Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NEW 2016 Open and Interdepartmental Assistant Principal in Civil Service competition.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Maybenever

Still no movement in the regions I've selected (three or four weeks).

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Poppy2017

Maybenever wrote: »
    Still no movement in the regions I've selected (three or four weeks).

Have we any idea how many people from Batches 1 and 2 still waiting on regional assignments? It seems really slow in the regions!

Poppy2017 wrote: »
    Have we any idea how many people from Batches 1 and 2 still waiting on regional assignments? It seems really slow in the regions!

There are/will be very few vacancies in regional locations. Not only the vast majority of civil service jobs are in Dublin, but a lot of ppl from Dublin want to transfer to regional locations. And yes there supposed to be a sequence of filling the regional vacancies between recruitment, promotions, transfers and mobility, but how transparent is the process...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

There are/will be very few vacancies in regional locations. Not only the vast majority of civil service jobs are in Dublin, but a lot of ppl from Dublin want to transfer to regional locations. And yes there supposed to be a sequence of filling the regional vacancies between recruitment, promotions, transfers and mobility, but how transparent is the process...

Given the mobility scheme coming into placement next year I wonder will folk take a posting in Dublin with a view to moving down the country? Vacancies will have to be filled from the mobility lists in the first instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Sheep_Lover

Given the mobility scheme coming into placement next year I wonder will folk take a posting in Dublin with a view to moving down the country? Vacancies will have to be filled from the mobility lists in the first instance.

My understanding is that you are tied to the two locations you selected in your application so such a possibility would only apply to those applicants who selected Dublin as a location in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Gaffer78

under that mobility scheme anyone appointed would have to spend a minimum of 2 years in Dublin before being eligible for a move under mobility so effectively its no different to the central transfer system already in place, timewise.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 NoNamesWork

A bit more movement!

The appointments train has trundled down to about 110 now!

Have there been any appointments since bobby last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 harrupminute

Have there been any appointments since bobby last week?

I'm in the 110s, will post here when I get word but nothing yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Gaffer78 wrote: »
    under that mobility scheme anyone appointed would have to spend a minimum of 2 years in Dublin before being eligible for a move under mobility so effectively its no different to the central transfer system already in place, timewise.

It should allow for FAR more flexibility and movement between regions and Departments. If it works it’s going to be amazing for staff all around the country.

All vacancies will be filled from the mobility panel first thus allowing huge amounts of transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Purple13

Thank you to everyone for all the useful information on this post.
    I am an external applicant placed in the third batch. Does anybody know if you can request a department of preference? Or is this frowned on/likely to put you down to the bottom of the list. Are there rules around this?
    Thanks to everyone for their generosity on this thread. It has been really helpful for an outsider like me.

• Advertisement

Generally no you can't specify a Dept but you can ask PAS alright as don't think you would have anything to lose, if it is a big Dept you want they may have more vacancies than smaller ones so PAS might accommodate you, that said once you are assigned to a Department you can move around though you may have to serve a couple of years first and it can be difficult to move Departments, sometimes its like arranging a swap with someone else and having both HRs agree to it etc., - hopefully new mobility scheme will help ! I'm in my 3rd Department now and they have all been interesting in their own ways !!

For info guys. Got my call today so they are still getting though batch 2 but batch 3 doesnt seem far off judging by the number projections. Havent posted much here myself but like some have said big thanks to bobby, killer k and others for keeping it alive. Was a great source of info all along the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Jaggo

For info guys. Got my call today so they are still getting though batch 2 but batch 3 doesnt seem far off judging by the number projections. Havent posted much here myself but like some have said big thanks to bobby, killer k and others for keeping it alive. Was a great source of info all along the process.

Hi Harrupminute, congrates and best of luck with the new job.

What is the time frame for your appointment? I am shortly after you, but I have a mountain of work to get done before I can leave my current job.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Bouncybouncy

As a matter of interest can you say roughly what position you were on the panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Purple13

Poppy2017 wrote: »
    Generally no you can't specify a Dept but you can ask PAS alright as don't think you would have anything to lose, if it is a big Dept you want they may have more vacancies than smaller ones so PAS might accommodate you, that said once you are assigned to a Department you can move around though you may have to serve a couple of years first and it can be difficult to move Departments, sometimes its like arranging a swap with someone else and having both HRs agree to it etc., - hopefully new mobility scheme will help ! I'm in my 3rd Department now and they have all been interesting in their own ways !!

