Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Robbie Keane leaves LA Galaxy

2»

Comments

• Am I allowed to use the bitter lemon meme twice in the same thread?

chicorytip wrote: »
    it has to be pointed out, the majority of his goals for the national team have been scored against weaker opposition.

Miroskav Klose and Gerd Muller scored all their goals in a World Cup finals v Brazil. All of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

secman wrote: »
    Crumlin United or Tallaght town next?

We have a spare spot up in Tallaght astro on a Tuesday evening if he fancies it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

It's telling that the most successful period of his career has been in MLS - the "elephants graveyard" for has - beens. Ability wise he was no better than championship level, lacking the movement, awareness and finishing ability of a genuine top quality player. He was a failure at each of the top level teams he signed for and, it has to be pointed out, the majority of his goals for the national team have been scored against weaker opposition. In an Irish context I would rate him far beneath the likes of Stapleton or even Niall Quinn!

Well Done. In one foul swoop you've managed to get everyone to acknowledge that you know fcuk all about football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

It's telling that the most successful period of his career has been in MLS - the "elephants graveyard" for has - beens. Ability wise he was no better than championship level, lacking the movement, awareness and finishing ability of a genuine top quality player. He was a failure at each of the top level teams he signed for and, it has to be pointed out, the majority of his goals for the national team have been scored against weaker opposition. In an Irish context I would rate him far beneath the likes of Stapleton or even Niall Quinn!

This is genuinely the worst post I've ever read on Boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭chicorytip

That's one of the stupidest posts I've ever read on this forum.

If he was no better than championship level why did he play in the premier league for 11 seasons?

The argument that he only sores goals against weaker opposition for Ireland is complete bull****.He did score 3 goals in 4 games at the world cup.
    I am expressing an opinion with which you happen to disagree. Fair enough. My opinion is based on knowledge acquired having followed football at national and international level for over forty years now so can hardly be described as "stupid" or ill informed. Keane has been a failure at the elite level of the club game in Europe and simply cannot be ranked alongside the genuine "greats" of his generation. To argue otherwise is certainly not "stupid", I would say, just simply laughable.
    Anyway, it's only a game!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I am expressing an opinion with which you happen to disagree. Fair enough. My opinion is based on knowledge acquired having followed football at national and international level for over forty years now so can hardly be described as "stupid" or ill informed. Keane has been a failure at the elite level of the club game in Europe and simply cannot be ranked alongside the genuine "greats" of his generation. To argue otherwise is certainly not "stupid", I would say, just simply laughable.

This, at least is arguable.

But your assertion that he was merely championship level is what has provoked the reaction of pure derision. And rightly so, as it's laughable, and simply does not deserve to be taken in any way seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Keane is currently 13th all time top scorer in the premier league. More than Drogba, Van Nistelrooy, and Tevez as an example. Not bad for a 'championship player'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

I feel so sorry for you to have spent forty years watching something and have no understanding whatsoever about it after all that time.

One of the highest scorers in the history of international football. Of course he scored a lot of goals against weaker teams but he scored plenty against teams similar and better than us too. Look at the goals records of any top international striker, they have all scored lots of their goals against weaker teams. That's just how international football works.

The man is in a very select group of players to have over 100 goals in the premiership. Not bad for a championship player in fairness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

Opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

You said he was no better than championship level which is not true as he played in the premier league for 11 years.That part of your opinion was stupid because it was 100% totally factually incorrect.

Also your statement that he only scores goals against weaker opposition was baloney as well. First of all you could make that statement about every single striker who has scored a lot of goals because most strikers score most of their goals against weaker opposition.He's scored plenty of goals against the bigger teams at international level as I pointed out in my post.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I think why some perceive Robbie Keane to be less than great is because he was a nuts and bolts player and sometimes people only look for the bells and whistles. Not scoring against big teams? Germany and Spain in the World Cup, France in the playoff, the Dutch, Russia and Italy in qualifiers. Was he failure at spurs where he was POTY? Both Niall Quinn and Frank Stapleton have never won the league either.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I am expressing a wrong opinion with which you happen to disagree. Fair enough. My opinion is based on lack of knowledge acquired having not followed football at national and international level for over forty years now so can totally be described as "stupid" or ill informed. just simply laughable.

Fixed it up for you there trout......

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    This, at least is arguable.

But your assertion that he was merely championship level is what has provoked the reaction of pure derision. And rightly so, as it's laughable, and simply does not deserve to be taken in any way seriously.
    His most
    prolific periods, by far, have been at Wolverhampton and Coventry (both second tier) and, latterly,in La La land. That says a lot.

His most
    prolific periods, by far, have been at Wolverhampton and Coventry (both second tier) and, latterly,in La La land. That says a lot.

Obviously. They are weaker divisions. I'm sure every single striker, good, bad or indifferent, scores more against weaker opposition.

But that is still not to say what you said, that that was his level, as if he only belonged at that level.

Edit - checked, his most goals per season actually came in 2006-08 at Spurs where he netted 22 and 23 goals in consecutive seasons. Where did you get the idea that his most prolific spells "by far" were at Wolves and Coventry?

• Advertisement

• justshane wrote: »
    Keane is currently 13th all time top scorer in the premier league. More than Drogba, Van Nistelrooy, and Tevez as an example. Not bad for a 'championship player'.

150 Goals (open to correction)
    Yea "nothing player bill"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

A certain Mark Twain quote is coming to mind.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

A certain Mark Twain quote is coming to mind.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."

