Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NEW 2016 Open and Interdepartmental Assistant Principal in Civil Service competition.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ZolaGood

I was no 4 so assume there are 2 now to be appointed ahead of me

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭gics

It's great to hear of movement in regional locations

• Registered Users Posts: 8 apples12

ZolaGood wrote: »
    Ditto 13 years...I'm ready for the move up so it can't come soon enough!

I've heard no 1 on my regional panel has been appointed so I've moved up a place already..happy days :)

Good for you, hope it all works out well for you 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Rosiebeans81

Did anyone hear anything about regional panels today?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 GorSin

Did anyone hear anything about regional panels today?

Did you not hear anything back today either Rosiebeans?

GorSin wrote: »
    Did you not hear anything back today either Rosiebeans?

Nope. They said he would definitely be back to me by COB Friday but still nothing. I'm gonna just leave it a bit and mabye call in a week or two,

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Confused1979

I keep telling myself it is now just a matter of when they contact me rather than if. I am staying very positive and optimistic!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Past30Now

I keep telling myself it is now just a matter of when they contact me rather than if. I am staying very positive and optimistic!!

Snap

They said six weeks 36 days ago. I'm looking forward to hearing from them next week "touch wood"

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭spitonmedickie

Similar to some other posters I've been contacted and asked to provide details of my current employer so they can check references. Once they get the reference back from them I'll be allocated a Department - who will then get in touch directly.

Early 30s in the open and this is for Dublin. Second on a regional panel so a bit of a conflict about whether I wait to see if that comes up but advice seems to be for career purposes (I'm an external candidate working in Dublin the private sector) I'd be better off getting a few years in Dublin under my belt if I'm in a position to.

Got my position on the regions I picked. Finally . I'm 3 for Tipp and 10 for Limerick. Dunno am I happy r not but happy to finally know!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭dee75

I never posted my counties last week when I got my regional ranking, so here they are!

I'm 11 for Kildare and 2 for Wexford.

I suppose I'm hoping that No. 1 for Wexford will either get placed soon or will get an offer for their other county!! ðŸ˜

Hopefully everyone keeps posting what they know or hear about regional spots being filled!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CKanza123

I managed to speak to David today. He said they're currently making offers to those who placed in the 30s on the Open.

Sounds like they're fairly flying through them.

CKanza123 wrote: »
    I managed to speak to David today. He said they're currently making offers to those who placed in the 30s on the Open.

Fingers crossed!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭dee75

CKanza123 wrote: »

Is that mostly Dublin placements (other than one in Offaly we know about here)?

Any other regional placements heard of yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

In these competitions if you're an existing civil servant does your current department get first refusal in keeping you and promoting you there (providing they've general sanction etc) or is it just whichever department is up next

Uriel. wrote: »
    In these competitions if you're an existing civil servant does your current department get first refusal in keeping you and promoting you there (providing they've general sanction etc) or is it just whichever department is up next

Oh interesting - would love to stay in my current dept. Interested if anyone has info on this

From my past experience if there is more than one job at the same time in the same location they will try & keep you in your current dept if that has a position available but if only one position has been sanctioned then it goes to the next on the list in that area regardless of dept. So very much luck of the draw

gics wrote: »
    From my past experience if there is more than one job at the same time in the same location they will try & keep you in your current dept if that has a position available but if only one position has been sanctioned then it goes to the next on the list in that area regardless of dept. So very much luck of the draw

So would you go to your AP/PO/ HR dept ? And tell them where you came on the panel and see if there is positions coming up is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭salomon

So would you go to your AP/PO/ HR dept ? And tell them where you came on the panel and see if there is positions coming up is it?

Do that but also email PAS

• Advertisement

Normally it's done automatically when PAS get the list of positions to fill & look at the candidate list. you could always let your PO know you are on the panel & your HR dept know but from what I know it very much depends on what order the vacancies are sanctioned. For example your HR might know a vacancy is coming up in your area of choice but if another dept gets sanction first for a AP they will have to go to the next person in that region on the list regardless of dept & you wouldn't be able to turn it down as you would then be removed from the region. Realistically what's the chances of two or more AP vacancies coming up in a regional location at the same time though.

Normally it's done automatically when PAS get the list of positions to fill & look at the candidate list. you could always let your PO know you are on the panel & your HR dept know but from what I know it very much depends on what order the vacancies are sanctioned. For example your HR might know a vacancy is coming up in your area of choice but if another dept gets sanction first for a AP they will have to go to the next person in that region on the list regardless of dept & you wouldn't be able to turn it down as you would then be removed from the region. Realistically what's the chances of two or more AP vacancies coming up in a regional location at the same time though.

True very unlikely scenario I suppose but might be worth saying on the off chance anyway.

It can't do any harm & I suppose if your HR dept know a position is coming up & they have someone on the panel it might push them to try & get sanction

• Registered Users Posts: 29 GorSin

Got my position on the regions I picked. Finally . I'm 3 for Tipp and 10 for Limerick. Dunno am I happy r not but happy to finally know!!

Great to finally know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Has anyone who didn't put Dublin down as a preference got an offer of Dublin or tried to get an offer for Dublin?

Has anyone in the top 30 got regional offers other than the one we know about for offaly?

• Advertisement

I would imagine at this stage they are looking at the order of merit for each location as vacancies arise.

I know some people said that applicants on the Heo panel were asked to consider Dublin but I have heard differently so I don't know if PAS will allow applicants to make changes to locations and if not then I don't see how they could offer Dublin to people who didn't select it but who knows! It is all early days yet.

I would imagine at this stage they are looking at the order of merit for each location as vacancies arise.

