Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NEW 2016 Open and Interdepartmental Assistant Principal in Civil Service competition.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mailspaining

I Wouldn't be as well qualified to answer that as a lot of people on here, I don't know where you'd find that list. Not sure hat you mean by AP's well as people from those other comps??

Sorry for being unclear - meant are there APs such as those from this competition in departments that also have AP highers and in Revenue and DFA which seem to have their own comps.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Rosiebeans81

The Ap's for most depts will be Hired on the 1:1:1 one from the open competition panel one form the interdepartmental competition and one from their own internal competition in theory. And then there may be promotions also as far as I know, I have read that a lot of depts 'owe' the open competition so may not go exactly 1:1:1 if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭gics

If your at clearance stage for a Dublin position have you spoken to PAS about your position on your regional choices and they may be able to give you some indication of what depts are in the area and it's likelihood of coming up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭dee75

William72 wrote: »
    Similar question from me folks if you don't mind. I am early twenties on Open and was contacted by clearance for a Dublin (my 2nd choice) post on Monday. My first option is Kildare. I remember earlier in this thread Kildare mentioned as having a lot of departments (one of the biggest outside Dublin I think). I know Defence is in Newbridge, Agriculture in Celbridge/Leixlip - anything else that anyone knows - would folks expect to se APs from Kildare in your experience. I'm external so have no clue - appreciate the advice....

I don't know for sure except I was told it had a high number of departments. You must be pretty highly ranked for Kildare? I'm mid 80's on the open panel and that only got me No.11 for Kildare so it's certainly a popular one!

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

gics wrote: »
    If your at clearance stage for a Dublin position have you spoken to PAS about your position on your regional choices and they may be able to give you some indication of what depts are in the area and it's likelihood of coming up
    I have - they were a little cagey, felt like the guy did not want to say anything that sounded like a guarantee, which is fair enough - all he could say was that they have placed APs in Kildare before....

• Advertisement

I suppose that's understandable. You just have to weigh up how much of an inconvenience Dublin is against are you willing to wait and take your chance. If your high up in the region it might be worth taking the risk

• Registered Users Posts: 41 DeirdreDee

Dee and William - from talking to PAS recently, I understand it keeps one list. One order of merit. So for example, Dee, PAS has told you you are 11th for Kildare. The next AP position that comes up there might be for a department that has to fill it from the Open competition. It is possible (but not likely) that all of the 10 above you are Civil Servants so they would be passed over and you'd be in. It's likely that a handful of the 10 ahead of you will be civil servants but it's important to know that you won't have to wait until 10 are appointed ahead of you. And indeed, some of the other 10 will take jobs in Dublin first (or other locations) so you'll be moving up the list before you know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭spitonmedickie

Linked to recent questions, does anyone have any insights on how easy or difficult it can be to get transferred from Dublin at a later date?

I'm confused I thought a serving civil servant could be taken from the open list aswell as long as they are next in line? I thought the serving civil servant could be pulled from the interdepartmental or the open were the external candidate could only be pulled from the open?

With regards to a transfer later I understand alot of people take jobs on that basis, do their three years in the location then look for a move. At present it can be difficult to get moved at any grade in the civil service but there is a new mobility scheme set to go live later this year no idea what it involves or what impact it will have but I would think it could only be positive

• Advertisement

Gics, of course you are right. My hypothesis would only ring true if any civil servants in the top 10 didn't tick "Open" and applied for the InterDepartmental only. And that wouldn't be many!

Oh right sorry I misunderstood

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

On the other hand - if you do manage to get to #1 in your region and you are external, you may not get the next offer if the department are looking for inter-departmental or internal right?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Luckyduck78

That is true.

Yes that's my understanding of it

They should do a raffle instead.

It's so confusing - They should offer a degree course in understanding it

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭luckyboy

There's Revenue in Blackpool. Fair few AP's not 100% sure how many. Must be 5 or 6 at least. There is CSO and also no clue what size.

Excluding Large Cases Division's Cork base, which probably has 5/6 APs itself, there are 18 Cork-based AP posts in Revenue's South West Region. So there are probably 23/24 Cork-based Revenue APs serving at any given time ...

luckyboy wrote: »
    Excluding Large Cases Division's Cork base, which probably has 5/6 APs itself, there are 18 Cork-based AP posts in Revenue's South West Region. So there are probably 23/24 Cork-based Revenue APs serving at any given time ...

Wow didn't realise there was that many.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

Anyone hear has there been any movement on 1st secretary side of things?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sodacake1968

In agri there's one AP who covers munster- not based in Cork. In dsp there are about 20 based in cork but with a young age profile.
    Re: transfers
    It gets harder as you go higher. Very hard to get out of Dublin. Some departments are reluctant to agree to transfer as you cannot look for a replacement until the vacancy occurs leading to a possible suppression of the post

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Winterspring

In agri there's one AP who covers munster- not based in Cork. In dsp there are about 20 based in cork but with a young age profile.
    Re: transfers
    It gets harder as you go higher. Very hard to get out of Dublin. Some departments are reluctant to agree to transfer as you cannot look for a replacement until the vacancy occurs leading to a possible suppression of the post
    The passport office in Cork has one AP role

FYI folks, open panel AP in Dublin is now at the high forties based on contact my wife received. She was given no info on her regional placings - she didn't ask apparently; just happy to have a vetting/reference checking process started...