In this case I'd agree. :D

His most

When he played for Coventry they were in The Premier League.

His best years in England were with Spurs in the premier league.He had more prolific seasons for Spurs than he has for either Coventry or Wolves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Anyone who thinks Robbie Keane was a championship level striker is obviously wrong. Anyone who thought Robbie had a good record of scoring against the seeded nations in qualifying games is equally deluding themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

. Where did you get the idea that his most prolific spells "by far" were at Wolves and Coventry?

His hopeful imagination

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks Robbie Keane was a championship level striker is obviously wrong. Anyone who thought Robbie had a good record of scoring against the seeded nations in qualifying games is equally deluding themselves.

If you look down through Klose's list of international goals, none v Spain, none v France, none v Holland in a competitive match, 1 v Brazil in the 7-1, a load of references to Cyprus and Luzembourg and Azerbaijan in there etc. etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

The only "big" nations I can think of that Robbie Keane did not score against are Argentina, Brazil, and England (big?). Did we face any of them competitively during Keane's career? I can't remember. He has a good record in big games vs big teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

The only "big" nations I can think of that Robbie Keane did not score against are Argentina, Brazil, and England (big?). Did we face any of them competitively during Keane's career? I can't remember. He has a good record in big games vs big teams.

Nope!

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Dots1982 wrote: »

Robbies goals against higher seeds in competetive games.

Yugoslavia home 2000
    Turkey home 2000 Euro 2000 playoff
    Holland away 2000
    Germany 2002 World Cup
    Spain 2002 World Cup
    Italy away 2008
    France away World Cup playoff
    Russia 2011
    Sweden 2013

I've probably left some out, but even the above list would in any currency be considered a 'good' return of goals considering the number of times a country like Ireland play internationals against the likes of these teams.

An international goal scoring rate comparable with Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi.

And he still gets knocked more than just about any player we have produced (not talking about you in this instance Dots)

Sad.

He didn't score against Argentina, but he was the best player on the pitch, bar Ortega, on his home debut for Ireland against them in 1998.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Robbie Keane must be one of few strikers where people think he should have scored more goals against better sides then poorer.

Next up why dont Messi, Ronaldo, Aguero and Suarez score more hattricks against poorer sides then the very good teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

His most

He made 197 league appearances for Spurs, scoring 80 goals.
    At Wolves and Coventry, he made 104 league appearances, scoring 36 goals.

You're talking bollocks.

His periods spent "playing" at both Inter and Liverpool give a more accurate reflection of his true abilities. An archetypal journeyman - no more than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

His periods spent "playing" at both Inter and Liverpool give a more accurate reflection of his true abilities. An archetypal journeyman - no more than that.

255.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Brilliant GIF... This forum never fails to entertain with ridiculous opinions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

It takes some doing, but you've done it, Chicorytip. The most brainless few posts I've ever laid my eyes on, on this fine forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Duff wrote: »
    It takes some doing, but you've done it, Chicorytip. The most brainless few posts I've ever laid my eyes on, on this fine forum.

Ya ive seen some low IQ stuff here in the past but this is on another level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

His treatment at Liverpool was one of my biggest gripes with Benitez.

It was a real shame. He played fine - something like 7 goals and 4 assists in his first 30-odd games (almost none of which he finished and many were as a sub) and that included things like an absolute screamer against Arsenal, 2 assists against Everton and a couple of goals in the CL as well.
    I can't think of any player who was ever booted out of a club for that level of performance so that clearly wasn't it.

If he had arrived at a time when there wasn't a civil war going on in the club who knows how he might've got on. He certainly would've been a much better option to have around when Torres was injured or buggered off to Chelsea.

Gbear wrote: »
    His treatment at Liverpool was one of my biggest gripes with Benitez.

It was a real shame. He played fine - something like 7 goals and 4 assists in his first 30-odd games (almost none of which he finished and many were as a sub) and that included things like an absolute screamer against Arsenal, 2 assists against Everton and a couple of goals in the CL as well.
    I can't think of any player who was ever booted out of a club for that level of performance so that clearly wasn't it.

If he had arrived at a time when there wasn't a civil war going on in the club who knows how he might've got on. He certainly would've been a much better option to have around when Torres was injured or buggered off to Chelsea.

Seemed like he never was viewed kindly in Benitez's eyes due to the game against Atletico Madrid where he tried a fancy flick for a finish (which was stupid of him) rather than a more sensible attempt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

It seems that whatever facts are put in front of you are just ignoring. Your either trolling or just dislike Keane

Chicory does have a rather amusing take on football.

Who is the world's greatest? Why, obviously...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93331856

Ya ive seen some low IQ stuff here in the past but this is on another level.
    Association football and low intelligence have long been synonymous! 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Association football and low intelligence have long been synonymous! 😂

Nobody can say youre not keeping the tradition alive then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

National Hero!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

His most

Obviously. They are weaker divisions. I'm sure every single striker, good, bad or indifferent, scores more against weaker opposition.

But that is still not to say what you said, that that was his level, as if he only belonged at that level.

Edit - checked, his most goals per season actually came in 2006-08 at Spurs where he netted 22 and 23 goals in consecutive seasons. Where did you get the idea that his most prolific spells "by far" were at Wolves and Coventry?

Late to the party on this one but to support your post and at the same time call out the post you were replying to as the horse $hit that it is, Robbie was the top premiership scorer in the calendar year of 2007. That's a fact. guy doesn't get half the credit he deserves....legend....

Advertisement