Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NEW 2016 Open and Interdepartmental Assistant Principal in Civil Service competition.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Can they do that?!!

They did that before. Took a fair few who'd only started in the likes of Justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 NoNamesWork

Great, sure that'd free up some more AP posts for the rest of us!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

Just called and was told they are up to 88 for Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭CP30

Well for a batch 3 person like me that's good news re DFAT.

I would of thought most who got AP would of accepted it if the location was right and not turned it down waiting on the AP higher one so this might give another jump up through batch 2 heading for batch 3.

Also if they are at 88 for Dublin out of what 125 for batch 2 total surely at least half of the remains batch 2 have outside Dublin only. I wonder can PAS give out that sort of info?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Maybenever

How do you know what civil servants are where? i.e. how many current APs are in the regions and where?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sodacake1968

Surely if someone has accepted a post off the Open panel already they would automatically be excluded from any DFAT positions available? Also, what are the rules governing those that have taken up AP roles that were offered under the Interd/internal panels? Do they remain on the Open panels?

DFAT competition is a separate competition, it just happens to be run with the open/inter AP to make better use of resources. I think DSP ran their internal AP competition at the same too. 3 different competitions but all run together, panels are separate and individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Greyk

Surely if someone has accepted a post off the Open panel already they would automatically be excluded from any DFAT positions available? Also, what are the rules governing those that have taken up AP roles that were offered under the Interd/internal panels? Do they remain on the Open panels?

I gather that, even if you've taken up AP, they can call you up for 1st Sec. At least, that is the approach that they took with the 2015 AP/1st Sec competition. So don't think anyone except those highly ranked in batch 1 can get called.

If you ticked the 1st Sec box, you are called to reinterview with DFAT but it is a pass/fail interview. If successful, your ranking order stays the same as on the AP list (but without the people who didn't tick 1st Sec or failed the DFAT interview), no matter what your degree of relevant international experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

I see DFAT are getting increased funding of 23 million to 'grow our global footprint for overseas staff'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Mama lion

CP30 wrote: »
    Also if they are at 88 for Dublin out of what 125 for batch 2 total surely at least half of the remains batch 2 have outside Dublin only. I wonder can PAS give out that sort of info?
    Where are we getting figure of 125 in Batch 2? I have heard of others higher then this.

Mama lion wrote: »
    Where are we getting figure of 125 in Batch 2? I have heard of others higher then this.

This came from a poster who said the 125 figure was given to them by PAS.

In relation to the ratio between Dublin and other regions, I was told that the vast majority have Dublin down as one of their options so the estimated figure of half about would be well off.

How high do you think batch 2 goes based on your info Mama lion?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Newfoundland88

Mama lion wrote: »

Yes, that's what I was told by PAS. 125. Maybe that was just the ID panel and not the Open?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Anyone ring them today to see what number they’ve got down to?

Anyone ring them today to see what number they’ve got down to?

Still at 88.

Its been STUCK at 88 for a day and a half now, the whole thing is falling apart!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 LucyLou2017

Does anyone know if they take people off the panel in batches or is it generally one by one? Trying to gauge the expected timeframe - I'm mid 90's for Dublin on the open.

Does anyone know if they take people off the panel in batches or is it generally one by one? Trying to gauge the expected timeframe - I'm mid 90's for Dublin on the open.

From the information on here Lucy, it appears that things happen in small bursts of activity. That might be because PAS wait to have a number of requests in together or because of the way we get intermittent updates on here from either people getting offers or one of us ringing! So in order words, I don't know but maybe somebody else does!

Thanks for all the info. I'm getting really nervous now about the prospect! I suppose it's the fear of the unknown - maybe I will wait until I'm offered something and go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Newfoundland88

Thanks for all the info. I'm getting really nervous now about the prospect! I suppose it's the fear of the unknown - maybe I will wait until I'm offered something and go from there.

Nerve-wracking! Don't forget to keep us in the loop when you do get the call!

• Advertisement

I'm taking a bit of a jump (EO to AP) so it's all getting daunting! Will keep you informed!

I'm taking a bit of a jump (EO to AP) so it's all getting daunting! Will keep you informed!

You have been through a rigorous merit based application process which you successfully demonstrated the competencies required. Don't forget that piece!

Yeah I think I'm just a little freaked that's it's creeping up on me!! sure look, I will give it a bash and just believe in myself!

Whose turn is it to ring today? :-)

Killer K wrote: »
    Whose turn is it to ring today? :-)

Ha ha!

Hopefully someone will!

I rang earlier today and was told based on being in the top 20 for batch 3 it would be the new year before I hear anything and nothing is guaranteed.

Re batch 2 they wouldn't give me a number of where they are at with it just that they were over halfway through it.

Its been STUCK at 88 for a day and a half now, the whole thing is falling apart!!!!!!!

Further delays anticipated due to ex-Hurricane Ophelia!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Mod

Thumb taxed don't post in this thread again

Everyone else please get back on topic

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

mod

Thread locked for review

• Advertisement

Mod

Reopened with a pile of posts deleted

Keep on topic please.

Anyone rang for an update in last few days?

Anyone ring today?

Anyone rang for an update in last few days?

Anyone ring today?

I contacted PAS yesterday morning - they were still at late 80s.

Guess PAS took a week off this competition so!

I think I've just accepted that the earliest I can hope for is in the new year, well into the new year

It was flying there for a while, guess it couldn't keep going at that pace for too long. The existence of a batch 3 has stopped me worrying anyway and I'm happy enough that a Batch 2 Dublin offer is on the way at some point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 MelShock

First time poster. This thread has been great for info purposes. Late 90s and they doing vetting and reference checks now on me. Got a call yesterday. Once that complete they told me i get assignment in few days.

MelShock wrote: »
    First time poster. This thread has been great for info purposes. Late 90s and they doing vetting and reference checks now on me. Got a call yesterday. Once that complete they told me i get assignment in few days.

Congrats melshock, delighted for you!

If ur late 90s things have moved again! What's the total for batch 2 panel again?

CP30 wrote: »
    Congrats melshock, delighted for you!

If ur late 90s things have moved again! What's the total for batch 2 panel again?

Not sure - think somebody said 125?

I'm mid 90's and got my assignment yesterday - apparently the Department will be in touch with me shortly with a location, start date etc.

I'm mid 90's and got my assignment yesterday - apparently the Department will be in touch with me shortly with a location, start date etc.

Congrats. Hope you happy with dept

• Advertisement

Thanks..its a big Department with lots of locations so i could be doing anything/going anywhere which is a bit frightening..was hoping to find out today!! You should hear next week yourself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 jonnyha

I'm in batch 1. 60s for interdepartmental and early 100s for Open. I put down two locations in the West.

Just got an email today asking if I'm still interested in First Secretary. I don't think I am but it goes to show that this AP panel will keep moving along for everyone (unless you're in my two counties!). I hope this is good news for some.

Congrats Lucylou and MelShock.

CP30, don't think you will be waiting that long into the new year if you are even waiting for the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭passinginterest

Appointed from interdepartmental. Staying in my Department. I was mid 60s late 90s on open.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 GenevaW

Appointed from interdepartmental. Staying in my Department. I was mid 60s late 90s on open.

I’m the same numbers and have also been assigned to a department through the interdepartmental stream this week so I’m delighted! :)

Good luck to everyone still awaiting assignment, this thread has been a fantastic help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

Low 100s here and have been assigned.Due to the nature of the work vetting is expected to take 2-3 months but I'm happy enough about that!

Congrats all who have had good news this week. Does anybody know what sort of notice period we will be given?

How did folk get the news? Was it a text to tell you to log into your publicjobs account or was it by e-mail or phone?

How did folk get the news? Was it a text to tell you to log into your publicjobs account or was it by e-mail or phone?

I got a message on Thursday to log into my public jobs account. The message on my message board told me I am being assigned to a particular department and the HR Division of that Dept would contact me shortluly with details of my assignment - location, start date, etc. I havent heard anything further to date.

I received a phone call and followup email as they needed additional info re reference. But I am coming from private sector. I have not received official email with assignment yet. Assume that be through publicjobs once they check reference and get garda vetting back

• Advertisement
Advertisement