Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NEW 2016 Open and Interdepartmental Assistant Principal in Civil Service competition.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭CP30

Batch 3 results are out. I got top 20 so very happy.

Now to spend the next 12 months wondering if I'll get offered a job!

Hope everyone waiting on results is happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ZolaGood

CP30 wrote: »
    Batch 3 results are out. I got top 20 so very happy.

Now to spend the next 12 months wondering if I'll get offered a job!

Hope everyone waiting on results is happy.

Well done -if you have Dublin down you will get a job :)

ZolaGood wrote: »
    Well done -if you have Dublin down you will get a job :)

Agh thanks, yeah I only have Dublin down so fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 NoNamesWork

Well done CP30, I'm sure PAS anticipate cracking the top 20 at least if they called a batch with 13 months left on the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lmh79

Anyone know how many are on the batch 3 panel in total?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Imp123

I haven't heard of anyone outside the Top 20 so far...

I know someone who is late 60s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Mid teens here. What are the odds of a posting in Mayo in the life of this panel considering there's two batches ahead of me?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Newfoundland88

Early 40's in Batch 3. I suppose we need to know how high batch 2 goes before we can even start to hope they will pull from Batch 3...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Early 40's in Batch 3. I suppose we need to know how high batch 2 goes before we can even start to hope they will pull from Batch 3...

They’ll deffo pull from Batch 3, they wouldn’t have carried out interviews 13 months before the panel expires if they didn’t feel they’d be pulling on it sooner rather than later.

Most Depts seem to have internal AP panels in place now which will slow things down a little.

• Advertisement

Are we currently at late 50's Batch 2?

Are we currently at late 50's Batch 2?

This day last week we were late 50’s Batch 2. No idea if it’s moved on since then. A quick call to PAS would clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Murraymint81

Mid teens here. What are the odds of a posting in Mayo in the life of this panel considering there's two batches ahead of me?

Depends how many are in front of you, I’m waiting on panels in northwest (I’m batch 2) and they seem to be moving. Contact PAS in a couple of weeks and they should be able to tell you where you are on Mayo panel

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Gaffer78

I am aware of someone in batch 3 who was placed in high 90s

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Maybenever

Hello all, first time poster here.

I'm not in the civil service and never have been but applied and placed in the late 60s on the list.

Can someone explain what is going on with "batches" and how they work in terms of allocations and the likelihood of me being offered a position? I only put down two specific locations outside of Dublin, how limiting a factor is that?

Sorry, I am totally in the dark, all I know is that I'm on the panel. Don't really know anyone in the civil service to ask.

So the order of merit decides in what order candidates are to be called for interview. So say the top 100 on the OOM were called first and 60 were panelled, they'd be classed as batch 1. Then if the next 100 were called and say 50 panelled, those 50 would be classed as batch 2. This is done because while there still may be people on batch 1 waiting to be offered provincial locations, that particular batch may be exhausted for Dublin, so they'd need to move to batch 2 for those vacancies.

The locations that you choose would be a limiting factor, as some counties will have much less departments present than others and consequentially less AP vacancies arising.

Thanks for the reply, but..

So my message for the interview call up says "AP 2016 Call up Batch 1.2". There was noting noted in the stage 3 results message and nothing in the vetting message. This process is completely alien to me, I feel like everyone is talking a different language :)

The locations were Wexford and Waterford.

are you sure it didn't say, "Subject: AP 2016- Stage 3- Batch 2"?

Nope. These were the titles;

Assistant Principal Open Stage 3 result (I refer to your recent Interview in connection with Stage 3 of the selection process for the above mentioned competition. I am pleased to inform you that you have reached the qualifying standard and have been placed XXX on the order of merit)
    AP 2016 Call up Batch 1.2 (I am pleased to inform you that based on your performance at Stage 2 you are being invited to attend Interview as part of the next stage of the selection process for the above mentioned campaign)

• Advertisement

When was your interview Maybenever?

what's relevant is the batch that you are placed in following your interview at stage 3 of the process. It should be clear from the message notifying you of your interview result as to what batch you are in.

Honestly Gaffer, it's not. I've posted the text from it above. Thanks anyway.

My interview was in May and I got the results in June, Imp.

edit: Looking back through the stage 2 results it may be that I was in the second group to be called?

Maybenever wrote: »
    Honestly Gaffer, it's not. I've posted the text from it above. Thanks anyway.

My interview was in May and I got the results in June, Imp.

Then you're in what everyone here is referring to as Batch 2.

And they are now in the 50s on that batch so you are in the ballpark but as you are a regional location it's hard to know - you should give PAS a call.

Thanks! This isn't exactly crystal clear, is it?

I interviewed for the PO this week too. There was a balls up in the tests for that.... so no clue how that is going to work out. My interview went better I thought, given the experience of the AP one.

• Advertisement

Thanks! This isn't exactly crystal clear, is it?

I interviewed for the PO this week too. There was a balls up in the tests for that.... so no clue how that is going to work out. My interview went better I thought, given the experience of the AP one.

Ring PAS and ask them where you are on the regional panels, they’ll let you know.

Will do, you are all very nice

Will do, you are all very nice

You’re deffo Batch 2 by the way. People are being placed from Batch 2 at the moment. If you placed in the 60s and had Dublin down you’d be literally about to be offered a place.

Would be interested to know where you are on regional panels.

Just rang them. 2 ahead of me in Wexford and 3 in Waterford.

Given there's almost 13 months left on this panel I'd say your chances of being called are quite good Maybenever.

• Advertisement

Good to hear, thanks. And thanks for the advice everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sodacake1968

What was the balls up in the PO

They messed up the Critical Analysis scoring, was invited to Stage 3 upon review. There were a good few invited (four days of tests and interviews, 6 per day). They didn't give any more detail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

Estimates for the size of batch 2 range from 125 to 150. I would think that it is no higher than 150 (haven't read anyone on here since June stating that they were higher than the low 100s in batch 2). That is of course not to say that there are people in batch 2 north of 150.

Aa other posters said, it wouldnt make sense to do a batch 3 at this stage (13 months out from panel end) if they were not going to call a very significant amount of people from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sodacake1968

Are there separate panels for each batch or do they amalgamate the batches for all locations

My understanding is that there are two panels (open and interdepartmental) and until all candidates for a region have been offered from a batch (either from open or interdepartmental) only then will they move onto the next batch to place candidates for that region.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 GorSin

ZolaGood wrote: »
    I was a batch one person who turned down 2 Dublin offers and finally got my regional assignment this evening-staying in my own office so I am delighted and immensely relieved :) good luck to all those waiting on regional panels -keep the hope!

That's great to hear. Still waiting on a regional offer from batch one. Haven't los the faith yet.

Congratulations and good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Newfoundland88

Spoke to PAS today. Total of 125 in Batch 2 panel and they are midway through it. Batch 3 will be waiting a couple of months to be pulled from.

Spoke to PAS today as well and was told that they had reached 78 on batch 2. Was surprised at the progress..

Wow that is a jump, good stuff :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭maupat

Hi All,

Just wondering if there will be an Open and Interdepartmental Assistant Principal competition for 2017 anytime soon?

Or do all batches have to be assigned before there is another competition?

This panel is open till Oct 31st 2018 so I imagine the next competition will be set up to coincide with the end of that.

This panel is open till Oct 31st 2018 so I imagine the next competition will be set up to coincide with the end of that.

A poster on here previously (based on the timelines of the current competition and previous competition) said a new comp would mostly likely be announced in Spring 2018. That would make sense given the time it takes to hold stages 1 and 2 and interview the first batch.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 GenevaW

Killer K wrote: »
    Spoke to PAS today as well and was told that they had reached 78 on batch 2. Was surprised at the progress..

I rang earlier and was told they’re still in the late 60s :( Has anyone been given a Dublin number?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 LucyLou2017

I rang this afternoon and was told they are in the mid 80's!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 GenevaW

I rang this afternoon and was told they are in the mid 80's!!!

Oh I hope whoever you were talking to is right!! :D

It seems to vary depending on who you get through to in PAS!

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

Little birdie tells me that DFAT have begun to make noises about making appointments from the first batch Open Competition. So I guess that means there will be some happy people who held out and resisted signing up to AP offers from other Departments plus also likely to be some newly appointed APs who are going to be given the option of bailing out of the roles they've only just begun to bed into.

That latter scenario must be a proper headwreck for their POs and indeed for their teams/colleagues.

Can they do that?!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

It was a dual First Sec DFAT & AP Civil Service Open Competition; and knowledgeable posters earlier on this thread mentioned that it was possible. If you put your hat into the ring for both, then test results/interview outcomes see you ranked and potentially panelled for both.

I understand it's not something that can happen from an interdepartmental or internal competition. If you accept an Internal or Interdepartmental AP role, then that would be that. But if you were an Open candidate, it's possible to accept an AP role; start in the job and still be 'live' for the life of the DFAT panel.

If I'm giving a wrong steer on this someone will put me straight quickly no doubt. This thread is a cracking resource, especially for those not familiar with the ins and outs of the civil service.

Advertisement