Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NEW 2016 Open and Interdepartmental Assistant Principal in Civil Service competition.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 NoNamesWork

Are APs paid monthly or fortnightly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Are APs paid monthly or fortnightly?

Fortnightly. Every second Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Cupra280

How did folk get the news? Was it a text to tell you to log into your publicjobs account or was it by e-mail or phone?

What range are you in Bobby?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Poppy2017

Hi there, I'm in batch 3, just wondering if you only put down regional locations does PAS still offer you a Dublin location if they get to your place? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

Poppy2017 wrote: »
    Hi there, I'm in batch 3, just wondering if you only put down regional locations does PAS still offer you a Dublin location if they get to your place? Thanks

Hi Poppy.They will only consider you for the regions you indicated on your application form.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭CP30

So anyone ring today?!?

CP30 wrote: »
    So anyone ring today?!?

I am mid 100s and haven't heard anything yet. I will post when I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Gaffer78

can anyone give a general flavour of which departments have been assigning candidates from this panel

Gaffer78 wrote: »
    can anyone give a general flavour of which departments have been assigning candidates from this panel

Can’t think of a Govt Dept that won’t be pulling from the competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 blackcherry

Hi, long time follower but first time poster on this thread. Firstly, thanks to everyone on this thread (especially bobbysands81) it has been a lifeline for those of us who are new to the civil service recruitment process.

I'm late 70's on Batch 2 and similar to MelShock I received a phone call and followup email requesting permission to contact references and the link to online garda vetting. No details of department assignment yet. Does anyone know roughly how long the clearance process takes and what is involved other than the references and evetting?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Newfoundland88

Hi Killer. Do you mean between 100-125 in Batch 2?

I mean between 100 and 110 in batch 2.

Killer K wrote: »
    I mean between 100 and 110 in batch 2.

Thanks! Got a fright there, still hoping Batch 2 just goes to 125. Won't be long for you now mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sodacake1968

How many were/are on batch 1.

Thanks! Got a fright there, still hoping Batch 2 just goes to 125. Won't be long for you now mate!

No, not long at all. Waiting for an unknown landline number to appear on my phone.

I would be very surprised if batch 2 goes higher than 125.

Total in batch 1 was around 150 Sodacake

• Advertisement

No, not long at all. Waiting for an unknown landline number to appear on my phone.

I would be very surprised if batch 2 goes higher than 125.

Total in batch 1 was around 150 Sodacake
    Further to that does anyone know what way things are going in the regions. Are there many people left on batches 1 and 2

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Zoolujookie

Further to that does anyone know what way things are going in the regions. Are there many people left on batches 1 and 2

Am top 10 batch 2 open and inter. No sign of regional placing 😟.hoping for a miracle!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Omnishambles99

jonnyha wrote: »
    I'm in batch 1. 60s for interdepartmental and early 100s for Open. I put down two locations in the West.

Just got an email today asking if I'm still interested in First Secretary. I don't think I am but it goes to show that this AP panel will keep moving along for everyone (unless you're in my two counties!). I hope this is good news for some.

Hi , that's interesting ... I'm assuming then that PAS/DFAT have exhausted all those panellled for First sec in the first tranche - I believe they panelled something like 25 odd for that ? Anyone know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Rosiebeans81

From 1st Batch early 100's waiting on Tipp or Limerick still.

Hi, long time follower but first time poster on this thread. Firstly, thanks to everyone on this thread (especially bobbysands81) it has been a lifeline for those of us who are new to the civil service recruitment process.

I'm late 70's on Batch 2 and similar to MelShock I received a phone call and followup email requesting permission to contact references and the link to online garda vetting. No details of department assignment yet. Does anyone know roughly how long the clearance process takes and what is involved other than the references and evetting?

Hi blackcherry, the length of this process seems to vary based on the contents of previous posts on here. It can take longer if you are self employed for example. When did you get the email and complete the link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 MelShock

I was told about 2 weeks!

Have we any information on the amount of appointments made to date in Dublin and the regions. There doesn't seem to be a whole pile of transparency

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Gaffer78

Have we any information on the amount of appointments made to date in Dublin and the regions. There doesn't seem to be a whole pile of transparency

Individuals are only entitled to know their own position on the panel for the various locations that they have selected when they ring over the phone. If you wanted to obtain a breakdown of what number of positions were offered to each regions/location/department you would have to do this by way of an FOI request. Alternatively, if you are a member of a public services union they may have already sought this information and could provide you with same.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Imp123

Hi folks. I'm in Top 20 on Batch 3 and I rang this morning to see when I might be called. They said the vacancies have slowed down a bit so it will probably be the New Year before I hear anything - with a slim possibility of being called before then. Very helpful guy - he said it's hard to be predict which is understandable.