I know some people said that applicants on the Heo panel were asked to consider Dublin but I have heard differently so I don't know if PAS will allow applicants to make changes to locations and if not then I don't see how they could offer Dublin to people who didn't select it but who knows! It is all early days yet.

I know of someone on the last HEO panel who was asked "Would you consider changing your first preference to Dublin" . I asked PAS today if they would automatically move on to the next panel when they exhaust this one with Dublin offers but he wouldn't be drawn on it.

I know the first batch in the HEO panel the first batch of offers were timed together and then the people who had no vacancies in their selected location definitely got an email saying no current vacancies in their selected location but if they wanted to consider Dublin, Arklow or one other (can't remember) please contact PAS. I don't think they did it past the first batch though whatever that means

I know the first batch in the HEO panel the first batch of offers were timed together and then the people who had no vacancies in their selected location definitely got an email saying no current vacancies in their selected location but if they wanted to consider Dublin, Arklow or one other (can't remember) please contact PAS. I don't think they did it past the first batch though whatever that means

That might explain it, my friend wasn't in the first batch!!!

True very unlikely scenario I suppose but might be worth saying on the off chance anyway.

HR don't need to get DPER sanction anymore, it is their responsibility to manage their pay bill within their budget allocation so they could take 100 AO's rather than 30 AP's.

With regards to your own HR taking you, if you were happy to take Limerick for example and are no 11 for that region then the previous 10 people would need to be placed first i.e. Hr departments can't skip the queue to their EE. They can indicate that they are interested in keeping their own person but like I said the previous people on the panel would have to be placed first.

• Advertisement

I had assumed that you would still need to go in order of the panel and wait for your position to come up before your HR could do anything. But if they could indicate an interest in keeping you to PAS when your number came up (if it ever comes up!) it'd be great. With my position on both regions I'm not confident of anything coming up for me on either panel. Pity there is no way of finding out or guestimating the possible movement at different grades.

as far as I know they can indicate that they would be interested in keeping you.
    Yes, it is all a game of chance and trying to figure out the different options and permutations but so much of it all is unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ZolaGood

Has anyone in the top 30 got regional offers other than the one we know about for offaly?

I heard of a Laois offer.

With regard to remaining in your department definitely say it to HR your own PO and PAS...there are always deals to be done.

If you get the right person in PAS they might tell you if there are many requests in for a region which might give you a feel for your chances

My own HR got onto PAS and I emailed myself about staying, after the panel result was announced and below is what I got back from PAS

"I will note your request and forward it to the clearance unit,

However please note that there are no guarantees that we will be able to accommodate your request, as is standard procedure candidates are assigned according to order of merit - as vacancies arise"

• Registered Users Posts: 3 shakedown79

Hi everybody!
    Has anyone positioned higher than 15 in the Dublin open been offered yet?

Hi everybody!
    Has anyone positioned higher than 15 in the Dublin open been offered yet?

Think someone yesterday in the 30's got a Dublin offer

Anyone on here placed on the regional panel for Tipperary?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Unknowed

Does anyone know if you can request a different department than the one you're assigned?

The same answer would apply as if you requested to stay in would imagine. They will note it but positions are assigned according to the order of merit

The same answer would apply as if you requested to stay in would imagine. They will note it but positions are assigned according to the order of merit

I think they are slight more sympathetic to applications to stay

• Advertisement

Any offers today?? What number are we up to now? Any advance on 30??

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭spitonmedickie

Any ideas on how long it typically takes between going into clearance (looking for reference for current employer) and being allocated to a Department? Where does the Garda vetting fit in?

Any ideas on how long it typically takes between going into clearance (looking for reference for current employer) and being allocated to a Department? Where does the Garda vetting fit in?

I think it is at the clearance stage that they look for vetting. Don't know how long that takes, depends how many countries etc and how complicated you are! Once that comes back, you will agree a start date with your new department, taking account of notice you need to give etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mailspaining

I've gone back over the thread and see questions about regional opportunities etc so what I'm looking for might be a long shot...does any one have any idea how many APs are in cork? Is it mainly DSP and agri? Pretty high up the cork open panel but not sure if I should hold out or accept Dublin when it comes up. How hard is it to transfer in a few years?

There's Revenue in Blackpool. Fair few AP's not 100% sure how many. Must be 5 or 6 at least. There is CSO and also no clue what size.

There's Revenue in Blackpool. Fair few AP's not 100% sure how many. Must be 5 or 6 at least.

Not a huge number all things considered if I was expecting retirements etc to open up places

There is DFA ( Passport office) CSO , Revenue, DSP as far as I know. If there is Dept of Agri. Are the courts service civil service? Or the Personal injuries assessment Board? Justice Dpt?

Part of my problem is I don't entirely understand what is civil service and could be pulled off this panel and what isn't! Is there a list of bodies along with Depts that are civil service? I see revenue has their own competitions and there AP higher competitions too (and DFA's secretary comp). Do those departments have APs as well as people from those other comps?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

Similar question from me folks if you don't mind. I am early twenties on Open and was contacted by clearance for a Dublin (my 2nd choice) post on Monday. My first option is Kildare. I remember earlier in this thread Kildare mentioned as having a lot of departments (one of the biggest outside Dublin I think). I know Defence is in Newbridge, Agriculture in Celbridge/Leixlip - anything else that anyone knows - would folks expect to se APs from Kildare in your experience. I'm external so have no clue - appreciate the advice....

• Advertisement

I Wouldn't be as well qualified to answer that as a lot of people on here, I don't know where you'd find that list. Not sure hat you mean by AP's well as people from those other comps??

Advertisement