Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NEW 2016 Open and Interdepartmental Assistant Principal in Civil Service competition.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭mortimer33

If one is successful, how long does the process take (best case scenario) - to get a job offer? Are we talking 3+ months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

mortimer33 wrote: »
    If one is successful, how long does the process take (best case scenario) - to get a job offer? Are we talking 3+ months?

It took about 6/7 months for the HEO completion to bring its first job offers

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭timfinnegan

I have finally got that form out of the way. It feels like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

I didn't bother giving too much detail, just brief examples, have a snowballs chance in hell anyway.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭dee75

franklyon wrote: »
    I didn't bother giving too much detail, just brief examples, have a snowballs chance in hell anyway.:o

I feel much the same as you Franklyon. Sure, we might as well give it a shot and see what happens. ;)

I'm private sector (legal area), and I don't know if I'm p***ing in the wind even trying to go for AP.

Is there a typical work and education background to those who succeed in getting a role as AP? i.e. minimum level 8 or professional qualification, minimum 10 years work experience, etc.

The standard being set seems very high.....

I did a sample verbal reasoning test through the link provided yesterday. I got 60+% percent but as far as I can see it, it didn't show me what answers were right or wrong? Did anyone get that info?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Maur54

No feedback, just a score! That's a good result - I only got 45%!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭PopTarts

What link was that?

PopTarts wrote: »
    What link was that?

Information booklet through the portal. Within that word doc there's a link to practice tests

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Dodge wrote: »
    Information booklet through the portal. Within that word doc there's a link to practice tests

Is that booklet still available now that the competition has closed?
    I applied but can't find information on it now other than notification that my application was submitted.

I'd contact PAS if I was you. The pre-test information was sent out on Friday. If you didn't get that, I'd worry you're not on their system

• Registered Users Posts: 24 BL

Just looked at the appendix with the technical requirements for the online tests. I'm off to find a Netscape installation CD for my Windows 2000 PC. With my 256kb internet connection I'll be all sorted :cool:

Dodge wrote: »
    I did a sample verbal reasoning test through the link provided yesterday. I got 60+% percent but as far as I can see it, it didn't show me what answers were right or wrong? Did anyone get that info?

Just had a go at the sample verbal reasoning test now. Got 70% but it doesn't give you the correct answers, so no idea which I got right or wrong!

Does anyone know, for the "real" test this weekend, what is the required standard or pass rate?

I've tried two sample numerical analysis tests online as well - first one I only got 30% but once I got going I managed to get 65% on the second one. Again, does anyone know what the pass rate is on that test?

I think I need to find time to do a couple more sample tests online to get myself familiar with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

has anyone got the link to the real tests yet? The window to do them is going to be very narrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

has anyone got the link to the real tests yet? The window to do them is going to be very narrow.

Nope. Think they're expected on/by Thursday, to be completed by Tuesday. Very small window IMO, plus with the time of year that it is.

• Advertisement

Well the test link has been sent to applicants. It was in my messages on Public Jobs.

Good luck to all trying it! I'm very nervous of it, as I think the Numerical test will be my downfall.

Does anyone know how many questions there are in the verbal and numeric sections? i know the time limit is 19 and 25 minutes but knowing the amount you are expected to answer would be a big help.

Does anyone know how many questions there are in the verbal and numeric sections? i know the time limit is 19 and 25 minutes but knowing the amount you are expected to answer would be a big help.

The clock will countdown and automatically move you through the questions. You don't need to calculate what the time for each question is before hand. The instructions are very clear at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Flinchwhip

Do you need to do the tests in one sitting, or could you do one today one tomorrow and one the next day?

Flinchwhip wrote: »
    Do you need to do the tests in one sitting, or could you do one today one tomorrow and one the next day?

The instructions state that you do verbal first. Once it's completed and 19 minutes have passed it will automatically start the numerical test for 25 minutes and then onto the situational judgment which doesn't have a time limit.

All tests must be done in the one sitting unfortunately.

Anyone know what the required pass rate is for each test?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭timaru89

30 verbal, 18 numerical

dee75 wrote: »
    The instructions state that you do verbal first. Once it's completed and 19 minutes have passed it will automatically start the numerical test for 25 minutes and then onto the situational judgment which doesn't have a time limit.

Thanks for that. Presumed they could be done seperately until I read that. Was just about to try one

timaru89 wrote: »
    30 verbal, 18 numerical

Thanks thats all I was looking for so basically 19 minutes to do 30 verbal and 25 minutes to do 18, did anyone who has done the tests finish it without having to rush through it?

T automatically start the numerical test for 25 minutes and then onto the situational judgment which doesn't have a time limit.

Anyone know what the required pass rate is for each test?

How did you get on in the numerical? The examples given seemed pretty easy but am sure they will be anything but.

How did you get on in the numerical? The examples given seemed pretty easy but am sure they will be anything but.

I haven't done it yet. Setting aside some quiet time Sunday morning without kids around to give it a go!

Good luck to all

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mr_baynes

In the 2015 ap competition it was necessary to do verbal and numerical in the same sitting but the job scenarios were entirely separate and could be done at a later stage. Can someone confirm that this is definitely not the case on this occasion?
    In fact it specifically states in point E of the email containing login details that breaks can be taken between tests. Just want to confirm if you can logout following completion of verbal/ numerical and do job scenarios next day?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Dublinboard

I done verbal this morning and scarenios this evening. Numberical tomorrow.

I read the guideline and it said u can take a break. It did not define the duration of same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Took an hour + this evening to do the lot. It was tough going! Best of luck all. No idea how I'll do, just did it for experience! :D

Sorry! I must have completely misread the instructions. Apologies!

Here's reason for my confusion on manner in which test is to be carried out. Test instructions state:

"B. Once you have entered the system, your tests will be displayed. You must complete the Verbal test to release the Numerical test thereafter."

I read that as meaning I had to do all tests one after the other.

However the instructions state further down: -

"You may also take breaks between the Verbal test, Numerical test and Situational Judgement test if required."

Good luck!:)

• Advertisement

Hi dee
    All that means is that you must take numerical after verbal. It doesn't say immediately thereafter i.e. It does
    Not define a time period in which it numerical must be taken after verbal.

Point b does not actually mention anything about taking the numerical, it only says that the test will be released, i.e. Made avaialbe.

Hi dee
    All that means is that you must take numerical after verbal. It doesn't say immediately thereafter i.e. It does
    Not define a time period in which it numerical must be taken after verbal.

Point b does not actually mention anything about taking the numerical, it only says that the test will be released, i.e. Made avaialbe.

Thanks dublinboard. Good to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ficklepickle22

Is the CEB site for the tests crashing for anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 BL

The test website is down for maintenance until 1am tonight! I know its Saturday evening, but given the short window we have to do the tests (busy time of year etc) it is really poor form that a whole evening is lost. Shambles.:mad:

To anyone who has done it. How did you find it? Did you finish it all?

Quite straight forward. Didn't bother with practice test really as there is no need. Questions and text were fine

Just completed Verbal Reasoning and Numerical Analysis. Found Verbal absolutely fine. Thought I started well enough on Numerical, but it got very difficult towards the end and didn't get to last two questions. Not very hopeful :(

Going to try Situational now.

Anyone else find the numerical test hard to read? The typeface used and the graphs/tables I found difficult to make out.

tigger123 wrote: »
    Anyone else find the numerical test hard to read? The typeface used and the graphs/tables I found difficult to make out.

Ha Tigger123! And there was me thinking I needed to go for an eye test, because the typeface was quite blurry. Had to get quite close to the screen to read it properly. Happier knowing it was something wrong with the test itself!

Finished the Situational Judgment now - impossible to say how I've done. You choose what you think is right in the given situation - but it all depends on how they look on it!

Best of luck to anyone still left to do it. I'm glad it's over - I've never done anything like this before, so I suppose I won't be overly surprised if I don't meet the grade.

Now starts the waiting game for the results.........:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Ha Tigger123! And there was me thinking I needed to go for an eye test, because the typeface was quite blurry. Had to get quite close to the screen to read it properly. Happier knowing it was something wrong with the test itself!

Finished the Situational Judgment now - impossible to say how I've done. You choose what you think is right in the given situation - but it all depends on how they look on it!

Best of luck to anyone still left to do it. I'm glad it's over - I've never done anything like this before, so I suppose I won't be overly surprised if I don't meet the grade.

Now starts the waiting game for the results.........:rolleyes:

I thought the typeface and size was a real obstacle tbh. Especially when you're trying to scan around looking for information against the clock. Very frustrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ATTY

tigger123 wrote: »

I found it terrible for both verbal and numerical. It looked like when you take a screen shot of something and then try to enlarge it. Any time I have done this before the quality was far better. I also think the wording of some of the numerical test questions were poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 boysmomma

Hi guys, I'm thinking of applying for the EO exam, but I'm so bad at these types of tests! Are the numerical ones mainly testing reading of graphs/charts etc or are they more percentage and currency calculation type questions? I'm hearing that the application itself is quite detailed so I don't want to put loads of time into that if the numerical reasoning is going to be impossible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Is it just me or is anyone finding this easier than the AO exam?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Is it just me or is anyone finding this easier than the AO exam?

I found the Verbal and Aptitude Tests MUCH easier than the HEO ones from earlier in the year. I think the fact you didnt have to use tabs and go back and forth helped a great deal. I finished both of those sections this time around with time to spare.

I always fall down on the Job situation section. Hopefully this time I have answered them in the 'correct' way

Deadline for completed tests is now 9pm on Tuesday 20th December.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

gazzer wrote: »
    I found the Verbal and Aptitude Tests MUCH easier than the HEO ones from earlier in the year. I think the fact you didnt have to use tabs and go back and forth helped a great deal. I finished both of those sections this time around with time to spare.

I always fall down on the Job situation section. Hopefully this time I have answered them in the 'correct' way

Found myself running out of time for Numerical so just guessed the answers to the last two. I preferred the format of the Situational test for AP. For HEO you had to allocate 6 points across a number of possible actions; AP was much more straightforward.

I haven't a notion about how I will do, my first time trying for AP seeing as I know of some other EOs who made the jump in the last competition.
    It's good experience whatever the outcome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

System seems to be acting up in publicjobs.ie not recognising my log in details. Typical them time I give myself to do the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Cupra280

Just completed the three.

Good luck to everyone else.

Does anyone know, if you are one of the lucky ones to get offered an AP role, how long will an external candidate be given to finish up his/her existing employment?

I am employed in the legal sector and it would take a bit of time to disengage from my current job. Would it be a major problem if you needed 3 months before you could start?

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Just done & dusted. Best of luck everyone n Merry Crimbo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement