine works wonders. It'll exhaust the hell out of you for a short time but it is brilliant, only lasts for a few weeks and will save you a lot of hassle down the road by teaching your dog that outdoor is the only place for eliminating.

That is great advice. So what did you do until your pup was happy in the crate?
    Last night he was very unsettled and I took him outside at 2am. He didn't do anything so I put him back with the crate open and newspaper to go on. He was much happier with the crate open. He is happy enough in the closed crate for an hour during the day when I go out but I think the night is too long for him yet.

That is great advice. So what did you do until your pup was happy in the crate?
    Last night he was very unsettled and I took him outside at 2am. He didn't do anything so I put him back with the crate open and newspaper to go on. He was much happier with the crate open. He is happy enough in the closed crate for an hour during the day when I go out but I think the night is too long for him yet.

Well, I carried my pup (helps stop accidents) outside and firmly told her to go pee. Then I ignored any play overtures and sat there/stood there until she'd squatted. Then and only then lots of praise and we would we go inside.

There are two issues going on. One is house-training and the other is a baby, social animal adjusting to the utter loss of its family group and coming to terms with that loss and seeing you as the new family. For me, kindness was key for the night jitters. A crate in the bedroom at least while a pup is so young is only humane. If you want him to sleep elsewhere eventually that can be incremental. A closed crate in your bedroom where he knows there are 'beginning-to-be-family' will help him bond with you and help all of you get some rest.

Well, I carried my pup (helps stop accidents) outside and firmly told her to go pee. Then I ignored any play overtures and sat there/stood there until she'd squatted. Then and only then lots of praise and we would we go inside.

There are two issues going on. One is house-training and the other is a baby, social animal adjusting to the utter loss of its family group and coming to terms with that loss and seeing you as the new family. For me, kindness was key for the night jitters. A crate in the bedroom at least while a pup is so young is only humane. If you want him to sleep elsewhere eventually that can be incremental. A closed crate in your bedroom where he knows there are 'beginning-to-be-family' will help him bond with you and help all of you get some rest.

We tried bring info the crate to the bedroom last night but he just continued to bark and whimper - not a chance of sleep for anyone (we have four kids and all were woken). He just doesn't want to be in the crate when it is closed.

We tried bring info the crate to the bedroom last night but he just continued to bark and whimper - not a chance of sleep for anyone (we have four kids and all were woken). He just doesn't want to be in the crate when it is closed.

For now you have five kids and one of them has fur. Good news is that you don't have to change nappies and that the pup will reach maturity quite quickly (and won't need Uni fees!). When you have had a new baby in the past, I'll bet it came as second nature to soothe night cries and learn to identify need cries from attention ones. A little 'ssshh' or 'back to sleep' will work very quickly with the latter. Explain to your children that Pup is a baby dog and sometimes gets upset but he'll be fine in a little while and you'll all sleep soundly. It may require a mindshift but you can do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

For now you have five kids and one of them has fur. Good news is that you don't have to change nappies and that the pup will reach maturity quite quickly (and won't need Uni fees!). When you have had a new baby in the past, I'll bet it came as second nature to soothe night cries and learn to identify need cries from attention ones. A little 'ssshh' or 'back to sleep' will work very quickly with the latter. Explain to your children that Pup is a baby dog and sometimes gets upset but he'll be fine in a little while and you'll all sleep soundly. It may require a mindshift but you can do it!

+ 1 on this - though I understand your dilema; have you considered moving the crate to the living room & one of you sleeping or part sleeping on the couch so that when s/he wakes crying s/he can see that s/he is not totally alone & isolated? dogs, particularly beagkes, have such a strong sense of smell - I always wonder how people can think a toilet with bleach & cleaning products is a good happy environment for them - particularly when it is the only room in the house that has no happy family sense or connection for the little dog.

• Advertisement

+ 1 on this - though I understand your dilema; have you considered moving the crate to the living room & one of you sleeping or part sleeping on the couch so that when s/he wakes crying s/he can see that s/he is not totally alone & isolated? dogs, particularly beagkes, have such a strong sense of smell - I always wonder how people can think a toilet with bleach & cleaning products is a good happy environment for them - particularly when it is the only room in the house that has no happy family sense or connection for the little dog.

Thanks for your advice. He settled really well last night. I left the crate open, no newspaper and got up at 2.30 and 6.30 with him. No accidents so first successful night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Our wee girl has progressed from the crate in the bedroom to sleeping in it in the sitting room now. It's great because my wife wasn't able to carry it upstairs if I wasn't home when she went to bed. She loves the crate and will go in there now about half the time she wants a snooze.

Toilet training is hit and miss. When we bring her outside she pees immediately when she smells her spot, but she's not brilliant with the poo yet. Probably about one of those in doors every second day. When she walks she poos every time and is getting better so we'll have to live with it for now and as she gets older and can do more walks it'll sort itself out.

Other training going well. I had been doing some myself, but I watched nanci creedon videos on you tube and they're brilliant. She's only 3 months and a bit but she's got sit, stay, lie down all at least partially mastered. Only issues is she's mouthing a lot and gave my son a mark yesterday but that'll pass. Some craic the training.

Jayop wrote: »
    Our wee girl has progressed from the crate in the bedroom to sleeping in it in the sitting room now. It's great because my wife wasn't able to carry it upstairs if I wasn't home when she went to bed. She loves the crate and will go in there now about half the time she wants a snooze.

Toilet training is hit and miss. When we bring her outside she pees immediately when she smells her spot, but she's not brilliant with the poo yet. Probably about one of those in doors every second day. When she walks she poos every time and is getting better so we'll have to live with it for now and as she gets older and can do more walks it'll sort itself out.

Other training going well. I had been doing some myself, but I watched nanci creedon videos on you tube and they're brilliant. She's only 3 months and a bit but she's got sit, stay, lie down all at least partially mastered. Only issues is she's mouthing a lot and gave my son a mark yesterday but that'll pass. Some craic the training.

Thanks for that. Can I ask how you got her used to the crate? Our guy is happy enough to go in during the day for a short time with the door closed but will howl for the night if we close it going to bed, even when he's in the bedroom with us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Thanks for that. Can I ask how you got her used to the crate? Our guy is happy enough to go in during the day for a short time with the door closed but will howl for the night if we close it going to bed, even when he's in the bedroom with us.

First few weeks the crate was right next to the bed and I'd chat to her if she whined. That only lasted a night or two then she was fine. Then we moved her to the other side of the bedroom and eventually downstairs. It helps for us that I don't usually go to bed till after 3 and my wife is up by 7ish so it's only a few hours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 PuppIreland

Jayop wrote: »

Our dog used to do this as well when he was a puppy, and we read online that you should put a hot water bottle (not too hot) and some dirty clothes (e.g. socks) in with him for comfort. Worked like a charm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Our dog used to do this as well when he was a puppy, and we read online that you should put a hot water bottle (not too hot) and some dirty clothes (e.g. socks) in with him for comfort. Worked like a charm.

My o/h laughed out loud at me for putting a hot water in with our puppy the first few weeks (he grew up with hunting dogs who lived outside in kennels) but she barely cried at night, maybe twice briefly the first two nights and then never again.

The other thing I did that I found worked well was I got an old playpen for her, just a child's wooden one I bought for €40 on Gumtree. She couldn't get out of it and it meant we didn't need to use the crate to keep her out of mischief initially, so we were able to take a couple of weeks to get her used to the crate before ever closing her in.

She just uses it literally like her bedroom now, she goes in there at night or when she wants a bit of peace (like when she saw me bringing out her eye drops today, as she had a bit of sticky eyes at the minute).

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

Advertisement