Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NEW 2016 Open and Interdepartmental Assistant Principal in Civil Service competition.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Winterspring

DeirdreDee wrote: »
    Did anyone receive acknowledgement that PAS had received their email confirming attendance at interview?
    No actually. Nothing on the interview panel yet either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 awickmor

Just received the familiarisation materials for the interview. Nothing altogether surprising but good to have them. Still no sign of the breakdown of test results.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭gics

It's strange that they haven't issued the breakdown of results or the panels by now. They seem to be rushing the whole process this time

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ZolaGood

gics wrote: »
    It's strange that they haven't issued the breakdown of results or the panels by now. They seem to be rushing the whole process this time

I wonder are they holding off and issuing all results together for those of us being interviewed,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Howiyas855

Does anyone know how we are supposed to provide a reference for the past three years that does not include our current employer? Should the reference be an actual written reference or just contact details? Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭dee75

Does anyone know yet, are they combining interview scores with eTray score?

Or are we back to a blank slate and only the interview score will determine order of merit?

dee75 wrote: »
    Does anyone know yet, are they combining interview scores with eTray score?

Or are we back to a blank slate and only the interview score will determine order of merit?

I've read through original circular, stage 2 and stage 3 material and can't find any reference to this. The etray and Job simulation were combined to get the rankings for stage 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭pfitzp90

Got scores today - passed everything but I was eliminated because my maths score was 20% lower on supervised
    than on unsupervised (72/80).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Hard luck on the revenue post conductor :(

Second that. The info The Conductor provides on this thread is hugely helpful. Hope you get good news soon.

pfitzp90 wrote: »
    Got scores today - passed everything but I was eliminated because my maths score was 20% lower on supervised
    than on unsupervised (72/80). Why didn't I only do 75% of the unsupervised questions. Madness.
    Any suggestions - I DID NOT CHEAT. I never failed a maths test. EVER.

That is incredibly harsh.

I'd be challenging that immediately.

Your score on the Maths not being within 15% shouldn't matter at all as you only need to pass the Maths, your score doesn't count so there's no real benefit.

Are your other scores higher than previous rounds? Could you argue that the sum of your scores in Stage 2 are within 15% of sum of your scores in Stage 1?

• Advertisement

What galls me is that once you pass the maths, it has no bearing on anything -

My verbal was EXACTLY the same score.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭gics

I would definitely challenge it although I will be surprised it they reverse their decision tbh. In order to treat everyone the same they will have a cut of difference & 20% is obviously above that cut off

My unsupervised maths score was higher that the previous 3 unsupervised competitions I did.
    My supervised score was lower than the previous 3 supervised competitions I did.

I know of other people who got through despite being over the 15%

I know of other people who got through despite being over the 15% - so they don't treat everyone the same.
    They don't tell everyone that.

Well, if they've set a precedent there's your appeal right there.

than on unsupervised (72/80). Why didn't I only do 75% of the unsupervised questions. Madness.
    Any suggestions - I DID NOT CHEAT. I never failed a maths test. EVER.

Oh God that seems very harsh. It's not like you failed stage 2 maths having aced stage 1. Your supervised score was still phenomenal and you obviously didn't have help.

I'm sorry to hear that and I hope they allow you to put in an appeal. It seems mad that that they can say you are out of time to appeal before you had an opportunity to know what you needed to appeal.

My verbal was EXACTLY the same score.

So your TOTAL score was within the 15%?

Go back and read the original Circular to see how it's worded... because as it stands you scored within the 15% in the verified test.

That's a good point - back to rtfm.

• Advertisement

The out of time thing was very sneaky.

The out of time thing was very sneaky.
    I was told on 21st Feb that I was unsuccessful - no scores - no way to make an appeal.
    Other people who failed got their scores on 21st Feb.
    Yesterday, I got scores and was told that I was outside the 15%. I sent in an appeal immediately, but
    was told I am out of time. Probably because they started the clock on 21st Feb, at which point
    I couldn't have made an appeal - just another way to put people off and not have to stand over their
    procedures.

Is there any indication where you would have ranked had the 20% issue not arisen or did they not mark your etray because of it?

It's disgraceful that they are saying you are out of time at this stage-I would not accept it -get thee to your union

I didn't get the etray result, but I assume I passed it. That's because if I failed it, they would
    have used that to fail me and not risk any push back in relation to the 15% rule.
    Path of least resistance and all....

Other people who were outside the 15% rule, but failed the exam, were just told they
    failed - no mention of the 15% rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭eimaj18

Hi there. I'm 420 - what's the likely hood of them calling more batches does anyone know? Thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

eimaj77 wrote: »
    Hi there. I'm 420 - what's the likely hood of them calling more batches does anyone know? Thanks in advance

I'd be less optimistic than last time.

Given they have a couple of hundred people who passed the e-tray and exams - I'd be confident (degree, policy experience and managerial experience assumed) that the majoirty of them would be good bets to pass the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭salomon

What's the story with the scores being randomly sent out? Surely they should all be sent out at the same time?

• Advertisement

You'd have thought!!

Has anyone who has been invited to interview received their breakdown of scores yet?

Public Jobs must have heard me! I just received my score breakdowns.

Is there any information on whether the E-Tray scores are taken into consideration, alongside the interview, in the final Order of Merit? I can't seem to find it mentioned anywhere. Apologies I think I may have asked this before!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Veledan22

awickmor wrote: »
    Public Jobs must have heard me! I just received my score breakdowns.

Is there any information on whether the E-Tray scores are taken into consideration, alongside the interview, in the final Order of Merit? I can't seem to find it mentioned anywhere. Apologies I think I may have asked this before!

I'm waiting for PAS to come back to me with an answer on this, I will post here if I get any information.

Veledan22 wrote: »
    I'm waiting for PAS to come back to me with an answer on this, I will post here if I get any information.

Thanks so much!

• Advertisement

Thanks so much!

Just got my breakdown of results too. It's interesting to see!

I improved on all from the unsupervised so I guess I work better than I expected under pressure!

Verbal went up by 7
    Numerical went up by 7
    Situational went up by 9
    And I got 69 in etray

And I could not tell you what I did on the day! It's all a blur.

It will be good to see if PAS reply to veledan22.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭seamie78

did well on all areas but took quite a drop in the situational judgment anybody else have similar experience?

I went up a bit in the Situational Judgement and dipped a bit in Verbal (but not enough to have me disqualified). Delighted with my result in the Etray (That's why I really hope it counts!)

I went up a bit in the Situational Judgement and dipped a bit in Verbal (but not enough to have me disqualified). Delighted with my result in the Etray (That's why I really hope it counts!)

I did better in everything except the maths where I slipped to 46. I was happy with the etray considering I failed it in November my situational was far better -pity that's not counted with interview

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Omnishambles99

dee75 wrote: »
    Just got my breakdown of results too. It's interesting to see!

I improved on all from the unsupervised so I guess I work better than I expected under pressure!

Verbal went up by 7
    Numerical went up by 7
    Situational went up by 9
    And I got 69 in etray

And I could not tell you what I did on the day! It's all a blur.

It will be good to see if PAS reply to veledan22.

Awickmor, as a matter of interest what was the pass mark for the etray? Do you know ?

The qualifying score for the Etray was 40.

All of them were marked out of 80. Pass mark in verbal numerical and etray was 40. Pass mark in situational was 41.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 GorSin

I asked about the reference requirement as I have been working with my current employer for 8 years.

I got this response:
    "The fact you have been with your current employer for more than 3 years you don’t need to bring a reference to interview."

I hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Veledan22

PAS got back to me, only the interview score counts in final ranking.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭salomon

No pressure then!

• Advertisement

As is standard in fairness.

Ah well, I was really hoping the Etray would drag me up. I have a lot of work to do between now and Tuesday so! :(

Ah well, I was really hoping the Etray would drag me up. I have a lot of work to do between now and Tuesday so! :(

Me too! Although I have til the following week to practice.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

noodler wrote: »
    As is standard in fairness.

Its not standard though- up to now the final panel placement was a composite of the etray and interview scores. E-tray only recently got separately shifted to stage 2- to try and make things a little easier for PAS scheduling interviews- as so many people were doing interviews and e-trays on the same day- and getting the interview but falling over on the e-tray.

To be brutally honest- the whole process, the whole recruitment process- is nuts. You have people who might make brilliant APs (or any other grade) being tossed aside- on the basis of a bad maths test, deviating from one score by over 15%- or other reasons that caused some component of the testing to go skew-ways. You could end up with a complete and utter psychopath- who is good at interviews and sufficient at online testing- who goes on to make everyone's life a misery- or indeed- someone who could gel a dysfunctional Division together could end up discarded.........

There has to be a better way of recruiting candidates.

Its not standard though- up to now the final panel placement was a composite of the etray and interview scores. E-tray only recently got separately shifted to stage 2- to try and make things a little easier for PAS

Last time the interview and etray were part of the same stage.

It is standard that results from a previous stage aren't taken into consideration in the next stage.

Agree with you, I've years of experience, most recently in the CS and didn't get through because of a rather obscure Job Sim which bears no resemblance to the tasks an AP might have to undertake.

15% issue looks like might be going to court - can anyone out there help with this?
    Thanks.

15% issue looks like might be going to court - can anyone out there help with this?
    Thanks.

You can't get legal advice on boards.ie.

Nor should you tbh.

Wasn't looking for legal advice, I personally have quite enough of that.
    I will be going into this with eyes wide open.
    Just wondering if anyone had similar experiences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

x

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You can clarify this at the interview- the interviewers always have a good note taker amongst them........ I wouldn't worry unduly- lots of people have gaps (for various reasons, ill health, caring or parental duties etc etc). Don't worry- its not unusual........

Advertisement