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Confused1979

that's great - they are really flying through them. Fingers crossed for a phonecall soon!
    Current job depressing me more than normal!!

That's great news for anyone willing to go to Dublin. Congrats

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭salomon

Redderneck wrote: »
    FYI folks, open panel AP in Dublin is now at the high forties based on contact my wife received. She was given no info on her regional placings - she didn't ask apparently; just happy to have a vetting/reference checking process started...

Do we have any idea on inter D?

gics wrote: »
    That's great news for anyone willing to go to Dublin. Congrats

She needs to get onto them now regarding her Regional placings and then she has a call to make.

Numbers to be crunched etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Murraymint81

Can I just ask how many were placed in the first batch (approx) for interD and open comp? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Past30Now

Can I just ask how many were placed in the first batch (approx) for interD and open comp? Thanks

I heard of mid 140's in the open, which was out of 205 interviewed, which seems high.

Don't know about interdepartmental list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Festy_O_Semtex

Folks,

In the 40's on Open and got my call today. Happy enough, finished No 1 for my Regional Choice, a West of Ireland county, but no luck there, still its a new challenge, onwards and upwards, Best of Luck to everyone here, its been a long road, for some us 2 years since June 2015 comp started.

I presume No2 was Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭dee75

Folks,

In the 40's on Open and got my call today. Happy enough, finished No 1 for my Regional Choice, a West of Ireland county, but no luck there, still its a new challenge, onwards and upwards, Best of Luck to everyone here, its been a long road, for some us 2 years since June 2015 comp started.

Congratulations and well done!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Festy_O_Semtex

Yes, indeed it was, 
    I presume No2 was Dublin
    Best of luck to you Confused

Yes, indeed it was, 

Best of luck to you Confused

Congrats on the offer and I hope the job is good to you! It is indeed a long road

Folks,

Congrats and well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Are there still interviews going on or has the panel been finalised and its just a waiting game for everyone who pannelled?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Uriel. wrote: »
    Are there still interviews going on or has the panel been finalised and its just a waiting game for everyone who pannelled?

They just recently called a new batch for final interview later this month

however, not sure if they'll call any further for first stage

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CKanza123

Any advance on high 40s guys? Anyone got an offer today?

Also, has anyone been offered Sligo?

I'm 6th on the Sligo list but told I'll definitely be offered Dublin first by the chap in PAS.

Did the man in PAS give any indication when you are likely to get the Dublin offer? I would love to know how many current vacancies there are for Dublin, how many are ahead of me etc... - I have accepted that a regional offer is not going to come in my direction.
    Hard to get motivated in my current job at the minute, I feel as if I have one foot out the door.

I heard there were a hundred Dublin vacancies at the time this panel was formed.

• Advertisement

I'm early 90s on Open and 50s on Interdept and was told that I'd be called definitely within 6 months but probably much quicker.

CKanza123 wrote: »
    I'm early 90s on Open and 50s on Interdept and was told that I'd be called definitely within 6 months but probably much quicker.

Was that by Pas? And for Dublin I assume is it?

Yes, the clearance team in PAS. For Dublin vacancies.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 RubyCalypso

Folks, for those of ye who have been successful in your interviews, would ye like to give those of us who are being interviewed next week any ideas as to the kinds of questions ye were asked?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 evenmymom

I found my interview was entirely based on my form. They didnt stray from it too much if at all. I wasnt asked about any other gov depts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭spitonmedickie

Folks, for those of ye who have been successful in your interviews, would ye like to give those of us who are being interviewed next week any ideas as to the kinds of questions ye were asked?

Can't really recall the specific questions. Opening question for me was a general "talk us through your career" type one but think you need to use your answer there to hit on the competencies and how you've developed them over your career and that you have them at a sufficient level.

Was made clear which interview board member was dealing with which competency but wouldn't over think that as they do seem to bleed into one another. From my experience as an interview board member everyone is going to give their opinion on whether each competency was shown anyway.

Have 2 good examples for each competency and be clear what YOU did and how YOU contributed.

Based on replies here some people seem to have been asked "gotcha" type questions about politics, reform, their opinion on things. I didn't get any of those. It was very much about the competencies though one board member in particular was challenging about how my example demonstrated the competency in particular and my specific contribution.

Good luck!

My Mrs. would echo that. Wasn't asked anything tricky/nasty. Stick with competencies and have more than one example ready to go. She felt that the interview process was inordinately more civilised & straightforward than the sort of shenanigans you'd frequently encounter in the private sector. As an open candidate she wasn't really quizzed on any existing knowledge of PS. That may be different for internal candidates.

Her overall read on it versus previous private sector interviews was that it felt more like a chance to sell herself and less like her only chance to avoid an execution. Very positive. It's also a damn sight shorter than most private sector interviews would be - where if things get wrapped up in under an hour the chances are you're toast. That did throw her a bit in the aftermath, but it's apparently just the way these things go. No harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ZolaGood

Up to 40's in just over a week is some going...wonder how long that pace will continue? I am watching my regional location like a hawk to see what happens there...like Confused I have one foot out the door and am so pee'd off in my current role :/

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Colourspring

Feeling the same way...with one foot out the door. 😂

Am in the 40's Inter and 70's on the Open and would just love to know the Where and the When!!

Same here and PAS told me within 2 or 3 weeks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement