Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NEW 2016 Open and Interdepartmental Assistant Principal in Civil Service competition.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Gaffer78

CP30 wrote: »
    Anyone hear anything lately - I rang yesterday and was told to check back next week. All they would confirm is that batch 2 Dublin is finished and they are on batch 3.

CP30 did you not confirm last week that a colleague of yours called and was told they are at 8 on the open and 6 on the inter for batch 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭CP30

Gaffer78 wrote: »
    CP30 did you not confirm last week that a colleague of yours called and was told they are at 8 on the open and 6 on the inter for batch 3?

Gaffer yes that’s what they said to a colleague of mine last week.

I was told different today.

Well any movement for anyone this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 BL

Rang this morning. They are still "just about to start" on batch 3....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

BL wrote: »
    Rang this morning. They are still "just about to start" on batch 3....

Quick q if there is no position available in your areas of choice do they just skip over you and come back to you when there is something? Thanks

Quick q if there is no position available in your areas of choice do they just skip over you and come back to you when there is something? Thanks

you only get offered the positions that arise in those counties that you have selected. So you might be 15th overall in batch 3 but 1st for the location of Limerick. You wont get offered anything until a vacancy arises in Limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

you only get offered the positions that arise in those counties that you have selected. So you might be 15th overall in batch 3 but 1st for the location of Limerick. You wont get offered anything until a vacancy arises in Limerick

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

How are people dealing with the requirement for "Supply the name and contact details (email address) of a referee from your current employment". I have a good relationship with my line manager, but she has a strong vested interest in keeping me in my current role, so I'd really prefer not to use her for this. Also, I really don't want to expose my position until I have a definite offer on the table.

I have a great relationship with my ex-line manager who has now left the organisation. Would he qualify as 'current employer'? He's not currently in my current employer, but he can speak to my work with my current employer.

All advice welcome....

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Poppy2017

How are people dealing with the requirement for "Supply the name and contact details (email address) of a referee from your current employment". I have a good relationship with my line manager, but she has a strong vested interest in keeping me in my current role, so I'd really prefer not to use her for this. Also, I really don't want to expose my position until I have a definite offer on the table.

I have a great relationship with my ex-line manager who has now left the organisation. Would he qualify as 'current employer'? He's not currently in my current employer, but he can speak to my work with my current employer.

All advice welcome....
    It's a hard one - how long has your ex manager left the company ? If it's a referee from current employment I would take that to mean a referee who is currently employed by the company you work for and can vouch for you now - your ex manager wouldn't be able to provide the reference on the company email or company headed paper as he no longer works there so who is to say he was ever your manager if you get my point ?

Maybe some others who have been in the situation can give advice on what they did !

• Advertisement

It is a tough one. I was in that position a few years ago and in the end I had to bite the bullet and tell my current employer. At the time PAS had no flexibility around it.

You could ask someone in the clearance team could you use your former manager details first and then when you get the official offer you will provide the current one although really I can’t see them budging on it.

In fairness once you at this stage it is nearly a formality to getting the job but I get why you might be a bit nervous. Have they told you what department you are going to or will they only reveal that after the reference is checked out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The former manager is a good while back - 4 years I think, so they might not be keen. Has anyone given a peer as a reference to PAS and not a line manager?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sonjac

The former manager is a good while back - 4 years I think, so they might not be keen. Has anyone given a peer as a reference to PAS and not a line manager?

I'd give PAS a call - If you are coming in from the private sector they might take your previous employer. Otherwise you could put down HR, rather than your line manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 MelShock

It is a tough one. I was in that position a few years ago and in the end I had to bite the bullet and tell my current employer. At the time PAS had no flexibility around it.

You could ask someone in the clearance team could you use your former manager details first and then when you get the official offer you will provide the current one although really I can’t see them budging on it.

In fairness once you at this stage it is nearly a formality to getting the job but I get why you might be a bit nervous. Have they told you what department you are going to or will they only reveal that after the reference is checked out?

I just had similar situation about 1 month ago. I was only in job for 6 months. They stated I could just get a confirmation of employment. I got letter from HR stating that I current worked in ... and had started on x date. They accepted that. I did not have to give reason to HR on why I needed confirmation of employment and therefore had offer before I had to tell my managers. Ask PAS if they could accept something like that? They than rang a former referee that I had previously worked with for character reference. So that is where your ex boss might be able to help! Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MrsColumbo

Simply put name and eMail address of HR Manager. If your line manager is consulted simply say that you made a speculative application to the civil service ages ago to see how you would fare and are hoping for a positive reference. No more info/discussion with line manager is necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Swoz

This should not be as big an issue as you think, most references these days are the bare minimum e.g. worked here from xx to xx as a "job title".

