Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NEW 2016 Open and Interdepartmental Assistant Principal in Civil Service competition.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭dee75

Rosie and Dee, are you both "outside " candidates I. e not currently civil service

Yes. I'm an "outside" candidate (and I really want to join the gang!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Unknowed

Dee - do you remember who was on your panel? I'm trying to figure out whether they asked me different questions because they were different people or because they didn't challenge me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

ha ha, apologies Dee, I didn't mean it like that! I am trying to figure out of they're shaping questions to the candidate's previous experience or not, that's all.
    You will have seen the legal jobs up on Public Jobs?
    https://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/campaignAdvert/50312.htm Assistant Sec level, but why not!
    https://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/campaignAdvert/49739.htm AP level!

Unknowed wrote: »
    Dee - do you remember who was on your panel? I'm trying to figure out whether they asked me different questions because they were different people or because they didn't challenge me.

Sent you a PM

ha ha, apologies Dee, I didn't mean it like that! I am trying to figure out of they're shaping questions to the candidate's previous experience or not, that's all.
    You will have seen the legal jobs up on Public Jobs?
    https://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/campaignAdvert/50312.htm Assistant Sec level, but why not!
    https://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/campaignAdvert/49739.htm AP level!

Thanks tea and coffee

Don't worry, I didn't take any offence!

Thanks for the links. I check public jobs religiously every day and spotted those two roles. There's also a fab job in the PRAI at deputy registrar level - but there will be some very serious candidates for those jobs as they come up so rarely! I will probably put in an application but I wouldn't have the very specific experience they are looking for.

Cheers

Dee

noodler wrote: »
    The thing about this is, you can make competitions Open.

But it really shouldn't be a shock if people who report to APs on a daily basis and have worked in Departments for years are deemed better equipped to be APs.

....or they know how to "talk the talk" better than some of us?

Either way, I really wish everyone the very best. We've all done so well to get to Stage 3.

And if I don't get through the interview, I will know I tried my best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

dee75 wrote: »
    ....or they know how to "talk the talk" better than some of us?

Either way, I really wish everyone the very best. We've all done so well to get to Stage 3.

And if I don't get through the interview, I will know I tried my best!

You could be that cynical but they have civil service experience for a civil service job.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭salomon

The thing about this is, you can make competitions Open.

But it really shouldn't be a shock if people who report to APs on a daily basis and have worked in Departments for years are deemed better equipped to be APs.

I think it would be a shock; either you want the best people for the job or you want silos. Surely the ability to challenge the conventional thinking and not just do things a certain way because that's the way they've always been done that way.

And people who can demonstrate that they can do that should be the people getting the job be they CS or private sector

salomon wrote: »
    I think it would be a shock; either you want the best people for the job or you want silos. Surely the ability to challenge the conventional thinking and not just do things a certain way because that's the way they've always been done that way.

And people who can demonstrate that they can do that should be the people getting the job be they CS or private sector

Well said salomon!

Well said salomon!

Pity it wasn't an interview question :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Veledan22

Sorry if someone posted about this already, but does anyone know when the results are due out?

I actually think that's very naive and I don't mean any offence.

Organisations generally hire what based on experience. Competitions are open to give everyone a fair whack but just having it open doesn't mean all candidates are equal. Same as any job vacancy.

It shouldn't be a shock if the best people for the job are considered to be people with policy experience (AOs) and management experience (HEOs) who report to APs and know civil service structures and procedures.

Veledan22 wrote: »
    Sorry if someone posted about this already, but does anyone know when the results are due out?

Someone said Wednesday or the week after.

I actually think that's very naive and I don't mean any offence.

Organisations generally hire what based on experience. Competitions are open to give everyone a fair whack but just having it open doesn't mean all candidates are equal. Same as any job vacancy.

It shouldn't be a shock if the best people for the job are considered to be people with policy experience (AOs) and management experience (HEOs) who report to APs and know civil service structures and procedures.

