Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NEW 2016 Open and Interdepartmental Assistant Principal in Civil Service competition.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Did well in the numerical scoring 65, 53 in the verbal and didn't pass the situational at 25:(

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Cupra280

Well, that's the icing on cake from the (already) week from Hell.

Verbal - 54/80 - Qualifying score - 42/80,
    Numerical 61/80 - Qualifying score - 40/80,

Situational Judgement - 35/80, Qualifying score 40/80.

Looks like they tweaked what they were looking for in the Situational Judgement, given that I'm not long out of the Assessment Centre from the last competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 BL

Glad to get through but honestly can't believe there is another round of these nonsense tests! I believe I am qualified for the job and I just want the chance to go before an interview board and demonstrate that by reference to my actual qualifications and experience! Feel bad for anyone who didn't get through, especially those already in the Civil Service whose only route to promotion is through a bloody maths test.....Rant over :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

billyhead wrote: »
    Did well in the numerical scoring 65, 53 in the verbal and didn't pass the situational at 25:(

52 (Verbal), 76 (Numerical) and 51 (Situational) - and outside the cutoff....... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24 BL

PS - does anybody know what the ** an "etray exercise" is??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

52 (Verbal), 76 (Numerical) and 51 (Situational) - and outside the cutoff....... :(

How are you outside the cutoff with those marks?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Flinchwhip

Last time round the etray exercise had you head up a translating service in govt. dept. Various tasks come at you while you draft a briefing document on how to improve the overall service.

Flinchwhip wrote: »
    Last time round the etray exercise had you head up a translating service in govt. dept. Various tasks come at you while you draft a briefing document on how to improve the overall service.

Privatise it :pac:

tigger123 wrote: »
    How are you outside the cutoff with those marks?

Numerical isn't counted- and the verbal and situational weren't high enough to bring me under the 1047 :(

Numerical isn't counted- and the verbal and situational weren't high enough to bring me under the 1047 :(

You're not on the interdepartmental? You're on the Open?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Amazing numerical score - almost 100%! I was in mid 50s. 69 on verbal and only 48 on Situational.

You're not on the interdepartmental? You're on the Open?

Both- and I'm placed over the 712 they intend to call on the interdepartmental too........

I'm pleased with my results in many ways- but unhappy that despite doing remarkably well in one section- its not counted at all towards my final score.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭salomon

73 on verbal
    51 numerical
    And 41 on situational (but that part was done in 9 mins as time was running out on library computer)

Am amazed I got through the maths one to be honest.

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Amazing numerical score - almost 100%! I was in mid 50s. 69 on verbal and only 48 on Situational.

I guessed at least a quarter of them- but worked my way through the lot- and was convinced I did disasterously.

Funnily enough- I was really pleased with the situational- but ended up with only 51.......... Verbal- was 'meh'- neither good nor bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭jets

Both- and I'm placed over the 712 they intend to call on the interdepartmental too........

I'm pleased with my results in many ways- but unhappy that despite doing remarkably well in one section- its not counted at all towards my final score.

I'm in the same boat and a little bit annoyed that the numerical weren't included when it said nothing in the booklet about not including it and it seems it was just decided for some reason after the exams. I did a few practice rounds and I dare say I wouldn't have wasted time practising numerical reasoning if I knew you only needed the bare 40.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭johnboyire

what are the odds of them calling people beyond 1047 this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

johnboyire wrote: »
    what are the odds of them calling people beyond 1047 this year?

I imagine they will call beyond that. I got placed 1002 for the Interdeparmental. They are calling the first 712 to Stage 2. I suspect they will call beyond that number later in the year though.

jets wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat and a little bit annoyed that the numerical weren't included when it said nothing in the booklet about not including it and it seems it was just decided for some reason after the exams. I did a few practice rounds and I dare say I wouldn't have wasted time practising numerical reasoning if I knew you only needed the bare 40.

It wasn't a surprise that they didn't include it- they haven't used numerical- other than as a pass/fail- in any competition over the past 25 years.......... Originally the argument was that it was an equality measure- as men are perceived to be better at numeracy than women- however, those days are over- far more women do honours maths these days- than do guys.

gazzer wrote: »
    I imagine they will call beyond that. I got placed 1002 for the Interdeparmental. They are calling the first 712 to Stage 2. I suspect they will call beyond that number later in the year though.

I hope so- but amn't going to expect anything.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭jets

It wasn't a surprise that they didn't include it- they haven't used numerical- other than as a pass/fail- in any competition over the past 25 years.......... Originally the argument was that it was an equality measure- as men are perceived to be better at numeracy than women- however, those days are over- far more women do honours maths these days- than do guys.

good to know, thats the first time I did one of those so I wasn't aware of the back round. I'll know the next time :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Did you apply for the HEO in IT jobs?

billyhead wrote: »
    Did you apply for the HEO in IT jobs?

Yes- hopefully I can redo the tests- that they don't carry these.......
    Don't think very many applied for the HEO ICT posts (then again- the requirements were set quite high)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭c_meth

It has always vexed me how the Numerical is not fully taken into consideration in these scenarios.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭dee75

Holy Fleck!

I passed the numerical! I can't believe it!! Actually got 48/80 which has astonished me, as I've never done one of these before and found it pretty tough - I didn't even get to guess the last two questions as I was so slow going through it.

Overall have been placed just outside top 100.

Now just have to figure out what an e-tray test is....

Can I ask, with the second round of tests, do you just have to pass the Numerical test again and your score isn't used in your overall ranking?

My heart is going like the clappers here, just need to knuckle down now and put in some preparation for the second round.

Sorry to those of you who didn't make the first cut-off, but hopefully you will be called later in the year.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭eoinola

Like in Stage 1 the score for the numerical assessment in Stage 2 is not counted when determining your place on the list. But you do have to pass it again to qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Flinchwhip

Yes you just need to pass again, as well as passing etray, verbal and situational.

dee75 wrote: »
    Holy Fleck!

I passed the numerical! I can't believe it!! Actually got 48/80 which has astonished me, as I've never done one of these before and found it pretty tough - I didn't even get to guess the last two questions as I was so slow going through it.

Overall have been placed just outside top 100.

Now just have to figure out what an e-tray test is....

Can I ask, with the second round of tests, do you just have to pass the Numerical test again and your score isn't used in your overall ranking?

My heart is going like the clappers here, just need to knuckle down now and put in some preparation for the second round.

Sorry to those of you who didn't make the first cut-off, but hopefully you will be called later in the year.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

Got 61 in the verbal but flunked the numerical (no surprise) and the situational judgement. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ZolaGood

I came about midways on both -did worst in my numerical which I expected as it was difficult. I am just glad to get through but dreading etray as I failed it in November when I thought I did great on it so I am at a loss to see how I can improve :(

well done to all who got through and don't give up hope if you are outside the 1047/712 qualifying mark as I was last time and got called a year later:)

• Advertisement

There's something strange going on here; my result for the interdepartmental is 712, and 1047 for the open competition. If other people are quoting the same result ... ???

There's something strange going on here; my result for the interdepartmental is 712, and 1047 for the open competition. If other people are quoting the same result ... ???

They are the numbers from each panel they are calling to stage 2. Look at your messages again id say you are within them with your results;)

ZolaGood wrote: »
    They are the numbers from each panel they are calling to stage 2. Look at your messages again id say you are within them with your results;)

It tells me on both of them that I'm (as an individual) 712th, and 1047th in the order of merit.

?????

It tells me on both of them that I'm (as an individual) 712th, and 1047th in the order of merit.

?????

Well that appears to mean you are the last person being called to stage 2 in this first tranche :)

?????

Lucky bugger....... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭seamie78

A lot of people will have got the same results and therefore the same placing

• Advertisement

Lucky bugger....... :)

Skin of my teeth so! I honestly thought it was a glitch in the system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 Saracen11

Do you think it is likely they will call another batch beyond this? I know they did last time but they only called 400ish in the first batch.

Saracen11 wrote: »
    Do you think it is likely they will call another batch beyond this? I know they did last time but they only called 400ish in the first batch.

I don't think anyone can really say whether this is likely, or not.
    Personnel Departments normally do a tally of definite retirements- and possible retirements in January and again in June. If the tally come June is higher than anticipated- its probable. The issue with the last competition- is there was still an overhang from the recruitment embargo- so its not a good idea to use it as a comparitor for whats likely to happen this time round........

Is the format different for this competition?

Last time around did they only do the etray the same day as the interview?

dee75 wrote: »
    Is the format different for this competition?

Last time around did they only do the etray the same day as the interview?

Last time round it was only done at the interview stage.
    Over 4 times more candidates were knocked out by the e-tray than by the interview though- so it was decided to bring it back to an earlier stage- which means they won't be interviewing people who get knocked out by another mechanism on the same day........

I.e. if you get through round 2 (repeat of round 1 + the etray) your likelyhood of ending up on the final panel after the interview- while not assured, is a hell of a lot more likely than it might otherwise have been..........

Stage 2 thus- is taking the pressure off the interview stage somewhat (from PAS's perspective)- but obviously involves a lot more for candidates, than in previous competitions.

• Advertisement

Thanks Conductor

That makes sense alright to change it around. Very disappointing for candidates to get through stage 2 AND interview only to find out they didn't pass the etray.

It will be a tough day in Dublin doing second round of tests as well as etray.

It would be great to think that getting as far the interview really gives you a great shot at getting onto the final panel.

For anyone who has done the etray before, would you have any helpful feedback on it?

Also, anyone willing or able to speculate how many roles might arise? And any chance at all roles might be in Kildare or Wexford which were my two locations? I know these are crystal ball questions but I can hope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭relax carry on

62 verbal
    48 numerical
    56 situational

High 200's inter d and mid 400's open. Amazed as always I passed the numerical. Not looking forward to doing it again and and etray what ever that is. Hard luck to all those who haven't got in yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 paulie_irl

if you were outside the 1047 by a tad....are you out of the process or is there still hope :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭VONSHIRACH

Verbal 60
    Num 55
    Situational 48

Just too low in the situational.....................just <100 out of the 1047 called.

Only practise enough num to pass comfortably as not rankable. Practising verbal definitely works as I answered all the questions, which I didn't do in previous AO.

Hard to do these tests outside of the weekend due to work. I spent a whole weekend doing the app form for this also.

I will aim to do better in the EO, although there will be the usual multitude doing these.

If there are people on same score and same rank, doesn't it mean that there are more than 1,047 people actually called?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

Was convinced I'd flunked the maths, my weakest subject by a distance. Score ? 40 :)

Previous time I'd scored 39 in the maths at stage 2, was seriously peed off about that. Had scored well in the other two as well, 68 on verbal and 63 on situational. This time got 59 in both. Bit disappointing, but I suppose the main things was to get through.

Really find the maths tough though. I just can't process those problems quickly enough. Has sod all relevance to the actual world of the Civil Service too in my experience. I've worked with figures and stats on spreadsheets and never had a problem. In most places as an AP I'd say it's far more relevant to be able to read and process information quickly, and to have good judgment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Beebie

Passed both Interdepartmental and Open but outside the range of first Batch being called.
    Amazed I got through at all with Maths being so tough, so happy with results.
    Was outside Batch 1 on last AP exams also but was called a year later to 2nd round,
    I know this may not happen this time but the door is still open, somewhat :-)

Beebie wrote: »
    Passed both Interdepartmental and Open but outside the range of first Batch being called.
    Amazed I got through at all with Maths being so tough, so happy with results.
    Was outside Batch 1 on last AP exams also but was called a year later to 2nd round,
    I know this may not happen this time but the door is still open, somewhat :-)

Ok, how many were in that batch 1 last time?

ZolaGood wrote: »
    I came about midways on both -did worst in my numerical which I expected as it was difficult. I am just glad to get through but dreading etray as I failed it in November when I thought I did great on it so I am at a loss to see how I can improve :(

well done to all who got through and don't give up hope if you are outside the 1047/712 qualifying mark as I was last time and got called a year later:)

Do you recall the cut off rank?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 DeirdreDee

Last time round it was only done at the interview stage. Over 4 times more candidates were knocked out by the e-tray than by the interview though- so it was decided to bring it back to an earlier stage- which means they won't be interviewing people who get knocked out by another mechanism on the same day........

Conductor - do you know how many failed the e-tray the last time? I'd love to know. I thought it was very tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭GusherING

I got placed in top 300 for the open competition. Is the stage two assessment done during normal working hours or will it be an evening or weekend event? Never been in a competition like this before so all very new to me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement