Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NEW 2016 Open and Interdepartmental Assistant Principal in Civil Service competition.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Rosiebeans81

dee75 wrote: »
    Can I ask what happened in your revenue interview?

I'm gonna stick in an application for this one and I have an interview with Revenue week after next for a solicitor role, and the only other interview I've done in the last decade was the recent AP one.

I'm not sure what other people think . In my experience the Revenue internal Interviews can be tough. It's like they are testing your muster. My EO inerview for revenue was tougher than the recent AP interview I thought.
    Q's can be very specific and direct don't know how else to describe it not many "nice general " ones thrown in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'm not sure what other people think . In my experience the Revenue internal Interviews can be tough. It's like they are testing your muster. My EO inerview for revenue was tougher than the recent AP interview I thought.
    Q's can be very specific and direct don't know how else to describe it not many "nice general " ones thrown in.

Seems to be the way with internal interviews in general.

They press you in specifics because they know the specifics of the role you are going for.

noodler wrote: »
    Seems to be the way with internal interviews in general.

They press you in specifics because they know the specifics of the role you are going for.

Suppose that makes perfect sense - makes the open comps a little more appealing !

• Registered Users Posts: 41 DeirdreDee

Noodler, you say most of those who passed Stage 2 will get an interview in the next year. I know some who were placed in the 600s after Stage 2. So let's say another 500 at least passed after the initial 200 who were called a few weeks ago. So you are saying most of the next 500 will be interviewed in the next year?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Can I ask what happened in your revenue interview?

I'm gonna stick in an application for this one and I have an interview with Revenue week after next for a solicitor role, and the only other interview I've done in the last decade was the recent AP one.

I had to give a presentation on various taxation policies and how they might be tailored to minimise loss to the exchequer/ increase general taxation. This was for a non-tax post- and I was quite honest and specific about my skillset- both in the examples I used- but also in the 'additional information' part where you can sell yourself. I did sit down with some guys from KPMG for a week- putting my presentation together, nonetheless- only to have it dismissed- and to be questioned on wholly unrelated areas.

This was for an IT post- specificially a SQL programmer / project manager post............

I still have nightmares of the day I spent in Dublin Castle. Got brought into an Excise presentation too..........

It very much was designed to flunk anyone who hadn't done their tax exams- wholly aside from what the post was that they were interviewing for.

One of the interviewers- a PO- did tell me afterwards that they were actually surprised I had acquited myself as well as I did- but that I didn't have the type of skillset they wanted in the Department.

As far as I know- they never did manage to fill that particular post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭dee75

I had to give a presentation on various taxation policies and how they might be tailored to minimise loss to the exchequer/ increase general taxation. This was for a non-tax post- and I was quite honest and specific about my skillset- both in the examples I used- but also in the 'additional information' part where you can sell yourself. I did sit down with some guys from KPMG for a week- putting my presentation together, nonetheless- only to have it dismissed- and to be questioned on wholly unrelated areas.

This was for an IT post- specificially a SQL programmer / project manager post............

I still have nightmares of the day I spent in Dublin Castle. Got brought into an Excise presentation too..........

It very much was designed to flunk anyone who hadn't done their tax exams- wholly aside from what the post was that they were interviewing for.

One of the interviewers- a PO- did tell me afterwards that they were actually surprised I had acquited myself as well as I did- but that I didn't have the type of skillset they wanted in the Department.

Jesus's, that sounds horrendous....

Can understand why you still have nightmares!!

I'll need to do some serious research about revenue prosecutions.

Thanks again.

I think the interview with revenue next week will be good practice in the event I get through the revenue AP shortlisting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

In fairness if they were looking for a SQL Programmer/PM person yet tailored a significant portion of the interview process around taxation and excise policy THEY were the ones who didn't have the type of skill set required in the department - if you ask me......

DeirdreDee wrote: »
    Noodler, you say most of those who passed Stage 2 will get an interview in the next year. I know some who were placed in the 600s after Stage 2. So let's say another 500 at least passed after the initial 200 who were called a few weeks ago. So you are saying most of the next 500 will be interviewed in the next year?

Heya.

No, I mean 3000 apply, 900 odd get past stage 1.

Of these, 205 called pass etray and exams (again) and the pass rate at interview seems to have been incredibly high. I know at least as high as 140.

So, maybe another 100 or so get called over and above the 205. Can't see much more than that - certainly not 500.

When is an interesting question, expect nearly all of the 140 ish who got on panel to be placed before they reassess.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Winterspring

Heya.

No, I mean 3000 apply, 900 odd get past stage 1.

Of these, 205 called pass etray and exams (again) and the pass rate at interview seems to have been incredibly high. I know at least as high as 140.

So, maybe another 100 or so get called over and above the 205. Can't see much more than that - certainly not 500.

When is an interesting question, expect nearly all of the 140 ish who got on panel to be placed before they reassess.
    I think they interviewed more people last week

• Advertisement

I think they interviewed more people last week

Above the 205? Jesus, shocked to hear that.

So soon I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭seamie78

Above the 205? Jesus, shocked to hear that.

So soon I mean.

they didn't call up anymore yet I am just outside the original 205 and have not heard anything as of yet

How many were interviewed last week? Will that mean that they will have to go to "clearance" now and the regional panels will be delayed?

How many were interviewed last week? Will that mean that they will have to go to "clearance" now and the regional panels will be delayed?

No reason it would have any impact on Clearance for the regional panels?
    Anyhow- were there actually any interviews last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ZolaGood

I can't see them interviewing more if they've placed 100 plus already and haven't started to appoint from it.

I am getting v impatient waiting on my regional placing..,what is this clearance procedure they are talking about?

ZolaGood wrote: »
    I can't see them interviewing more if they've placed 100 plus already and haven't started to appoint from it.

I am getting v impatient waiting on my regional placing..,what is this clearance procedure they are talking about?

Garda vetting and referees/references for external candidates, personnel and CMO for internal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭gics

Has anyone been on to them recently looking for the regional breakdown?

gics wrote: »
    Has anyone been on to them recently looking for the regional breakdown?

I emailed them Friday and got the same response that it could take up to 2 weeks-1 week after they last told me that!

I find they are sometimes more informative over the phone but don't want to ring yet:)

Zolagood, we've had a vote and we choose you to ring them!

Garda vetting and referees/references for external candidates, personnel and CMO for internal.

I'm sorry this is prob a stupid q esp from someone who is internal . What's CMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

central medical officer

• Advertisement

Chief.

Zolagood, we've had a vote and we choose you to ring them!

I'll give them til Wednesday ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 GenevaW

The interviews last week were for people who weren't free during the 2 weeks of interviews and had to reschedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Cornfield

GenevaW wrote: »

The interviews last week were for people who weren't free during the 2 weeks of interviews and had to reschedule.

Thanks. But if that is the case, then how could PAS have finalized the panel in its interview results?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭seamie78

was just about to ask the same question

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Confused1979

I rang last week and PAS told me that they wont be issuing regional panels - they are doing clearance at the moment which looks at the vacancies they have and the numbers for each location, but an actual panel will not be published for each location

• Registered Users Posts: 33 GenevaW

Cornfield wrote: »
    Thanks. But if that is the case, then how could PAS have finalized the panel in its interview results?

I think there's a doubling up of panel numbers - several people will get the same interview scores and will therefore share the same panel number.

"Once the panel has gone to clearance the clearance team will be able to clarify your position on the regions you have chosen. Please note this may take up to 2 weeks."

That's what PAS said the week before last.

Maybe we have to ask where we are rather than PAS send us all a message?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Steveie2017

For anyone interested...Publicjobs.ie just announced details for AP posts in the Policing Authority....

https://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/campaignAdvert/51657.htm?lang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Omnishambles99

I think PAS are doing the 1st secretary supplementary interviews this week? First 30-40 off the panel I'm guessing?

• Advertisement

Does anyone have any update about clearance? I had hoped it would commence a little sooner than two weeks from results. :/

I think PAS are doing the 1st secretary supplementary interviews this week? First 30-40 off the panel I'm guessing?

Yes. First secretary interviews are this week. I'm guessing first 30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Past30Now

I'm hearing that the next batch (i.e. 206+) are being called for interview, and the first 90 on the list are being processed and called up.

Past30Now wrote: »
    I'm hearing that the next batch (i.e. 206+) are being called for interview, and the first 90 on the list are being processed and called up.

Seriously? Wow!

As in, the first 90 who have come just through the interview are being processed already? (Of which I am one near the back of that pack!)

That would be great if they had 90 positions to fill already but from what I've read on previous posts I would have thought 10 positions a month would be the most?

Past30Now wrote: »

As in the next 90 are being called for interview or the first 90 on the panel are being processed/cleared?

They must be envisaging moving through the panel very quickly if they are calling the next batch to interview already ?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

To which the 1:1:1 ratio of Transfer:InterD:Open proportionality needs to be applied?

The Mrs has just resigned herself to not giving any of it another moments thought until such time as she gets contacted directly, if ever. I think she might have the right idea. This is a headwreck!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Steveie2017

Just off the phone to PAS and have been told that as this AP panel is not yet 'live' as there are currently rechecks of interview scores ongoing. The guy I spoke to also confirmed, categorically, that clearance has not commenced in respect of any of the candidates on the panel because of this. I asked about the release of information relating to regional panels and he advised that, unless there had been a change of policy, formal regional panels will not be put in place but that candidates could contact PAS to see where in the order of merit for a particular area but only once the main panel was live. He also confirmed that the majority of the positions to be offered first are in Dublin (which we already knew).

This is just so frustrating - all this different information, most of which seems to be contradictory! Why can't we just be told where we are in terms of our chosen locations or at least advise that rechecks are taking place which will delay the issuing of such information??? Frustrating to say the least to have come through this entire process and still be in a state of limbo as to your actual chances of being appointed from the panel.....rant over.

Just off the phone to PAS and have been told that as this AP panel is not yet 'live' as there are currently rechecks of interview scores ongoing. The guy I spoke to also confirmed, categorically, that clearance has not commenced in respect of any of the candidates on the panel because of this. I asked about the release of information relating to regional panels and he advised that, unless there had been a change of policy, formal regional panels will not be put in place but that candidates could contact PAS to see where in the order of merit for a particular area but only once the main panel was live. He also confirmed that the majority of the positions to be offered first are in Dublin (which we already knew).

This is just so frustrating - all this different information, most of which seems to be contradictory! Why can't we just be told where we are in terms of our chosen locations or at least advise that rechecks are taking place which will delay the issuing of such information??? Frustrating to say the least to have come through this entire process and still be in a state of limbo as to your actual chances of being appointed from the panel.....rant over.

Rechecks why? Are they gonna change the panel or something? They have already given out positions . Frustrating is an understatement! Half expecting a call now to say sorry about that we made a mistake your not on the panel at all!! As someone else said - This is a total head wreck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Past30Now

As in the next 90 are being called for interview or the first 90 on the panel are being processed/cleared?

As in 90 of the 140+ of the individuals placed on the panel are being processed.

I wonder does this recheck of interview marks tie in with the earlier posts re a mop up round of interviews? I'll lose my reason if my place on the panels change!! Unless it's to a higher position of course:)

I agree that it's wholly unfair that almost 2 after results have issued we still don't where we are at on each list. Also if they know that many of the jobs are Dublin initially they should be able to give those that have selected Dublin their place.

HEO results issued the same week as ours and my colleague knew by the Friday where he was placed on the regional panel he's interested in.

That's pretty much what I was told by phone also.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 GorSin

I haven't logged in for a few days so missed this. I must have phoned shortly after you and was told the same thing. Sounds like the only way you'll know your regional place is by ringing them. He said probably by the end of the month but maybe within two weeks they would be able to give out that information. A friend started a new AP role yesterday and heard there some discussion that there were 100 immediate vacancies for this panel. Great if you are Dublin- you could assume you will be offered a place by the sounds of it. So hard for the other counties to have to wait. It's more difficult now that it almost seems within grasp. I am getting so impatient with my current job.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭salomon

That's pretty much what I was told by phone also.

Did they give any explanation of the remarking? Is it following on from first sec & AP1

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CKanza123

Chap I spoke to this morning said only people who request a recheck get one but that panel places won't change. He also said appointments from the panel will start at the end of this month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

Yes. First secretary interviews are this week. I'm guessing first 30.

Presume the 'outcome' of these interviews is the creation of a DFA-specific panel from which they draw down candidates?

Sorry if this has been asked & answered before - but would being placed on the DFA list remove you from the AP list, or in some way give the DFA a priority call over a candidate?

Or would a candidate who passed muster for both but who was really after a DFA 1st Sec slot from the get-go be in the lap of the Gods as to who called on them first?

The two competitions are separate. Getting 1st Sec won't affect AP placing- it's in the 1st Sec handbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭duffer247

The two competitions are separate. Getting 1st Sec won't affect AP placing- it's in the 1st Sec handbook.

sorry can you clarify this, in effect does it mean you could be offered 1 or the other (assuming passed 1st sec interview) or even both?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Folks,

As far as I know this AP Panel doesn't begin until 1st May as the previous AP competitions Panel runs out on 30th April.

I think the way they're doing the regional posts is incredibly unfair due to the imbalance of jobs between Dublin and rest of country. Someone could finish first on the entire national panel and not get offered a job because they were limited to only two counties by the ridiculous system PAS decided to employ. Not letting people review and change their choices is also a terrible decision made by PAS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

duffer247 wrote: »
    sorry can you clarify this, in effect does it mean you could be offered 1 or the other (assuming passed 1st sec interview) or even both?

My understanding is that you can be offered both if you do well enough in each competition.

DFA use the competition to pick the best of the best to go forward for the First Sec jobs. It's up to the individual if they want to go forward for the job and if they accept it if successful. They don't have to go forward or accept the job if offered and this doesn't affect any AP offers that may come their way except for if they accept the First Sec post then I presume they won't be offered another AP post.

• Advertisement
Advertisement