Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NEW 2016 Open and Interdepartmental Assistant Principal in Civil Service competition.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭CP30

Gaffer78 wrote: »
    Well done to all those who recently got the good word. I'm in the 20's batch 3 interdept so hoping to hear something in the not too distant future.

Can I ask was the notification of clearance just by way of an email, or was it a message on your publicjobs messageboard or was it a phone call?

And do they tell you to what department you are being considered at that stage?

They just rang me, they said they can’t tell me what department I’m going to into until the make the official offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭eoinola

Hey

so somehow I passed the First Sec interview and placed 1 on Batch 2!! Does anyone know what batch 2 means?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

eoinola wrote: »
    Hey

so somehow I passed the First Sec interview and placed 1 on Batch 2!! Does anyone know what batch 2 means?

Thanks

There was a Batch 1 previously interviewed and placed on a panel

you are now on second batch which will start when first batch finished

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Mod:
    ThumbTaxed is taking a break from the forum for failing to follow earlier moderator instructions not to post on this thread again; all replies to their post have been deleted accordingly as they can't respond to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Roast_Spuds

Lads, any idea where this panel is at on the order of merit for both open and inter?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Gaffer78

Lads, any idea where this panel is at on the order of merit for both open and inter?

Circa 20 interdepartmental and 30 open - for dublin...

• Registered Users Posts: 6 EL23

Really? Has it moved forward that much? I thought we were still around the 15 mark...

EL23 wrote: »
    Really? Has it moved forward that much? I thought we were still around the 15 mark...

Yeah I know someone in early 20s who is in clearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Maybenever

Going to clearance in wexford. It's moving

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Udon

Hi all. I’ve been following this thread, thank you all for the useful info. I’m in batch 3, mid 40s inter D and around the 70 mark Open. Having assumed that the possibility of a posting was dead to me a long time ago, I’m now wondering whether there might be a chance. What would you think are the chances of being offered something before the Oct ‘18 cut off?

Another question that I can’t see addressed at all here, and I’m sure it’s debatable, but are there certain departments that are considered better to work in than others? Or are there departments that are reputationally not great in terms of culture, dynamism, etc.?

And another quick brain picker! Are most postings from this panel in departments? Could you be posted to revenue, valuation office, CSO, etc? And could you be posted to DPER, Finance or Dept of Taoiseach, or are they specifically for higher AP’s?

Thanks to all of you for info so far!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Newfoundland88

Udon wrote: »
    Hi all. I’ve been following this thread, thank you all for the useful info. I’m in batch 3, mid 40s inter D and around the 70 mark Open. Having assumed that the possibility of a posting was dead to me a long time ago, I’m now wondering whether there might be a chance. What would you think are the chances of being offered something before the Oct ‘18 cut off?

Another question that I can’t see addressed at all here, and I’m sure it’s debatable, but are there certain departments that are considered better to work in than others? Or are there departments that are reputationally not great in terms of culture, dynamism, etc.?

And another quick brain picker! Are most postings from this panel in departments? Could you be posted to revenue, valuation office, CSO, etc? And could you be posted to DPER, Finance or Dept of Taoiseach, or are they specifically for higher AP’s?

Hi Udon. I am early 40's inter on the Dublin panel and PAS told me I would definitely be placed by late Spring, providing nothing catastrophic happens with the economy! However, I believe they are already up to the early 20's so it may be sooner than that, fingers crossed. You could be sent anywhere however, unless your HR have put in a request to keep you.

Udon wrote: »

1. Highly likely that you'll be reached, probably by Easter.

2. All departments are different with their own challenges. And having served in a few, the culture is broadly the same; a nice place to work with decent people who care about doing a good job and are proud of where they work and the service they provide. The only time i'd say that being assigned to one department over another might be beneficial to an individual is if you had a specific skill set that was tailored to one department, ie a degree in agricultural studies, or an arts degree, or a tax/accountancy background.

3. You could be posted to all and any departments including CSO, DPer, Revenue etc. Revenue is one of the largest departments in the country, so just cause it doesnt say Department in the title doesnt mean its off limits!

Hi, this might be a bit of a blunt question, but what's the net take home of an AP after all deductions?

Maybenever wrote: »
    Hi, this might be a bit of a blunt question, but what's the net take home of an AP after all deductions?

That's an impossible question to answer as everyones tax credits are different and unique to their circumstances. However as a general guide the current effective tax rate in Ireland is circa 52% for those earning at the marginal rate, ie APs

Gaffer78 wrote: »
    However as a general guide the current effective tax rate in Ireland is circa 52% for those earning at the marginal rate, ie APs

the 52% only applies to your earnings over the tax ceilings not your entire salary so won't give an accurate figure alone.

something like this calculator will give a good idea: http://taxcalc.ie/budget-2018/

Thanks, I'm coming from the private sector and have a fair idea of what the tax is on the higher rate, what I don't know is how the pension contributions are done.

Maybenever wrote: »
    Thanks, I'm coming from the private sector and have a fair idea of what the tax is on the higher rate, what I don't know is how the pension contributions are done.

if you use the calculator as a public servant it will show what the pension costs are and there is a link to explain in detail how they are calculated

Riskymove wrote: »
    if you use the calculator as a public servant it will show what the pension costs are and there is a link to explain in detail how they are calculated

Ah, interesting, never even knew that option was available :lol: never had cause to click anything other than paye. thanks.

Fao bobbysands; can't answer your dm, mate. Your box is full.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 LoopyLou17

I also have a blunt question; can anyone tell me what paydates the fortnightly system falls on? I.e. is payday the 5th and 19th of jan, or 12th and 26th? thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭SFC1895

LoopyLou17 wrote: »
    I also have a blunt question; can anyone tell me what paydates the fortnightly system falls on? I.e. is payday the 5th and 19th of jan, or 12th and 26th? thanks in advance!