Imp123 wrote: »
    Hi folks. I'm in Top 20 on Batch 3 and I rang this morning to see when I might be called. They said the vacancies have slowed down a bit so it will probably be the New Year before I hear anything - with a slim possibility of being called before then. Very helpful guy - he said it's hard to be predict which is understandable.

EVERY time I’ve rang I’ve been told things are slowing down.

So far things haven’t slowed at all.

To back that up with a stat - the Panel has moved about 50 places in last 4/5 weeks.

Imp123 wrote: »

Yes they said the same to me earlier this week. Would be great to have an offer in time for Xmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭eoinola

I was appointed AP in June but just got a message as well about the 1st Sec Post and was I still interested in going forward with the process. I got back to them and said I was.

Anyone any information of the what the interview consists of?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 29 GorSin

I am in batch 1- regional locations.
    There has been some movement. I was no 4 for one of my locations and I'm now no 1. There was only one position so far though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

eoinola wrote: »
    I was appointed AP in June but just got a message as well about the 1st Sec Post and was I still interested in going forward with the process. I got back to them and said I was.

Anyone any information of the what the interview consists of?

thanks

I think some it focusses more on the role of Firts Sec and the role of DFA abroad around Trade, Aid etc.

Hi Killer K,

I got the call two weeks ago. I'm coming from the public sector (but not Civil Service)

• Advertisement

EVERY time I’ve rang I’ve been told things are slowing down.

So far things haven’t slowed at all.

To back that up with a stat - the Panel has moved about 50 places in last 4/5 weeks.

Yes, PAS are clearly trying to manage expectations. Easier for them to pleasantly surprise people getting to their place in the panel quicker than the previously indicated than the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 GreenGate

Hi new to Boards. I'm in top 60, batch 3 and selected Dublin and another county. What do you think the chances are of getting an offer? I'm not in civil service so could anyone give me an example of a posting? How are others already posted finding their new job? Especially if new to civil service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

GreenGate wrote: »
    Hi new to Boards. I'm in top 60, batch 3 and selected Dublin and another county. What do you think the chances are of getting an offer? I'm not in civil service so could anyone give me an example of a posting? How are others already posted finding their new job? Especially if new to civil service.

You'll be placed next year. At a guesstimate late Q2ish.

Ill let recent appointees give you their experience with regard to AP postings, but in a general sense AP posting vary considerably from one to another. Depends considerably on the Department you're in and even with in Departments postings vary greatly. You could expect heavy policy postings - lots of research, analysis, stakeholder engagement, forward planning.

You could be in a highly operational posting which will be about managing and reviewing processes or putting new ones on place, monitoring performance (not just staff) etc.

Most postings would probably have some element of both with a greater focus on one or the other. Then there's legal work, parliamentary matters, comms etc. It's very very varied across the CS

Hi Killer K,

I got the call two weeks ago. I'm coming from the public sector (but not Civil Service)

Any word on your posting since blackcherry?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Ecribbin

Anyone who got the message a couple of weeks ago to ask if they were still interested in FS, any news or updates?
    I wrote back saying yes and nothing since, including no acknowledgement which always makes me anxious.

Hi Killer K

I received a message on Friday to say I've been assigned to the Dept of Health but no further details yet.

I have spent the entire weekend googling... :)

Got a phone call this morning from PAS saying they have reached my place on the order of merit.

Well done Killer K

Hi Killer K

I received a message on Friday to say I've been assigned to the Dept of Health but no further details yet.

Health are soon to be moving to new premises on Baggot Street.

• Advertisement

Got a phone call this morning from PAS saying they have reached my place on the order of merit.

Great news! What was ur Approx number again?

Edit - I checked back and found it thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 LucyLou2017

Well done Killer K and BlackCherry..hope you are both happy with your assignments.

Fantastic news! Thanks for letting the thread know. They really are getting through the numbers at a ferocious pace!!

Fantastic news! Thanks for letting the thread know. They really are getting through the numbers at a ferocious pace!!

Congrats. Killer K

Hi Killer K

Congrats. Interested to know how long before they get in contact with the details. Would you keep us updated?
    Well done again.

I certainly will MelShock. Reckon it will be 2 weeks at least based on others experience.

Will be keeping an eye on the thread anyway to see the progress to the end of batch 2 and through batch 3.

Thanks to all who have posted on here so far. As this is a long process with lots of waiting and uncertainty, updates and information on here have been fantastic. I think everyone on here also agrees that Bobbysands' analysis and knowledge is A1.

• Advertisement

A bit more movement!

The appointments train has trundled down to about 110 now!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Poppy2017

Best of luck Killer K!!!!!! Hopefully batch 3 will soon get moving!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

A bit more movement!

and the PO panel hasn't even started yet which will create a few more vacanices

A bit more movement!

Congrats bobby!

A bit more movement!

Big congrats.

• Advertisement
Advertisement