No offence taken but I think you are being naive yourself; we don't have a world leading civil service, just get the job done and if I'm being honest, I've never seen an AP who I would gladly follow into battle and, indeed a few of them would have been shot in the trench.

If we have a world leading civil service then youd certainly be right in your assertions.

No offence taken but I think you are being naive yourself; we don't have a world leading civil service, just get the job done and if I'm being honest, I've never seen an AP who I would gladly follow into battle and, indeed a few of them would have been shot in the trench.

If we have a world leading civil service then youd certainly be right in your assertions.

My assertions?

My assertions are that it is perfectly logical that the majority of successful candidates will be from inside the service. This is born out in the data.

I'm not too sure what the rest of your post is referring to.

Veledan22 wrote: »

Hi veledan22

I rang PAS today and what they said was they hoped to have results out next week but it could be the following week!

For the sake of my nerves I might just assume it will be two weeks and I'll try and forget about it for a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I know this isn't the PC thing to say but practically every AP I've worked with has been excellent at their job, highly motivated and very hard working. Many of them would earn far more money in the private sector. Talent retention is the huge buzz word in many Govt Depts at the moment as there's a struggle the hold onto the brightest and best.

Our Civil Service ranks very well against sized countries and the OECD said, at the height of our numbers in 2008, that we do more with less. Then there's the likes of Revenue who have a fantastic international reputation winning multiple awards.

The interview board couldn't have been nicer. Which I took ad being a very bad sign. Lovely people, but you could see them almost feeling sorry for me as I bombed all of the questions. So embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

Inside candidates always have an advantage unless those hiring have high up their agenda the need to bring fresh blood in. For whatever reason. It is what it is.

I say this as a near 30 year private sector vet whose other half is similar but has their hat in the ring on this process.

G'luck to all.

• Advertisement

From the Civil Service Renewal Plan:

"Action 8
    Open up recruitment and promotion processes at all levels

Why is this needed?
    To bring in new skills and competencies in critical areas, to actively manage the challenges we face as an ageing workforce, to ensure that each appointment in the Civil Service draws on the widest possible pool of available talent, and to provide more open development opportunities for all staff. Staff mobility is also essential to making best use of the skills across the Civil Service and approaches to strengthen this are set out in Action 15."

For those on the outside, let's hope they mean what they say. For those on the inside, there are strong arguments for growing internal talent.

Let's hope everyone gets a fair shot. Good luck to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 DeirdreDee

If you pass the interview, do they tell you your place in the order of merit for the two counties you had to pick at the beginning of the process?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Confused1979

That is the way it typically works but really who knows!

Did anyone do the video interview for the AP higher?

What's AP higher?

What's AP higher?

That is the way it typically works but really who knows!

Did anyone do the video interview for the AP higher?

not yet. I need to get over the ap interview first

• Advertisement

not yet. I need to get over the ap interview first

The first 300 from the interdepartmental panel were eligible to apply for the AP higher competition. Stage 1 is an online video interview.

When is your AP interview?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

I was traumatised enough by the AP etray/tests/interview and that shagging application form that I couldn't face the AP Higher...

The first 300 from the interdepartmental panel were eligible to apply for the AP higher competition. Stage 1 is an online video interview.

When is your AP interview?

Apologies, I wasn't clear. I meant more along the lines of what Tauren Druid said; that I was traumatised by my interview last week and need to put some distance between it and the video interview in order to try and avoid a repeat of my poor performance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Unknowed wrote: »
    What's AP higher?

There are two types of AP Higher- certain posts in some government Departments are automatically designated as 'higher' posts- in recognition of the perceived greater demands of working in certain areas. In addition- there is a small pool of 'higher' posts available to standard officers- which are assigned on the basis of seniority. By agreement with the unions- in the AP grade- this is limited to 20% of the AP posts in the civil service. I.e. the total number of AP Higher posts will not exceed 20% of the total number of posts- and of those not used up in the 'golden child' Departments- they are assigned to officers on the basis of seniority.