11th and 25th

• Registered Users Posts: 11 LoopyLou17

SFC1895 wrote: »
    LoopyLou17 wrote: »

11th and 25th
    Thanks so much!!

Happy new year everyone!

Anyone heard anything from public jobs this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 EL23

I phoned and was told they are up to 35 in clearance on the Open Panel

EL23 wrote: »
    I phoned and was told they are up to 35 in clearance on the Open Panel

Great thanks yeah I’m top 15 and have been told my clearance is complete just waiting on an appointment now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Mama lion

does anyone know what the delay is now for salary adjustments for new APs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Mama lion wrote: »

One word: PeoplePoint.

These days it can take new staff a minimum of six weeks to get set up on their proper pay rate. Or to get set up on any pay rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

One word: PeoplePoint.

These days it can take new staff a minimum of six weeks to get set up on their proper pay rate. Or to get set up on any pay rate.

No, the backlogs are supposed to be all cleared now as of Dec 17. Check PSEU website and perhaps Peoplepoint website for more on that.

Edit: And perhaps AHCPS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,706 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

For those who've progressed to contract stage, is it standard that it is described as;
    to offer you an appointment as an established Assistant Principal Officer on a probationary contract in the Civil Service for a period of one year on the following terms and conditions with effect from [date]

along with
    Prior to completion of the probationary contract, a decision will be made as to whether or not you will be retained pursuant to Section 5A(2) of the Civil Service Regulation Acts 1956-2005.

I was expecting a probationary period all right, but it just seems strange that it is described as a probationary contract, rather than a contract with a probationary period.

Is this the standard approach now?

I'm currently in a public service role, if that makes any difference. I plan to resign shortly, once the contract is sorted.

Is this the standard approach now?

Basically yes it's standard
    You are on a one year contract as your probation period

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭passinginterest

Mama lion wrote: »

It’s still substantial, my promotion date was 30th Oct and still haven’t been paid. Checked last week and instruction had just been sent from PeoplePoint to PSSC so hopefully get it in my next pay or the one after at worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 NoNamesWork

It’s still substantial, my promotion date was 30th Oct and still haven’t been paid. Checked last week and instruction had just been sent from PeoplePoint to PSSC so hopefully get it in my next pay or the one after at worst.

Did you move Department?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭passinginterest

Did you move Department?

No stayed the same, and just to be clear, still getting paid my HEO salary just haven’t seen the pay on promotion yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 NoNamesWork

No stayed the same, and just to be clear, still getting paid my HEO salary just haven’t seen the pay on promotion yet.

I would think if you move Dept it should happen quicker, have the people experiencing delays all stayed in the same Dept?

I would think if you move Dept it should happen quicker, have the people experiencing delays all stayed in the same Dept?

it makes no difference whether you stay or move, all the processing is done centrally via peoplepoint and the PSSC

Anyone have any updates...I rang last week and was told I’d hear something in the next week or so

The last update on this thread was that they are up to number 35 on the Open Panel. Does anyone have an advance on that number? Or an update on what number they are at on the interdepartmental.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Carrie2

I just heard they are calling more people to the second stage e-tray etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Imp123

Well I'm not sure if anyone has been assigned from Batch 3 yet. I'm in Top 20 on both panels and have been told my clearance is complete but haven' t heard anything further.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sonjac

Imp123 wrote: »
    Well I'm not sure if anyone has been assigned from Batch 3 yet. I'm in Top 20 on both panels and have been told my clearance is complete but haven' t heard anything further.

How long did your clearance take?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 sheepstealer

Carrie2 wrote: »
    I just heard they are calling more people to the second stage e-tray etc.

They are as doing verification/etray tests I got email from PAS today. Tests are 29/1 to 2/2

I am in the 1200's on the open after initial test so not sure how far down they went.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Imp123

I'm not sure exactly as I wasn't told when it started - only when my PO was contacted and from then it was only a couple of days.

Imp123 wrote: »
    I'm not sure exactly as I wasn't told when it started - only when my PO was contacted and from then it was only a couple of days.

I’m the same as you Imp. Top 20, clearance done.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Regularreggie

I rang earlier this week and was told that the open is at 30. So no movement there. I asked about the interdepartmental number and wasnt given an answer but told instead to use the open as a guide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭whampiri

Has anyone else booked in for stage 2 yet? The reason I ask is that I've done it but an email has issued to me stating that its a 1 hour interview! I'm thinking that it's a generic email but said I'd ask here to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nerd Queen

whampiri wrote: »
    Has anyone else booked in for stage 2 yet? The reason I ask is that I've done it but an email has issued to me stating that its a 1 hour interview! I'm thinking that it's a generic email but said I'd ask here to be sure.

Another message issued from PAS on the message Board stating to be prepared to be in for 4 hours and that you should be there 15 minutes ahead of your scheduled time.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 sheepstealer

whampiri wrote: »

I have booked in. It says one hour in booking response but there was a different email yesterday saying leave 4 hours for tests.

Delighted to be able to pick an afternoon time.

Did they call up many ? I am in the 1200's on original test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I got a message to attend for Stage 2 also. I was 1002 in the Stage one results. Looks like 3 aptitude tests and a e-tray session.

Hi All, got my assignment today so am delighted!

Hopefully some others got there’s too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Babsiboo

gazzer wrote: »
    I got a message to attend for Stage 2 also. I was 1002 in the Stage one results. Looks like 3 aptitude tests and a e-tray session.

Are they only calling from the open I wonder? I was 50 out of original batch to be called on open and similar on interdepartmental.

Advertisement