Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NEW 2016 Open and Interdepartmental Assistant Principal in Civil Service competition.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

pfitzp90 wrote: »
    Thanks dee75
    I can't understand why I didn't get my scores and others did.

I believe they dont bother grading your etray if you fail maths (or any of the other two exams)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭salomon

noodler wrote: »
    I believe they dont bother grading your etray if you fail maths (or any of the other two exams)

I don't think anyone who is on order of merit got scores (I'm open to correction here)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭pfitzp90

Hi - I know people who passed and didn't get results, and people who failed and did get results.
    It looks like they haven't given results to people who were successful and have to people who failed.
    I failed and didn't get results - anyone else in this situation?
    Why give results to some people who failed, and not to others who failed?

I still am sure that they didn't put themselves through the bother of marking an etray if you failed the numerical.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭seamie78

It might be that they havnt issued the etray results yet, which would mean people who passed the first 3 tests and failed the etray have not received their results yet

Anyone in the same situation as me?
    Seanie78 - if I passed the first 3, and failed the etray, why not just give me my results?
    I don't understand why they haven't.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭gics

When you say two years experience and off probation, I have over two years I civil service on whole but am on probation for HEO job so does that mean I won't qualify for the AP1. I have no access to work emails at min, could someone post the circular?

gics wrote: »
    When you say two years experience and off probation, I have over two years I civil service on whole but am on probation for HEO job so does that mean I won't qualify for the AP1. I have no access to work emails at min, could someone post the circular?

Yeah, my understanding is you wouldn't quite in the above scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

From the circular:
    Be among the top 300 scoring candidates* at Stage 2 of the selection process from
    the current AP Standard Interdepartmental competition, „Circular 26/2016:
    Interdepartmental Competition for promotion to Assistant Principal (AP) Standard in
    the Civil Service‟ which is currently in progress

and...
    Officers on probation are not eligible to compete except where they would have been
    eligible had they remained in their previous grade. Periods of special leave without
    pay should not be considered to break continuity of service for this purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Omnishambles99

Here you go gics

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ShellyMCD

Does this mean that if you are an AP on probation from the 2015 competition that you are not eligible to apply?

Thanks

ShellyMCD wrote: »
    Does this mean that if you are an AP on probation from the 2015 competition that you are not eligible to apply?

Thanks

Thats would be my reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

ShellyMCD wrote: »

Thanks
    Be a currently serving Assistant Principal Standard or equivalent grade with not less than two years‟ service in the Civil Service before the closing date of 8th March, 2017.
    Depends on if you were a civil servant before being appointed AP or not.
    If you were a new entrant, then no, you wouldn't be able to apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Got my eligibility email. Here we go again!!!
    And we have to write a covering letter.... it's been bloody years since I wrote one of those....:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11 awickmor

Gah! No sign of any eligibility email here. I'm not enjoying this constant waiting by my inbox!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

What's an eligibility email??? From where does it originate?

It'll show up in your public jobs messages if you fit this criterion:

"Be among the top 300 scoring candidates* at Stage 2 of the selection process from the current AP Standard Interdepartmental competition, ?Circular 26/2016: Interdepartmental Competition for promotion to Assistant Principal (AP) Standard in the Civil Service? which is currently in progress.2

I thought it was the exam scores coming through!!!

I got an eligibility email & if I hadn't have got HEO promotion I would have been eligible to apply as an EO I think so I think I'm covered. I didn't see anything about a cover letter but I'm assuming that will be in the email from my dept hrs?

Well have an interview in 2 weeks and a golden key for AP H. Still no sign of the scores though lol

I got an eligibility email & if I hadn't have got HEO promotion I would have been eligible to apply as an EO I think so I think I'm covered. I didn't see anything about a cover letter but I'm assuming that will be in the email from my dept hrs?

Reference to the cover letter is in the accompanying document on the circular.

• Advertisement

Thanks I was in the middle of something earlier so I just had a quick look at the eligibility, I just read over it there.... more preparation

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ZolaGood

salomon wrote: »
    Well have an interview in 2 weeks and a golden key for AP H. Still no sign of the scores though lol

Same ...interview on 15th-not the best date work wise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

That's the great thing about having such an alphabetically low name.

Monday the 6th.

Wouldn't surprise me if I'm in the first 4/5 people to be interviewed.

quad_red wrote: »
    That's the great thing about having such an alphabetically low name.

Monday the 6th.

