Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Robbie Keane leaves LA Galaxy

• 18-11-2016 12:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Robbie Keane is leaving the LA Galaxy after 6 seasons and 3 MLS Cup titles, the team announces.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

mansize wrote: »
    Robbie Keane is leaving the LA Galaxy after 6 seasons and 3 MLS Cup titles, the team announces.

Fair play to him he was a star over there. will he keep playing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Hardly he's some age now Coaching???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

Crumlin United or Tallaght town next?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Great timing. Back to Shams now so they can blow a fortune on him hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Dundalk? He may get to play in the CL again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Fair play to him.....probably the most successful player to make the move to the states?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I'd say he'll end up somewhere like China/ India or Qatar for a last payday. I'd love to see him in Tallaght though but I can't see him coming home.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Best of luck to him.

I always think it was a real pity he didn't make it at Inter he was such a clever player I would have thought he could have become a real success in the more technical style of play they have in Italy.He never was the quickest player but his brain was much quicker than most on the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I'd say he will go to another club in the states, he could still do a job over there for another season I'd say. Would absolutely love to see him come back and play for Rovers, I wouldn't think it's the most unlikely thing either but probably not just yet, maybe Duffer could have a word in his ear. I always got the impression that Robbie would keep playing football for as long as he physically could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Best of luck to him.

I always think it was a real pity he didn't make it at Inter he was such a clever player I would have thought he could have become a real success in the more technical style of play they have in Italy.He never was the quickest player but his brain was much quicker than most on the field.
    I think it was Lippi getting sacked that ended his Inter career, he wasn't given much of a chance after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Robbie to jet into Sunderland and join up again with JD to fire them to safety

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

S'hit thread title

Good luck to him whatever he does next.

An Irish legend

Nalz wrote: »
    S'hit thread title

Absolutely

Nalz wrote: »
    S'hit thread title

Would have been funny in 2011.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Still looking for one last club challenge.
    He's 36.

Another MLS club?
    China?
    Oz?

Best of luck to him anyway.
    A true legend on the pitch and off it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

Am quite surprised by this; it sounds like Galaxy aren't renewing his contract(?), which is strange considering his record for the club.

He's 36, but surely he could have stayed on for one or two seasons?

I like to think Keane might come back, while he is still a decent player, and play a season in Tallaght. Of course much will depend on what his family want. But he struck me as the type who wasn't driven by money...he certainly never let the salaried job get in the way of wearing the Irish shirt, and his role in Irish football clearly mattered to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

tigger123 wrote: »
    Am quite surprised by this; it sounds like Galaxy aren't renewing his contract(?), which is strange considering his record for the club.

Not really surprising. Clubs in MLS are subject to a salary cap, which ordinarily would prevent any one club from just loading up on stars and winning all around them. However, the clubs are allowed to have three designated players, whose salaries don't count towards the cap, this is why a big club like Galaxy will always have three stars in the squad (Keane, Gerrard and Dos Santos are the current designated players). Since these designated player spots are so critical, it's understandable that Galaxy will try and get the very best players they can for these roles. At 36 years of age, there are just better options than Keane out there for Galaxy.

As for where Keane will end up next? Well the rumour is that Gerrard is taking the MK Dons job, so maybe he'll join Stevie as his assistant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

It's now or never if he wants to play for his hometown club

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

It's now or never if he wants to play for his hometown club

It's been his boyhood dream after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Would he be eligable to play in europe for dundalk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Would he get into the team?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Omackeral wrote: »
    Would he get into the team?!

10-20 mins max at end of game,master poacher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Only if they get into the Round of 32 after Christmas. Registration for the group stage would have finished around Sept. 1st.

Dundalk can register up to 3 new players after for the Round of 32 onwards.

Section 43 of this....

http://www.uefa.org/MultimediaFiles/Download/Regulations/uefaorg/Regulations/02/23/69/59/2236959_DOWNLOAD.pdf

(I stand corrected on the above, they were last years rules).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

Would help Shamrock Rovers sell season tickets if Robbie Keane was to join the Tallaght side, not sure they could afford his salary even at 36.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Would help Shamrock Rovers sell season tickets if Robbie Keane was to join the Tallaght side, not sure they could afford his salary even at 36.

hes probably the wealthiest journey man out there, if he wants to play there I cant see money been the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Some options for him that I could see happening:

Scotland - A return to Celtic where he had a brief spell on loan that was popular. He could be a decent option off the bench.

England - Perhaps Premier League clubs short on goals could turn to him. Sunderland are pretty much totally reliant on his old mate Defoe. Swansea are also short on goals. Same for Burnley and Hull. If he was willing to drop down a division he could link up with Hughton again at Brighton, maybe return to some old haunts: Leeds, Wolves, Villa.

