Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Degree Qualification Confusion???

Options
  • 18-11-2016 2:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi everyone, Im currently a 3rd year student at IT Tallaght studying IT Management, I'm undecided whether to graduate at the end of this year with an ordinary degree (level 7) or to go on and do another year for an honours degree (level 8), I'm confused about how the qualification system works for eg. 2:1, 2:2 etc.

Is it possible to get a 2:1 for a level 7 degree or is that only for an honours 4 year degree? (i think it is)

Has anybody done 4th year in IT Management, what is the workload compared to 3rd year? i find I'm struggling to keep up a lot of the time with also working 4 days a week in my job as well so i might call it a day at the end of 3rd year and graduate with an ordinary degree.

Is it easy enough to find work in the IT industry with a level 7 qualification?

Would love to hear opinions, cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

dorro6391 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, Im currently a 3rd year student at IT Tallaght studying IT Management, I'm undecided whether to graduate at the end of this year with an ordinary degree (level 7) or to go on and do another year for an honours degree (level 8), I'm confused about how the qualification system works for eg. 2:1, 2:2 etc.

Is it possible to get a 2:1 for a level 7 degree or is that only for an honours 4 year degree? (i think it is)

Has anybody done 4th year in IT Management, what is the workload compared to 3rd year? i find I'm struggling to keep up a lot of the time with also working 4 days a week in my job as well so i might call it a day at the end of 3rd year and graduate with an ordinary degree.

Is it easy enough to find work in the IT industry with a level 7 qualification?

Would love to hear opinions, cheers

A first, 2.1 or 2.2 relates to Honours degrees (level 8) as far as I know.

If at all possible get your honours degree.

Can you get your foot in the door with an ordinary degree, quite possibly, but you'll be competing for grad jobs with people graduating with better degrees.

Also important is any work experience you have, this may somewhat mitigate the above.

Advertisement