Wouldn't surprise me if I'm in the first 4/5 people to be interviewed.

Mines low enough alphabetically, I'm not on til 13th

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Veledan22

salomon wrote: »
    Mines low enough alphabetically, I'm not on til 13th

I'm at the start of the alphabet and not on until the 15th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭dee75

I'm on 14th and surname is early in alphabet.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Nocrac

Am I right in saying that AP Higher would only be of interest to existing civil servants willing to take a position in Dublin in Taoiseach's, Finance or DPER?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭seamie78

I was wondering that myself, would there be any regional positions

It's only those departments. Very few departments have AP higher posts.

I'm definitely not interested in Dublin so I could rules myself out straight away if I knew what departments had higher APs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Winterspring

I'm definitely not interested in Dublin so I could rules myself out straight away if I knew what departments had higher APs
    It is just the three listed in the booklet as far as I know. Have never heard of them in other departments.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Nocrac

It is just the three listed in the booklet as far as I know. Have never heard of them in other departments.

They are in other Departments but are usually assigned on seniority, e.g. a certain Percentage of the APs in the Department are on it. It's not something that means anything to anyone other than the small financial benefit to the person receiving it. However, AFAIK all APs in the Departments mentioned in the circular are higher scale.

No point me bothering then

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

Folks - am new to this whole process as I'm an external applicant in the "Open" campaign. I'm drawing some conclusions from what I'm reading here and elsewhere but would like your thoughts on my assumptions to see if I've understood correctly...
    1) I've only heard mention of this third interview stage and the "panel" - am I to take it from that there is only 1 interview stage? And that those who are successful go to panel?
    2) With the panel - is my understanding that this is a pool of successful applicants which departments go to to fill vacancies as they arise?
    3) What happens to successful interviewees when the panel expires (in this case I think I read Oct 31st) - do you need to go through all stages again?
    4) Do I assume that all new entrants at AP level start at the lowest salary level, or is your current salary taken into account - does that work the same for external applicants?
    Again - sorry if my questions are stupid - appreciate getting some expert insight.
    Cheers

Folks - am new to this whole process as I'm an external applicant in the "Open" campaign. I'm drawing some conclusions from what I'm reading here and elsewhere but would like your thoughts on my assumptions to see if I've understood correctly...
    1) I've only heard mention of this third interview stage and the "panel" - am I to take it from that there is only 1 interview stage? And that those who are successful go to panel?
    2) With the panel - is my understanding that this is a pool of successful applicants which departments go to to fill vacancies as they arise?
    3) What happens to successful interviewees when the panel expires (in this case I think I read Oct 31st) - do you need to go through all stages again?
    4) Do I assume that all new entrants at AP level start at the lowest salary level, or is your current salary taken into account - does that work the same for external applicants?
    Again - sorry if my questions are stupid - appreciate getting some expert insight.
    Cheers

1. Yes, one competency based interview and then you get a place on a panel.
    2. The panel is generally worked through systematically. In other words, those placed higher on the panel will receive offers before those lower on the panel. One of the exceptions to this is if you have applied for/ticked a regional position on your form- if there are no vacancies in your region, then other regions (generally Dublin) will be filled from panellists lower down the panel who have indicated Dublin (e.g. ) as their preference.
    3. Yes, you start from scratch
    4. Generally lowest point, but sometimes room for manoeuvre locally (anecdotal) if a business case put forward.

No such thing as a stupid question :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Confused1979

In relation to the AP1 competition which was announced yesterday - has anyone heard when the interviews for that competition are likely to be?

1. Yes, one competency based interview and then you get a place on a panel.
    2. The panel is generally worked through systematically. In other words, those placed higher on the panel will receive offers before those lower on the panel. One of the exceptions to this is if you have applied for/ticked a regional position on your form- if there are no vacancies in your region,  then other regions (generally Dublin) will be filled from panellists lower down the panel who have indicated Dublin (e.g. ) as their preference.
    3. Yes, you start from scratch
    4. Generally lowest point, but sometimes room for manoeuvre locally (anecdotal) if a business case put forward.

No such thing as a stupid question :-)
    many thanks Tea & Coffee - those questions have been bugging me so good to have them answered so quickly. One more if I may - Do I take it that successful interviewees are informed that they have been successful, are in a panel and then wait, or do you only know when you are offered a position (in this case sometime between now and October...)