This is a practice in common with all grades up to AP- i.e. there are CO Higher, EO Higher, HEO Higher etc- all assigned on the basis of seniority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

I just want them to post the bloody results now and put us out of our misery!

0c6460ac5f131e2e96be80ce29ad434ac8839abcfcabfc96cc20b6b2827242c2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Omnishambles99

There are two types of AP Higher- certain posts in some government Departments are automatically designated as 'higher' posts- in recognition of the perceived greater demands of working in certain areas. In addition- there is a small pool of 'higher' posts available to standard officers- which are assigned on the basis of seniority. By agreement with the unions- in the AP grade- this is limited to 20% of the AP posts in the civil service. I.e. the total number of AP Higher posts will not exceed 20% of the total number of posts- and of those not used up in the 'golden child' Departments- they are assigned to officers on the basis of seniority.

This is a practice in common with all grades up to AP- i.e. there are CO Higher, EO Higher, HEO Higher etc- all assigned on the basis of seniority.

There's PO higher scale as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

T In addition- there is a small pool of 'higher' posts available to standard officers- which are assigned on the basis of seniority.

They are not all on the basis of seniority - that is down to the staff to decide

Just spoke to Pas, results may possibly be out next week. So squeaky bum time for a while longer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭sligo_dave

Just spoke to Pas, results may possibly be out next week. So squeaky bum time for a while longer!

It doesn't make sense that there would be much delay. Surely the interviews are marked on the day and it's only a matter of putting those scores in order!! I'd rather just be put out of my misery at this point, either way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Remember they have load the results into their system to send out one email a minute after someone presses a button...

I wish the new job alerts for jobs I'm not qualified for/way overqualified for/position is in a different country would stop between now and D-Day though...

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Rosiebeans81

Has the AP higher deadline passed or does anyone know when it is?

Rosie and Dee, are you both "outside " candidates I. e not currently civil service

I am currently in the CS but only a little over a year do for this comp am only eligible on the Open competition

deadline for application forms has passed. video interviews close tonight at 23 59 with the links already sent to all applicants

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

There are small APH1 panels constituted every 8-10 weeks- keep an eye out on PAS. Just because you've missed this one, you'll not have to wait too long before it comes around again. Revenue also list them separately on their website.

• Advertisement

deadline for application forms has passed. video interviews close tonight at 23 59 with the links already sent to all applicants

Thanks for that . Didn't have the heart to do it after the interview esp when unlikely to be around my area. Might have done it later in the week if it hadn't passed!

Rang pas to see if any update on when the results out. They just said this week . And have no indication of how many will be on the final panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Veledan22

Rang pas to see if any update on when the results out. They just said this week . And have no indication of how many will be on the final panel.

It would be great to get it over and done with this week!

These new job alerts from public jobs are puttin the heart cross ways on me!!

These new job alerts from public jobs are puttin the heart cross ways on me!!

Turn them off til next week! I've mine off but I know I screwed up the interview

Whether this makes sense or not I totally expected to get the result today. At 4pm. I seemed to get every other notification of the next stage then!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 GorSin

quad_red wrote: »
    Whether this makes sense or not I totally expected to get the result today. At 4pm. I seemed to get every other notification of the next stage then!

Totally makes sense. I was the same. I had Wednesday afternoon in my head. My nerves are shot. I don't know why- as the interview felt like a car crash, and I should have any expectations. I'm letting it completely distract me from preparations for an interview the week after next.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Winterspring

Someone I work with phoned pas today and they said results hopefully out today or tomorrow

Someone I work with phoned pas today and they said results hopefully out today or tomorrow

Oh God......

Seriously email watch now! Don't know why I'm so bothered, seeing as I feel I didn't do well in the interview.

Good luck everyone.

• Advertisement

Oh God......

Seriously email watch now! Don't know why I'm so bothered, seeing as I feel I didn't do well in the interview.

Good luck everyone.

I know. I answered a few questions poorly at the interview. The following weekend I had many moments where I stopped and cringed, remembering something in full technicolour.

Just want it concluded now so I can move on.

Advertisement