Thanks Poppy, this is really useful.

I'm in the early 120 and haven't got the assignment yet.. I reckon it's close though..

• Registered Users Posts: 9 MelShock

Just an FYI for those going through the process - it took 3 weeks from initial call from PAS to say they reached my place on panel to agreeing a start date with my assigned dept. As coming from private sector that included vetting, reference checks etc. Not bad. Just working out my notice now in current job.

Congrats to all that have got assignments in past few weeks. Thanks to bobbyandsands and killer k for keeping us updated.

Jaggo wrote: »
    Hi Harrupminute, congrates and best of luck with the new job.

What is the time frame for your appointment? I am shortly after you, but I have a mountain of work to get done before I can leave my current job.

Im in the CS already so its a bit more straightforward. My call was to tell me where i was assigned rather than to tell me vetting was happeneing. I got my notification and assignment all in the one call.

Im in the CS already so its a bit more straightforward. My call was to tell me where i was assigned rather than to tell me vetting was happeneing. I got my notification and assignment all in the one call.

Timeframe id say after xmas but theres probably leeway either way. Not sure how this works for external appointees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Mama lion

Anyone left in batch 2 say aye

Aye!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Newfoundland88

Mama lion wrote: »

Aye!

Do you have Dublin down as a choice MamaLion or are you holding out for regional?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sonjac

I called on Friday and they are at 119

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭roe_cat

Sonjac wrote: »
    I called on Friday and they are at 119

I'm 119 - no word yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭CP30

roe_cat wrote: »
    I'm 119 - no word yet!

Hopefully you’ll get a call today!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sonjac

roe_cat wrote: »
    I'm 119 - no word yet!

Give them a ring...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 NoNamesWork

I'm earlier than 119 and have selected Dublin but have no offer yet.

Aye!

Do you have Dublin down as a choice MamaLion or are you holding out for regional?

Just Dublin

Aye!

Just Dublin

Just Dublin

Yikes! Aren't you mid 60's inter d? I am getting totally confused now???

Yikes! Aren't you mid 60's inter d? I am getting totally confused now???

What’s the total number for the inter d batch 2 panel?

• Advertisement

CP30 wrote: »
    What’s the total number for the inter d batch 2 panel?

I was told by PAS that it was 125. I think there is confusion from posters regarding the InterD and the Open panels. Unless you are an existing CS, I completely understand how people are becoming confused!!

For our Open, non Civil Servant friends on this thread, there are 2 separate panels and existing Civil Servants are placed on both.

Does that not seem odd that the open and inter d are nearly the same. I would of thought the inter d would be a lot less cause otherwise it means nearly everyone on the entire batch are existing civil servants.

Does that not seem odd that the open and inter d are nearly the same. I would of thought the inter d would be a lot less cause otherwise it means nearly everyone on the entire batch are existing civil servants.

There is a difference of just over 20 places between my InterD and Open results. Guess this difference is why some posters are saying certain numbers have been reached, it must be the Open they are talking about?

Yes, when I called Monday last week they were around 110 which was the open panel.

The distance between my open and inter D is less than 5.

I’ll ring today and see where both panels are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

Yes, when I called Monday last week they were around 110 which was the open panel.

The distance between my open and inter D is less than 5.

I’ll ring today and see where both panels are.

Hi CP, I would estimate that 1/3 of batch 2 are open only (external to cs) and the other 2/3 being exisitng CS who are also in the open comp.

From previous experience on different info from PAS, I would think that the figure of 119 is an open figure and it is where they have gotten to in terms of requests in from depts. Not necessarily who has been contacted as of yet. But it means that those who haven't been contacted yet up to 119 will be very soon.

PAS seem to do the contacting of successful applicants in batches.

Killer K wrote: »
    Hi CP, I would estimate that 1/3 of batch 2 are open only (external to cs) and the other 2/3 being exisitng CS who are also in the open comp.