William72 wrote: »
    many thanks Tea & Coffee - those questions have been bugging me so good to have them answered so quickly. One more if I may - Do I take it that successful interviewees are informed that they have been successful, are in a panel and then wait, or do you only know when you are offered a position (in this case sometime between now and October...)

You are informed whether or not you have been successful and what your position is on the panel. Obviously the higher you are on the panel, the sooner thereafter you are likely to hear about your actual offer- you will be sent clearance forms and so on and then offered a place in a department. I think you *may* have one refusal, but generally this will only be based on geography i.e. you live in Balbriggan and are offered a place in Shankill and it's too far to travel; perhaps others can clarify. If you refuse (or refuse more than once) then you are off the list, as such.

• Advertisement

William72 wrote: »
    many thanks Tea & Coffee - those questions have been bugging me so good to have them answered so quickly. One more if I may - Do I take it that successful interviewees are informed that they have been successful, are in a panel and then wait, or do you only know when you are offered a position (in this case sometime between now and October...)

You are informed whether or not you have been successful and what your position is on the panel. Obviously the higher you are on the panel, the sooner thereafter you are likely to hear about your actual offer- you will be sent clearance forms and so on and then offered a place in a department. I think you *may* have one refusal, but generally this will only be based on geography i.e. you live in Balbriggan and are offered a place in Shankill and it's too far to travel; perhaps others can clarify. If you refuse (or refuse more than once) then you are off the list, as such.
    brilliant - thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 deskbottle

Has anyone got any info on the structure of the interview?......anyone been through it before?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 FitSpin

Just wondering where is it written on documentation provided so far as to when the panel for this competition expires?
    Thanks in advance

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

FitSpin wrote: »
    Just wondering where is it written on documentation provided so far as to when the panel for this competition expires?
    Thanks in advance

Convention is the panel has a lifespan of 1 year from the date of first appointment from the panel. I'm not sure where this is written though.

Interview is competency based - have 2 solid examples for each one and rehearse them.
    You'll get one or 2 general questions - just answer honestly.
    How would you prepare a paper for gov on the aging population?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Convention is the panel has a lifespan of 1 year from the date of first appointment from the panel. I'm not sure where this is written though.

It's stated at the very start of the Circular and this is a direct quote:

"It is not envisaged that appointments will be made from this competition after 31 October, 2018."

http://www.circulars.gov.ie/pdf/circular/per/2016/26.pdf

EDIT: No idea why the link above won't work, copy and paste it into browser.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

pfitzp90 wrote: »
    Interview is competency based - have 2 solid examples for each one and rehearse them.
    You'll get one or 2 general questions - just answer honestly.
    How would you prepare a paper for gov on the aging population?

More often than not there will be a general question based on the work of a specific government Department. It may not have anything whatsoever to do with the role/post you're going for. E.g. for an IT post I applied for in Revenue- which was a very technical role- definitely nothing to do with tax- it was expected that you'd have a reasonable idea of how the Department functioned- and I was asked to give a presentation on the difference between tax evasion and tax avoidance, and to use recent examples in the media to comment on how Revenue might mitigate against both.

Depends really- but if you know you're going for a particular Department- make sure you're uptodate on how that Department or group of Departments may have been represented in the media recently- what the issues are/were- and your view on them........... Sounds nasty- but you can see where they're coming from........

Ps- I didn't get the Revenue post :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33 GenevaW

Does anyone know when the feedback is being issued?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Omnishambles99

More often than not there will be a general question based on the work of a specific government Department. It may not have anything whatsoever to do with the role/post you're going for. E.g. for an IT post I applied for in Revenue- which was a very technical role- definitely nothing to do with tax- it was expected that you'd have a reasonable idea of how the Department functioned- and I was asked to give a presentation on the difference between tax evasion and tax avoidance, and to use recent examples in the media to comment on how Revenue might mitigate against both.

Depends really- but if you know you're going for a particular Department- make sure you're uptodate on how that Department or group of Departments may have been represented in the media recently- what the issues are/were- and your view on them........... Sounds nasty- but you can see where they're coming from........

Ps- I didn't get the Revenue post :(

Hard luck on the revenue post conductor :(

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭spidersonmars

Does anybody have the original info booklet for this competition who wouldn't mind sending it on to me please- the wife is trying to prepare for the interview next week. PAS are slow in getting out scores and info for the interview, considering some people will have theirs next Monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 DeirdreDee

Did anyone receive acknowledgement that PAS had received their email confirming attendance at interview?

• Advertisement
Advertisement