Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NEW 2016 Open and Interdepartmental Assistant Principal in Civil Service competition.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭salomon

DeirdreDee wrote: »
    50 in leadership. I got 80 in December in the last competition...

I dropped from 80s on all competencies to a low of 50 on 2 and a high of 64

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭dee75

salomon wrote: »
    I dropped from 80s on all competencies to a low of 50 on 2 and a high of 64

Looks like marking was a good deal harder in this competition. My marks ranged from low of 48 in Leadership to a high of 74 in Interpersonal and communication skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Rosiebeans81

Delighted I managed to get on the panel in the low 100's .Esp as its my fist attempt at this comp level. I know panels open until October 18 but I'm assuming itl never get to my number . Pity but happy over all to get on it. Well done to everyone who got on and commiserations to those who didn't . They seem to have marked leadership very hard.
    Does anyone know if we need to ring re position for different regions or do they tell you? I think I'm Tipp and Kilkenny but unlikely to get to my number either way!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭gics

In the recent HEO panel a few days after the results were issued they gave out the regional numbers to however contacted them.

?

Does anyone know how far down the last panel they got? Have seen some threads suggesting this one won't move as fast as most AP vacancies were filled in the last campaign. I'm down for Dublin and Cork.

I dunno, never thought the HEO comp would get to batch 3 for assignments, never mind batch 5 and this comp has moved very fast do I'm hopeful theyll get through panel(for dublin based applicants anyway)

Anyone else have thoughts?

If your Dublin and batch one I would think your pretty certain to get an offer over the life of the panel. Regional locations I would think it will be different, no certainties there. There are alternate more HEOs versus APS in my experience so vacancies don't come up as often

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭luckyboy

I dunno, never thought the HEO comp would get to batch 3 for assignments, never mind batch 5 and this comp has moved very fast do I'm hopeful theyll get through panel(for dublin based applicants anyway)

Anyone else have thoughts?

Given the demographic timebomb waiting to go off in most departments, with so many retirements forecast for 2018 in particular, I would be very hopeful for all candidates in Batch 1. I would expect there to be Dublin offers for all of them relatively quickly (unless PAS consider that by not ticking Dublin as one of your two choices of
    Region, they can ignore you and move to the next candidate).

PAS got through 4 batches of candidates for the 2015 Open AP competition, so I would be very surprised if the same did not ensue this time

Just some more thoughts:

As this was also described as a First Secretary competition, DFA will surely siphon off the top 20 or so from the Open Panel and invite them to sit a separate First Sec interview, as a stand-alone process outside of their AP panelling which would still obviously stand regardless.

In the 2015 competition, the first 20 were initially invited to be interviewed for First Sec, of whom 8 apparently became First Secretaries (with the obligations that that brings in terms of willingness to spend large parts of one's career abroad etc). DFA did a later trawl of the 2015 Open AP panel in late 2016, and invited everybody down as far as 37 (at least) to try out for First Sec. I know of at least one DFA AP who regraded to become a First Sec during this process ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

luckyboy wrote: »
    Just some more thoughts:

As this was also described as a First Secretary competition, DFA will surely siphon off the top 20 or so from the Open Panel and invite them to sit a separate First Sec interview, as a stand-alone process outside of their AP panelling which would still obviously stand regardless.

In the 2015 competition, the first 20 were initially invited to be interviewed for First Sec, of whom 8 apparently became First Secretaries (with the obligations that that brings in terms of willingness to spend large parts of one's career abroad etc). DFA did a later trawl of the 2015 Open AP panel in late 2016, and invited everybody down as far as 37 (at least) to try out for First Sec. I know of at least one DFA AP who regraded to become a First Sec during this process ...

Only if they had ticked the First Sec box!

• Advertisement

Just trying to figure out the pass rate.

How high in the 100's does the Panel go? If you finished in the 100s, or your friend did, can you post the number?

Thanks.

How high in the 100's does the Panel go? If you finished in the 100s, or your friend did, can you post the number?

Thanks.

Would also be interested to work that out. My friend was in the low-80s on the Open, and low-50s on the Inter-D ...

Thanks.
    I was 110s in open and 70s in interD

I was 110s in open and 70s in interD

Well done, hope you get the place you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Past30Now

I heard of a guy getting 145 in the open.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Confused1979

Past30Now wrote: »

How many were called for interview this time from the open. 145/? Is there a higher pass rate this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Winterspring

Past30Now wrote: »

How many were called for interview this time from the open. 145/? Is there a higher pass rate this time.
    205 but this time everyone had already passed the Etray

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Steveie2017

Made the panel....absolutely thrilled!! Placed 21 on the open and 11 on the inter but I've chosen two regional locations so I'm hoping I get a placement within the lifetime of the panel. Not sure what vacancies are in those regions and I'm hoping with retirements, promotions etc that I'll get lucky. Congrats to all who made the panel and hard luck to those who didn't.

205 but this time everyone had already passed the Etray

Yea but it means they must have realistic expectations of placing significant numbers. Certainly in Dublin anyway. It will be interesting to see the location numbers if they are released

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Well done to all who made the various panels.
    The numbers eligible to retire over the next two/three years are huge so there is a strong chance they'll get a long way if not exhaust the various panels.
    The numbers retiring and loss of knowledge etc will bring with it it's own challenges especially when there's very little, if any, handover options.

Well done, hope you get the place you want.

Cheers. I hope to stay put but you never know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 GenevaW

Just out of interest, if you selected two non-Dublin counties, does this mean you're definitely out of the running for any Dublin positions, i.e. that PAS wouldn't contact to see if you'd consider a Dublin position? I'm down for Dublin and wondering if they'll call a second batch for interview soon if a large amount of Batch 1 are looking for non-Dublin roles.

GenevaW wrote: »
    Just out of interest, if you selected two non-Dublin counties, does this mean you're definitely out of the running for any Dublin positions, i.e. that PAS wouldn't contact to see if you'd consider a Dublin position? I'm down for Dublin and wondering if they'll call a second batch for interview soon if a large amount of Batch 1 are looking for non-Dublin roles.

I know of someone in a recent HEO competition who got a call asking if they would consider changing their first choice to Dublin. So you never know I suppose.

GenevaW wrote: »
    In the HEO comp some people from batch 1 were offered dublin but this was after batch 3 was assigned I.e after approx 450 offers.

I'd say it'll all hinge on number of positions and volume of candidates who got through e-tray

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭duffer247

Made the panel....absolutely thrilled!! Placed 21 on the open and 11 on the inter but I've chosen two regional locations so I'm hoping I get a placement within the lifetime of the panel. Not sure what vacancies are in those regions and I'm hoping with retirements, promotions etc that I'll get lucky. Congrats to all who made the panel and hard luck to those who didn't.

super performance Stevie, well done

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ATTY

Same here. Ironically, failed on my best two competencies from when I passed the interview last time around but failed the eTray.

Me too, dropped a large amount on two competencies but went up in all the others. Failed the etray last time and got 100% this time!! I think this will be the last time I put myself through this, I have the greatest of sympathy for serving civil servants who have to go through this on a regular basis.

Well done everyone who got through.

Confused and Traumatised :confused::(

Anyone called for First Secretary?

Does anyone know when appointments from this panel will start?

ATTY wrote: »
    Me too, dropped a large amount on two competencies but went up in all the others. Failed the etray last time and got 100% this time!! I think this will be the last time I put myself through this, I have the greatest of sympathy for serving civil servants who have to go through this on a regular basis.

Well done everyone who got through.

Confused and Traumatised :confused::(

That's awful ATTY. 100% in the etray should be instant qualification for the job! That's incredible! To work so well under such ridiculous pressure as that bloody etray test....

I hope you don't give up

Did anyone get their regional results?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ZolaGood

gics wrote: »
    Did anyone get their regional results?

Nothing yet but I sent them an email which I'm sure annoyed them no end but I need to know!

• Advertisement

will they definitely issue the panel for the locations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

How does one go about getting feedback does anyone know, please?

Yeah the nationwide results are pretty useless really considering we are limited to two counties. Other than telling you that you passed they are not really a relevant ranking

They will issue feedback but it is very limited. You can do an FOI request but that's not much better to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ZolaGood

gics wrote: »
    Yeah the nationwide results are pretty useless really considering we are limited to two counties. Other than telling you that you passed they are not really a relevant ranking

They are v relevant to me because my office might be able to sort something for me in my regional location depending on where I feature -otherwise it will be Dublin. So I would like to know ASAP

Best of luck then. I hope it works out for you. I'm not moving regardless so I'm not hopeful anything will come of it

• Registered Users Posts: 29 GorSin

No- didn't get any regional results. Do they normally give them automatically in due course, or do you have to look for them?

How is it decided what posts or % posts are open vs interdepartmental? Is there a national policy/agreement or is it specific to each department?

Atty- I got 95% in the e-tray and was gutted that it wasn't included in the scoring for round 3. I suppose it works both ways- some of us would be relieved not to include it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ATTY

dee75 wrote: »
    That's awful ATTY. 100% in the etray should be instant qualification for the job! That's incredible! To work so well under such ridiculous pressure as that bloody etray test....

I hope you don't give up

Thanks Dee, I don't know how I got that mark, I think it might have been a mistake, especially since I only just scraped through the job simulation.

By the time the next competition comes around I might have forgotten the pain of these last two and will try again :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16 deskbottle

Just a quick thank you (another one!) for all the info on this thread......very convoluted system for an external candidate to understand so much obliged!

• Advertisement

ATTY wrote: »
    Thanks Dee, I don't know how I got that mark, I think it might have been a mistake, especially since I only just scraped through the job simulation.

By the time the next competition comes around I might have forgotten the pain of these last two and will try again :D:D

Like childbirth!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 41 DeirdreDee

I e-mailed and asked for the regional panel but no response yet either.

I just got a reply that the regional breakdown will not be available until the panel goes to clearance stage which I'll be at least two weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

"Clearance Stage"? As in cleared for public release?

Redderneck wrote: »
    "Clearance Stage"? As in cleared for public release?

Clearance means that they ensure that you are medically and HR cleared

edit : medical just means that you sign to say your sick leave is okay and you're able to do the job from a health perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

Folks - just FYI; I know people were wondering yesterday; I can confirm that they have begun to issue invitations to First Secretary candidates to attend for separate interviews. Don't know details yet. First week of April.

• Advertisement

Clearance means that they ensure that you are medically and HR cleared

edit : medical just means that you sign to say your sick leave is okay and you're able to do the job from a health perspective

Hr cleared- As in they check with HR if your already in the cs is it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys- for external candidates- clearance is Garda clearance, sick leave from your last employer and two referees. If sickleave is questionable, but Garda clearance etc is fine- normally you'd be sent to the CMO (Chief Medical Officer) for clearance- and any candidates who disclose a disability or a pre-existing medical condition- are automatically forwarded to the CMO for assessment.

Internal candidates- clearance is HR/Personnel in your 'home' Department.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Unknowed

Guys- for external candidates- clearance is Garda clearance, sick leave from your last employer and two referees. If sickleave is questionable, but Garda clearance etc is fine- normally you'd be sent to the CMO (Chief Medical Officer) for clearance- and any candidates who disclose a disability or a pre-existing medical condition- are automatically forwarded to the CMO for assessment.

Internal candidates- clearance is HR/Personnel in your 'home' Department.

What do you mean by "sick leave"? Do you have to list the number of days or something like that? Thanks very much for all your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭spitonmedickie

Hey, can anyone explain to an external candidate how the open/existing CS distinction works in terms of the panels? Is the panel made up of a mix or are there two panels? Sorry for the basic question!

Unknowed wrote: »
    What do you mean by "sick leave"? Do you have to list the number of days or something like that? Thanks very much for all your help!

they just want to make sure that your sick leave is "satisfactory " ie you don't have a history of regular uncertified sick leave etc. That's my understanding anyway

• Advertisement
Advertisement