If an manager gives a bad reference that prevents an employee from securing a job, that manager exposes themselves and the employer to litigation, and strong pay outs.

Vaguely recall a big compensation award a few years ago, and since then Hr will ensure every reference given is as basic as it can get.

• Advertisement

I rang PAS a few days ago and they have said batch 3 started so hopefully a few more of us get assignments before Xmas break.

I rang PAS a few days ago and they have said batch 3 started so hopefully a few more of us get assignments before Xmas break.

Good news. Did they give any indication as to how far they had progressed into batch 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sonjac

Good news. Did they give any indication as to how far they had progressed into batch 3?

Does that mean they will give you your position on the Dublin panel now?

Sonjac wrote: »
    Does that mean they will give you your position on the Dublin panel now?

He said the first 4 people in batch 3 were in clearance but not yet offered assignments, I’m in the early teens and he said there is a good chance they will get to me before the Xmas break so that’s positive although not definite!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Sheep_Lover

He said the first 4 people in batch 3 were in clearance but not yet offered assignments, I’m in the early teens and he said there is a good chance they will get to me before the Xmas break so that’s positive although not definite!!!

The reason some may be hearing that they haven't started on Batch 3 and others such as CP30 is suggesting they have appears to be a technical one.

They have not assigned anyone off Batch 3 but it appears as a form of preparation on the part of PAS, they have begun the standard clearance process for impending appointments i.e. those at the top of Batch 3.

So to clarify, they have not yet drawn from Batch 3 for any assignments and may still not have closed out all Dublin Batch 2 assignments. They are currently doing the vetting/clearance thing for future Batch 3 assignments as a form of standard prep on their part. The act of assigning candidates from Batch 3 may still be a while away.

• Advertisement

Just got my assignment off the interdepartmental panel this afternoon. So things are moving on batch 3!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Imp123

Congratulations! Where are they sending you?

Just got my assignment off the interdepartmental panel this afternoon. So things are moving on batch 3!

Congrats great news hope ur happy with ur assignment and good luck with it!

Thanks! I'm staying in my current department, happy out with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Newfoundland88

Thanks! I'm staying in my current department, happy out with that.

Fantastic news! Thanks for letting us know. Were you in the top 10 on Inter departmental?

Yes, just inside the top 10

Yes, just inside the top 10

Just another quick question. Are you made aware that you are 'in clearance' as an existing civil servant or did you just get notifications of your posting out of the blue? My HR department told me to tell them when I was about 20 places away so they could put in a request to keep me but surely they must know as they are the ones who have to rubber stamp the clearance??

Just another quick question. Are you made aware that you are 'in clearance' as an existing civil servant or did you just get notifications of your posting out of the blue? My HR department told me to tell them when I was about 20 places away so they could put in a request to keep me but surely they must know as they are the ones who have to rubber stamp the clearance??

My manager was contacted regarding clearance/ reference yesterday morning, and then I got the message confirming my assignment a couple of hours later. That's all I know, but it seems to have been done very quickly. Not sure if that's always the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 NoNamesWork

Your Department can ask to keep you long before that, I know of people on Batch 3 who have had it confirmed through their HR and PAS from almost as soon as the results were out that they would be assigned to their current Department.

For me as an existing Civil Servant my HR got docs to complete and as soon as they were returned I got my offer. I was told by PAS that once I had received the offer if I wanted to stay in my current Department it would have to be arranged between my Department and the new Department so luckily I was happy with the new assignment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭relax carry on

No movement on my regional panel at all. They are still in batch 1 and I'm batch 3.
    Also my order of merit has shifted yet again according to that last call. It's gotten worse. I give up trying to figure out how they are arriving at these figures/positions.

• Advertisement

I’m top 15 batch 3 Dublin and was told yesterday I’m in clearance and will get my assignment as soon as my current department provides what they need so am delighted.

I applied for this role a year ago!

I’m top 15 batch 3 Dublin and was told yesterday I’m in clearance and will get my assignment as soon as my current department provides what they need so am delighted.

I applied for this role a year ago!

Excellent news CP30. Lovely Christmas present for you! Well done! Were you called off Inter or Open panel?

Excellent news CP30. Lovely Christmas present for you! Well done! Were you called off Inter or Open panel?

I was so excited I forgot to ask but my inter and open number are very close both top 15. I’ll check when they get in touch with me and let u know.

I was so excited I forgot to ask but my inter and open number are very close both top 15. I’ll check when they get in touch with me and let u know.