From previous experience on different info from PAS, I would think that the figure of 119 is an open figure and it is where they have gotten to in terms of requests in from depts. Not necessarily who has been contacted as of yet. But it means that those who haven't been contacted yet up to 119 will be very soon.

Thanks, yeah that makes sense all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 BL

Killer K wrote: »

This is exactly right. I rang this morning and was told they are at 119 on the Open panel and somewhere in the 90's on the interdepartmental panel. There are seven people left on the open panel and five left on the interdepartmental. So it looks like batch 2 will be cleared quite soon for Dublin.

She did mention that things will probably be slow in December. I am just outside the Top 10 in batch 3 Open, just inside the Top 10 interdepartmental, and was told it would most likely be the new year before I'm called.

A colleague of mine got in touch there and said he got through this morning and was told there is less than 8 positions to fill from the open and less than 6 on the inter batch 2 panel.

Edit: BL we must of been posting at the same time good to see our info matches!

We have the poor girl tormented!

BL wrote: »
    This is exactly right. I rang this morning and was told they are at 119 on the Open panel and somewhere in the 90's on the interdepartmental panel. There are seven people left on the open panel and five left on the interdepartmental. So it looks like batch 2 will be cleared quite soon for Dublin.

She did mention that things will probably be slow in December. I am just outside the Top 10 in batch 3 Open, just inside the Top 10 interdepartmental, and was told it would most likely be the new year before I'm called.

if you are just outside the top 10 open and just inside it interdepartmental, that means that almost the whole top 10 of batch 3 are serving civil servants.

• Advertisement

Gaffer78 wrote: »
    if you are just outside the top 10 open and just inside it interdepartmental, that means that almost the whole top 10 of batch 3 are serving civil servants.

The general trend seems to be that something like 70% of those on the panel are existing Civil Servants, so it stands to reason that 7 or 8 of the top 10 would be...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Woodenframe

to save me reading over 157 pages.. could someone tell me if they have gone back to the stage 1 people yet for a new batch to bring on to supervised tests?
    My DP got about 1200 or so in the stage 1 I think but was wondering what the chances are of going forward to stage 2...
    cheers

I am not sure I just checked back over the notification I got from PAS after Stage 1 in the Open Comp and it said people up to 1047 would be called to Stage 2 so I am not sure how many were called. You could ring PAS and see if they intend calling anymore to Stage 2 of the competition?

Well any news from anyone ?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Checked during the week, no movement on my county. Still sitting pretty at 5 and 3 respectively on both panels. I'd say nothing will happen until the new year.

Checked during the week, no movement on my county. Still sitting pretty at 5 and 3 respectively on both panels. I'd say nothing will happen until the new year.

Yeah seems to go in waves. I rang yesterday and the numbers for Dublin were still 7 open and 5 inter left to place on batch 2 before they start on batch 3. They did say there was a good chance they’d be starting on batch 3 before Xmas so fingers crossed.

What counties are you?

Also how do they decide what panel to pull from. Is it down to the department requesting an AP?

Departments are meant to promote in the following sequence: internal, interd, open. Not sure if they all follow that procedure though....in my department, only 2 out of 16 AP promotions in the last 8 months were pulled from this competition...

Departments are meant to promote in the following sequence: internal, interd, open. Not sure if they all follow that procedure though....in my department, only 2 out of 16 AP promotions in the last 8 months were pulled from this competition...

I’m sure a lot of that goes on which doesn’t help us!

Hopefully there will be a mad rush from departments to fill their vacant posts before the year end, would be nice to have it in the bag before Xmas tbh.

I’m sure a lot of that goes on which doesn’t help us!

Hopefully there will be a mad rush from departments to fill their vacant posts before the year end, would be nice to have it in the bag before Xmas tbh.

The reason that can happen is because some Departments end up owing vancancies to particular streams, so they may have to backfill those posts first. So for example if there was no internal panel in place in a particular Department for say 3/6 months, then they would keep promoting ahead with open and interdept and then owe vacancies to the internal stream once a new panel was in place.

• Advertisement

Ok well that seems somewhat fairer!

Is there any source that publishes how many of each grade were recruited by each department in a given year and from what stream?

Advertisement