MLS - Clubs over there know what he can do so maybe he takes a move to a less glamorous club in the division?

Ireland - He could do what Duff did and see his career out at Shamrock Rovers.

China - He could head out there for one last big money move. I'd be surprised if he did this though as he'd probably have to be without his family. I can't see them all going there.

My feeling is he may do what Del Piero and others did, and Duff before the Shamrock Rovers move, and head to Australia: he'd have a lot of what he had in L.A. there.

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    ...journey man...

Ah here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Robbie Keane wouldnt never get ahead of Griffiths or Dembele in the pecking order and Celtic play a lone striker so even the style of football does not suit the player he is now. Robbie has a track record of going to clubs where he's the starting striker

I could see him going to Australia to continue traveling the world and playing football with his family. Sun, Sea & Football or Tallaght....I know what I'd be doing if I was him!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

There were some rumours of him taking a stake in a new LA NASL team, which might make sense for him. He could play for them, with the exposure he himself gives the team effectively paying him via his stakeholding. He's pretty settled in LA it seems, but something like that is the only way he could continue playing here without effectively playing for free.

Another MSL club would take a shot at him as their designated player alright i'd say, but i'm not sure he'd fancy the move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Another MSL club would take a shot at him as their designated player alright i'd say, but i'm not sure he'd fancy the move.

Tralee dynamos Mayfield are short up top

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

rob316 wrote: »
    hes probably the wealthiest journey man out there, if he wants to play there I cant see money been the problem.
    One of the top goalscorers in the history of international football.

One of the top goalscorers ever in the English premier league, which we are constantly told is the pinnacle of football.

Easily the most important player ever to pull on a green jersey.

Journeyman my hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

retalivity wrote: »
    Tralee dynamos Mayfield are short up top

ha, touche!

• Advertisement

• rob316 wrote: »

00f011d1a53aca873ba1c6b4aee5cbd9.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

What he does next all depends on his family I'd imagine. He is at the end of his career, if they like living over there then he will probably stay there. He would have no bother getting a job as an analyst/color commentator over there if he wants that.

I'd imagine if he is interested in moving on that he would get an offer from the A-league in Australia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

At least he was successful in LA.

Would he do punditry or coaching?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭chicorytip

It's telling that the most successful period of his career has been in MLS - the "elephants graveyard" for has - beens. Ability wise he was no better than championship level, lacking the movement, awareness and finishing ability of a genuine top quality player. He was a failure at each of the top level teams he signed for and, it has to be pointed out, the majority of his goals for the national team have been scored against weaker opposition. In an Irish context I would rate him far beneath the likes of Stapleton or even Niall Quinn!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

chicorytip wrote: »
    It's telling that the most successful period of his career has been in MLS - the "elephants graveyard" for has - beens. Ability wise he was no better than championship level, lacking the movement, awareness and finishing ability of a genuine top quality player. He was a failure at each of the top level teams he signed for and, it has to be pointed out, the majority of his goals for the national team have been scored against weaker opposition. In an Irish context I would rate him far beneath the likes of Stapleton or even Niall Quinn!
    13th top goal scorer of all time in the Premier League. Other than that, an abject failure, why he ever even bothered lacing up football boots is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

tigger123 wrote: »

His record for the club is in the past, their willingness to give him a new contract is based on what they think he (a soon to be 37 year old footballer) can do for them in the future i.e. not enough to justify a contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

You're joking right?? He has scored more international goals than Rooney who a lot of people rate as " world class ". Scored a goal every other game for Spurs, didn't work out at Liverpool only because Benitez was having a hissey fit with the owners, signed for Inter & shortly after the manager was changed. Scored some world class goals in his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Help!!!! wrote: »
    You're joking right??

Joking is not the word you're looking for...

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

No.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Pipe down, young lad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

That's one of the stupidest posts I've ever read on this forum.

If he was no better than championship level why did he play in the premier league for 11 seasons?

The argument that he only sores goals against weaker opposition for Ireland is complete bull****.He did score 3 goals in 4 games at the world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Possibly the most stupid post I've ever read anywhere. And the competition is stiff. Can only hope you're having a laugh and looking for a reaction. Otherwise, you've no business talking to anyone about football.

Quinn and Stapleton only got just over half of Keanes total goals between them.

But tbf all their goals were against Brazil, Argentina, Germany and Spain in knockout stages of World cups

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Always astounds me the number of people who line up to take pot-shots at Keane. Probably the most important player to pull on an Irish jersey. And most committed.

Whatever he does, I hope he succeeds. But I reckon he'll pack it in. Seems settled in LA. Wish him all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Lol. Well done you got attention for yourself by making yourself look like an eejit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement