Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NEW 2016 Open and Interdepartmental Assistant Principal in Civil Service competition.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 GorSin

I'm No 1 on a Regional Location panel in a county that has a high number of Civil Servants in it, and was told by the guy in PAS that has worked a couple of years in his job, that he never seen a single AP vacancy from that county, so I'm not buying the champers, if you know what I mean. 
    He also said offers were going out, but it could take a few weeks for them to cascade down the panel as a lot of paperwork had to be completed to sort everything out when placing each individual.
    Wonder is anything happening with First Sec panel?

The expected retirements this year might change that though. Fingers crossed for you.
    I rang and there was no-one in that section available- very nice guy took my name and number and said they would call me back. We've probably inundated them and they're in hiding!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Festy_O_Semtex

GorSin wrote: »
    I'm No 1 on a Regional Location panel in a county that has a high number of Civil Servants in it, and was told by the guy in PAS that has worked a couple of years in his job, that he never seen a single AP vacancy from that county, so I'm not buying the champers, if you know what I mean. 
    He also said offers were going out, but it could take a few weeks for them to cascade down the panel as a lot of paperwork had to be completed to sort everything out when placing each individual.
    Wonder is anything happening with First Sec panel?

The expected retirements this year might change that though.  Fingers crossed for you.
    I rang and there was no-one in that section available- very nice guy took my name and number and said they would call me back.  We've probably inundated them and they're in hiding!
    Thanks for your kind wishes, reckon they are demented with callers in PAS these days. if there was more transparency ,there mite b less calls and boards.ie thread might be retired, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3 shakedown79

apples12 wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone for your comments. I am an outsider on the open panel and this thread has been so informative. I'm No 15 on the open panel with Dublin as a preference. For your info they haven't got to me yet

Hi did you get called today?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 shakedown79

Is a dublin offer

How much notice were given? E.g. how soon you'd be starting?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 apples12

Hi did you get called today?

No offer yet

They called back and was told I may hear as soon as tomorrow. Will keep you posted

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Colourspring

Anyone get a call re the Interdepartmental panel yet, I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Winterspring

Is a dublin offer

How much notice were given? E.g. how soon you'd be starting?
    It didn't say. It just gave the department and said the department would be in touch with specifics so presume it is negotiable then depending on notice in current role etc

• Registered Users Posts: 29 GorSin

Some one phoned me back from PAS- very impressed.

I'm 4th for one of my regional locations and 1st for the other. The one I'm 4th for has two main govt departments so maybe a possibility. PAS guy didn't think anything would arise in the county I'm 1st for.

At least I know- but I won't be holding my breath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Disgruntled dsp

Congrats to all who remain in the process, I didn't make it past the interview. I'd say there will be a lot more retirements than anticipated at the start of this competition once the pay talks start on 22nd. It will make more sense for a lot of AP's to retire once changes are made to the level of contributions they will be required to make towards their pension if they were to stay.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Congrats to all who remain in the process, I didn't make it past the interview. I'd say there will be a lot more retirements than anticipated at the start of this competition once the pay talks start on 22nd. It will make more sense for a lot of AP's to retire once changes are made to the level of contributions they will be required to make towards their pension if they were to stay.

Not necessarily.
    The proposal is to make those who accrue full pension rights in under 40 years- pay more for their pension (which is common sense)- however, those who accrue under the 40 year rule are not to be effected. The proposal is also to break the linkage between pensioners are job holders- limiting any increases for pensioner to the rate of inflation or some other measure. Thus- for pre-existing APs- it makes sense to stay in situ as long as possible- until as many of the paycuts under FEMPI are unwound as possible and the situation regarding pension draw downs becomes clearer. Thus- if it takes 6-8 years to fully unwind FEMPI, and the current pay discussions result in an extension of Lansdowne Road rather than breaking any new ground- it makes sense for pre-existing officers to try and stay the duration if at all possible.

Also- keep in mind- the compulsary retirement at 65 is gone (though of course an officer can't accrue more than 40/80ths per year)- so if someone took any unpaid leave of any type earlier in their career- they'd be nuts not to make it up now.

I can't see an immediate rush to the door- other than through natural wastage (which will be at an elevated level anyhow- given the age profiles of those in the rank at present).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Thus- for pre-existing APs- it makes sense to stay in situ as long as possible- until as many of the paycuts under FEMPI are unwound as possible and the situation regarding pension draw downs becomes clearer.

Also- keep in mind- the compulsary retirement at 65 is gone (though of course an officer can't accrue more than 40/80ths per year)- so if someone took any unpaid leave of any type earlier in their career- they'd be nuts not to make it up now.

on the first point, people can retire on the pre-Fempi pay scales until the end fo this year

on the second, compulsary retirement at 65 is not gone...indeed a colleague had to retire last week who did not want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Luckyduck78

I think compulsory retirement at 65 remains for those civil servants who were recruited pre 1995.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I think compulsory retirement at 65 remains for those civil servants who were recruited pre 1995.

it covers more than them

The first change was only maybe 10 years ago where people recruited had no compulsary retirement age

then they changed it again after only a couple of years and put in a new compulsary retiement age of 70

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Dr Ed

I am one of those who is unlikely to get called for my region. I would happily take a Dublin position now but am not allowed to change my preference. Are there others in this position and would there be any way for us to put pressure on PAS to change their position on this? I know in the last AP competition that you had to chose two regions in addition to Dublin, surely we should get offered Dublin before they move on to the second tranche of candidates?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Steveie2017

Folks, just to let you know - I received my offer this morning! Thrilled beyond words!! I didn't select Dublin so its a regional offer. So to those that don't have Dublin selected - don't lose hope, there's obviously some AP vacancies in regional locations too and the offers being made now aren't just for Dublin.

On a personal note, I just want to say a huge, huge thank you to everyone on here - your advice, tips and support were invaluable throughout this process and was very much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭gics

Great news, congrats!!

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

Nicely done & congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Dr Ed

That is great new Stevie 2017. Did you get an offer in the region that you wanted the most?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭dee75

Folks, just to let you know - I received my offer this morning! Thrilled beyond words!! I didn't select Dublin so its a regional offer. So to those that don't have Dublin selected - don't lose hope, there's obviously some AP vacancies in regional locations too and the offers being made now aren't just for Dublin.

On a personal note, I just want to say a huge, huge thank you to everyone on here - your advice, tips and support were invaluable throughout this process and was very much appreciated!

That's fantastic news and congratulations!

I think you posted that you were around 21 on the open panel so they must have jumped ahead to you as you are number one for your chosen counties.

Can I ask what county you've been placed in as it might mean a lot to whoever is number 2 in that county to know the person ahead of them is already placed off the panel!

And if you could say what your other county was too as the number 2 in that county has just effectively gone to number 1?

Only if you feel.comfortable doing so of course!

Thanks so much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Rosiebeans81

Congrats and well done!! That's great news. And good news for those of us who only picked regional locations. Thanks for posting!

Dr Ed wrote: »
    That is great new Stevie 2017. Did you get an offer in the region that you wanted the most?

I did - I'm a HEO in Education in Offaly and really want to stay here if at all possible for family/travel reasons as well as work reasons. As well as Education, there's also a Public Exp & Reform office in Offaly so would have taken either. I've been extremely fortunate in that I've been offered Education in Offaly so I'm staying put here which I'm delighted about!

dee75 wrote: »

I think you posted that you were around 21 on the open panel so they must have jumped ahead to you as you are number one for your chosen counties.

Can I ask what county you've been placed in as it might mean a lot to whoever is number 2 in that county to know the person ahead of them is already placed off the panel!

And if you could say what your other county was too as the number 2 in that county has just effectively gone to number 1?

Thanks so much!

I don't mind at all! Yep I placed 21 on the open panel and was 1 for Offaly and 1 for Westmeath. I've been offered AP in Offaly (which I'll be accepting obvs!!) so whoever is no.2 for both those locations is now no.1! See, I'm sharing the love today! ;)

Getting extremely annoyed with this process. I've gotten through to a person 3 times yesterday and twice today and between getting cut off , no answer an promised a call back when I do get through its so frustrating . Why in gods name can't they just email the panel position and the regional position with a caveat that as they work through the panel the situation will change ! 😡😡😡😡On of my regional positions is my only hope of getting anything and I just want to be put out of my misery at this stage!

Getting extremely annoyed with this process. I've gotten through to a person 3 times yesterday and twice today and between getting cut off , no answer an promised a call back when I do get through its so frustrating . Why in gods name can't they just email the panel position and the regional position with a caveat that as they work through the panel the situation will change ! 😡😡😡😡On of my regional positions is my only hope of getting anything and I just want to be put out of my misery at this stage!

I think it was a guy called Dave or David in AP Clearance who I spoke with, if you want to try asking for him?

I don't mind at all! Yep I placed 21 on the open panel and was 1 for Offaly and 1 for Westmeath. I've been offered AP in Offaly (which I'll be accepting obvs!!) so whoever is no.2 for both those locations is now no.1! See, I'm sharing the love today! ;)

Cheers Stevie2017! And well done again. You must be absolutely delighted to get to stay where you want to stay!!

And thanks for sharing the info!

I think it was a guy called Dave or David in AP Clearance who I spoke with, if you want to try asking for him?

It's him that I keep asking for and they keep saying that he will call me back. Starting to wonder is there a reason he won't talk to me

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Confused1979

give him the benefit of the doubt - I think they are just crazy busy at the moment. If you email the AP recruitment email they will come back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭salomon

Just got a message to my publicjobs, seriously peed off when I saw it was an invite to Irish stream! Grrr

• Registered Users Posts: 24 shibbyj

Congratulations! The process actually works it seems! Any interview tips for those of us still to face the panel or has all the love been shared out...;)

• Advertisement

Thanks so much!

Steve, delighted for you, best of luck

salomon wrote: »
    Just got a message to my publicjobs, seriously peed off when I saw it was an invite to Irish stream! Grrr
    Ya, I got that too, my Irish is a decent standard but not sure it would suffice for this, I 'm pretty high on the panel so it might be a moot point anyway

Seems to be only open offers so far, from what I'm reading, any offers from interD?

Received an offer in Dublin today (I'm no 15 on open panel) but really disappointed that they wouldn't tell me what Department I'm in. More waiting....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Dr Ed wrote: »
    I am one of those who is unlikely to get called for my region. I would happily take a Dublin position now but am not allowed to change my preference. Are there others in this position and would there be any way for us to put pressure on PAS to change their position on this? I know in the last AP competition that you had to chose two regions in addition to Dublin, surely we should get offered Dublin before they move on to the second tranche of candidates?

Absolutely senseless from PAS especially considering some of the counties on the list won't have ANY AP vacancies during the lifetime of the Panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ZolaGood

salomon wrote: »
    Seems to be only open offers so far, from what I'm reading, any offers from interD?

I suppose anyone of those 20 or whatever people that got offers so far that are on both panels can be considered to be pulled from Inter D if that's where the post is due to. Not sure how it works with an open stream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

ZolaGood wrote: »
    I suppose anyone of those 20 or whatever people that got offers so far that are on both panels can be considered to be pulled from Inter D if that's where the post is due to. Not sure how it works with an open stream

Not necessarily. I was top 10 in the last competition, an existing civil servant, and was placed from the open competition.
    It depends on what panel the Department requests.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Confused1979

congrats to all those who received offers during the week. What number are we up to for
    Dublin on the interd or open?

congrats to all those who received offers during the week. What number are we up to for
    Dublin on the interd or open?

At least 15 according to posts here...wonder will that be it for a while or will they continue. When I spoke to PAS they said I'd probably hear about my Dublin offer in a month and I'm 80's open/40's Inter D

• Advertisement

Have any more regional jobs been offered? Other than Stevie

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Ecribbin

Received an offer in Dublin today (I'm no 15 on open panel) but really disappointed that they wouldn't tell me what Department I'm in. More waiting....

If they haven't even told you the department, what does the offer consist of? And what have they asked you to do in response?

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭spitonmedickie

Anyone able to give me the name/section to look for when I call PAS about this? Is it just one of the names on the publicjobs messages?

David in Clearance is the person to speak with as far as I know. I've been unable to get to speak with him so if you get through could you let us know? :)

If anyone gets through to AP clearance can they ask if they're going to update us all this week as per the last message or do they just want us all to call and email regularly? :D

Ecribbin wrote: »
    If they haven't even told you the department, what does the offer consist of? And what have they asked you to do in response?

They said I was being offered the position and my evetting will now commence but they cannot say where the vacancy is until I get a reference from the local authority that I work in. Got an email from them asking me to advise who will give me a reference and consenting to him dealing directly with PAS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Ecribbin

They said I was being offered the position and my evetting will now commence but they cannot say where the vacancy is until I get a reference from the local authority that I work in. Got an email from them asking me to advise who will give me a reference and consenting to him dealing directly with PAS

Thanks, still grappling with how strange it is to have no real idea of the job we've worked pretty hard to get.
    Congratulations btw, hopefully it's something you'll love.

I would say anyone not in the public sector probably thinks this is a mad process-applying for a job you have no idea of and then been offered it with still no idea of the job ....the foibles of the civil service :)

Thanks, still grappling with how strange it is to have no real idea of the job we've worked pretty hard to get.

Thanks, it's been a long tortuous process. At my current grade 17 years. Hopefully it will be worth the pain!

Thanks, it's been a long tortuous process. At my current grade 17 years. Hopefully it will be worth the pain!

Ditto 13 years...I'm ready for the move up so it can't come soon enough!

I've heard no 1 on my regional panel has been appointed so I've moved up a place already..happy days :)

ZolaGood wrote: »

Ditto 13 years...I'm ready for the move up so it can't come soon enough!

I've heard no 1 on my regional panel has been appointed so I've moved up a place already..happy days :)

Thanks great news. Will make it abit easier to make the decision when they offer you Dublin. How many more in front of you in your region?

• Advertisement
Advertisement