Haha! Completely understandable! Thanks, have a great weekend! I think it was this weekend last year we did the first tests....I remember I was dying after the Christmas party....

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Mugser11

Hi I got email for clearance Friday. Im within top 20 inter d and within top 30 open. I got offered Dublin however when queried today i am next for meath. Unsure what to do but hoping meath comes up!!

Mugser11 wrote: »
    Hi I got email for clearance Friday. Im within top 20 inter d and within top 30 open. I got offered Dublin however when queried today i am next for meath. Unsure what to do but hoping meath comes up!!

Congrats! That's a tough one!! Ask them what the chances are for Meath....be awful to hold out for it and not get it, whereas if you take Dublin, there is always the possibility of a transfer down the road??

Yeah they could hopefully give you some indication re Meath before u make a decision.

Did they tell u what department in Dublin as you could at least know if they have any places in Meath you could transfer to in the future.

Thanks. No they asked was i still interested in Dublin as my placed was reached on panel. I replied any idea where in Dublin and when and also asked about my place on Meath panel. She cant give any indication where or when and said Im next for Meath. I feel its huge decision to make without any idea of where Ill be placed in Dublin or if Meath will even come up for me. May have to take Dublin just in case.

Thanks. No they asked was i still interested in Dublin as my placed was reached on panel. I replied any idea where in Dublin and when and also asked about my place on Meath panel. She cant give any indication where or when and said Im next for Meath. I feel its huge decision to make without any idea of where Ill be placed in Dublin or if Meath will even come up for me. May have to take Dublin just in case.

Very very tough call - what departments have offices in Meath?

• Advertisement

OPW, Garda Civilian Hr, Revenue has something in Navan too and social protection too. Few other places but appear to have small numbers of staff. Hard to know if any will have vacancies!!

OPW, Garda Civilian Hr, Revenue has something in Navan too and social protection too. Few other places but appear to have small numbers of staff. Hard to know if any will have vacancies!!

Yeah you just never know.

The only thing is to maybe look at it this way. Say Revenue, they have like 6000 staff. Surely there is someone in there now that has their name down for a transfer to Navan so when the next position comes up it will go to them not you.

A negative view for your situation but something to consider for sure.

If it were me, I would take Dublin and hopefully when the new CS mobility scheme is introduced fully, stick your name down then. It is really bittersweet for you now....CP30 did you get a department yet?

If it were me, I would take Dublin and hopefully when the new CS mobility scheme is introduced fully, stick your name down then. It is really bittersweet for you now....CP30 did you get a department yet?

No not yet but my HR department Told me they got a form from PAS this morning and will send it back to them tomorrow and then I’ll find out hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 GorSin

I'm batch one and got a call this evening to say they are putting me into clearance for a position in Wexford. He just said Wexford town so I reckon it I'd Dept of Community, Housing etc. I think - based on someone who
    Works there that there might be more vacancies there. So there is a possibility that there might be more movement on the Wexford panel.

This has felt like a long time coming around- a year since we did the online tests and eight months since I joined batch one. Delighted and slightly terrified.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Murraymint81

GorSin wrote: »
    I'm batch one and got a call this evening to say they are putting me into clearance for a position in Wexford. He just said Wexford town so I reckon it I'd Dept of Community, Housing etc. I think - based on someone who
    Works there that there might be more vacancies there. So there is a possibility that there might be more movement on the Wexford panel.

This has felt like a long time coming around- a year since we did the online tests and eight months since I joined batch one. Delighted and slightly terrified.

Congratulations GorSin - a lovely Christmas present! ...... it gives everyone still waiting hope.

• Advertisement

Excellent news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭dee75

Congratulations Gorsin!

Delighted for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Imp123

No not yet but my HR department Told me they got a form from PAS this morning and will send it back to them tomorrow and then I’ll find out hopefully.
    I'm around the same position as you CP30 and they have all my paperwork etc. from my current dept since last week. PAS told me it will be the New Year before I'm assigned now.

Imp123 wrote: »
    I'm around the same position as you CP30 and they have all my paperwork etc. from my current dept since last week. PAS told me it will be the New Year before I'm assigned now.

Yeah my department has also sent back my papers aswell so we’re in the same boat!

I was holding out hope they might let me know before the Xmas break but if they have told you not till the new year then I’m the same too unfortunately.

Well done to all those who recently got the good word. I'm in the 20's batch 3 interdept so hoping to hear something in the not too distant future.

Can I ask was the notification of clearance just by way of an email, or was it a message on your publicjobs messageboard or was it a phone call?

And do they tell you to what department you are being considered at that stage?

• Advertisement
Advertisement