Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NEW 2016 Open and Interdepartmental Assistant Principal in Civil Service competition.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Newfoundland88

CP30 wrote: »
    Hi All, got my assignment today so am delighted!

Hopefully some others got there’s too.

Thanks CP for letting us know!!! Very best of luck and thanks so much for letting us know. You've been really helpful on this thread. Hopefully not long now for me, fingers crossed. 40's ID and 60's Open.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Imp123

Hi - I got my assignment yesterday also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭whampiri

Any advice on the etray?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DFT

whampiri wrote: »
    Any advice on the etray?

Save your work regularly. If it’s not saved it’s not marked.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Poppy2017

Hi All, got my assignment today so am delighted!

Hopefully some others got there’s too.
    Delighted for you CP30 !! Best wishes in the new job and thanks for all the updates etc !!

• Advertisement

Any advice on the etray?
    The hardest thing I found about the etray was the time allocated and watching two clocks !! Read and re read the material you get from PAS about the etray exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭CP30

Imp123 wrote: »
    Hi - I got my assignment yesterday also.

Congrats!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Babsiboo wrote: »
    Are they only calling from the open I wonder? I was 50 out of original batch to be called on open and similar on interdepartmental.

I only applied for Interdepartmental. A work colleague of mine is at 1130 and has not been called. I suspect they may have called up to 1100

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Babsiboo

gazzer wrote: »
    I only applied for Interdepartmental. A work colleague of mine is at 1130 and has not been called. I suspect they may have called up to 1100

Thanks for that. I applied for both and was called, time to get the head in gear. Congratulations to all who passed and to those who are on the panel/placed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭dee75

Any advice on the etray?

Try and answer the intermittent emails/phone messages as they pop up so you don't forgot to deal with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Udon

Any advice on the etray?

My main advice would be to keep the emails you’re asked to send concise - I would guess it’s a common mistake (and very tempting) to put loads of info in the emails to prove that you’ve understood the information!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Mugser11

Hi I got my offer also and agreed a date yesterday for mid Feb. Thanks to everyone for all the help and advice since the beginning of this journey. I was wondering for those of you already appointed a while are the hours working out at 9-5 or later as i may need to change childcare so just trying to see what hours in reality people are workimg. Thanks

Udon wrote: »
    My main advice would be to keep the emails you’re asked to send concise - I would guess it’s a common mistake (and very tempting) to put loads of info in the emails to prove that you’ve understood the information!

Thanks for all the tips so far and co grants to those being appointed. I know there's a main piece that you work on but so I understand my timing, how long is this? Is it a case of copying and pasting an answer with strong arguments, I.e. relatively short or is it a thesis?

Mugser11 wrote: »
    Hi I got my offer also and agreed a date yesterday for mid Feb. Thanks to everyone for all the help and advice since the beginning of this journey. I was wondering for those of you already appointed a while are the hours working out at 9-5 or later as i may need to change childcare so just trying to see what hours in reality people are workimg. Thanks

As an AP you have a deregation under the working time act. Depending on the department, you keep your own time but I'm afraid you're in for a land if you think that you'll be able to walk out of there at 5pm every night. It's regular that APs work until 7,8 or even 9, having started considerably earlier.
    Some depths will insist on you clocking in and out while others don't. Do you know where you've been allocated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Core time is 9 to 5.45... The hours you'll need to put in, in reality will depend immensely on the area you are in and on your boss.

Working until 8 or 9 is incredibly far from the norm. But some jobs may require this more than others and it can often be inconsistent and irregular

Mugser11 wrote: »

I’ve worked in 2 departments over the last few years, one relatively small and one very big department. In both APs could start and finish within the flexi hours and in neither were APs ever there working late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I’ve worked in 2 departments over the last few years, one relatively small and one very big department. In both APs could start and finish within the flexi hours and in neither were APs ever there working late.

Exact opposite in my department. Not uncommon for AP's to be in the office until 7 or 8 of and evening

gazzer wrote: »
    Exact opposite in my department. Not uncommon for AP's to be in the office until 7 or 8 of and evening

Agh yeah everywhere’s different. Really down to the person I think.

As long as your prepared to say no I’m not staying late pretty soon everyone accepts this as your norm. This is in my experience anyway and has not held me back from advancement etc which is one of the reasons people tend to say they stay late.

Obviously the odd occasion is fine but if it’s regular it’s just not something I have ever put up with tbh.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Whole new bunch of candidates from the 2016 competition- invited to Stage 2 (verification) testing over the next 2-3 weeks.
    I guess there are at least a few hundred- its being handled by the large volume recruitment section.
    Well, nothing ventured, nothing gained. I had given up on this competition- the message in 'my messages' was a bit out of the blue.........

Whole new bunch of candidates from the 2016 competition- invited to Stage 2 (verification) testing over the next 2-3 weeks.
    I guess there are at least a few hundred- its being handled by the large volume recruitment section.
    Well, nothing ventured, nothing gained. I had given up on this competition- the message in 'my messages' was a bit out of the blue.........

Best of luck to you and anyone else invited to the next stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

can anyone indicate what number they went down to?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Sheep_Lover

Riskymove wrote: »
    can anyone indicate what number they went down to?

1047 from Open Panel called to Stage 2 back around this time last year. At a guess, PAS has drilled down to either 1250 or 1300 on the Open with this new development.

Conductor, would this suggest to you that all Dublin tagged candidates in the current Batch 3 (which is at number 35 on the Open Panel) will be reached sooner rather than later?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Babsiboo

1047 from Open Panel called to Stage 2 back around this time last year. At a guess, PAS has drilled down to either 1250 or 1300 on the Open with this new development.

Conductor, would this suggest to you that all Dublin tagged candidates in the current Batch 3 (which is at number 35 on the Open Panel) will be reached sooner rather than later?
    I spoke to pas. Calling only persons who indicated Dublin to round 2 of current testing. I would think unless something unforseen happens all on the current panel will be called if they have indicated Dublin as a preference.

Its hard to tell- sometimes they go through candidates like a hot knife through butter- other times- for no apparent reason- the panels just sit there.

A development like this is suggestive of an expectation that the panels are going to become exhausted, significantly in advance of September (when they will have a whole new panel in place anyhow).

I'm going to give it my best shot- but am cognisant of the fact that its only a stage 2 verification- I'm not counting my chickens just yet.

The message (this evening) mentions that the tests are expected to take over 4 hours. That seems a lot more than I remember Stage 1 taking- then again- we didn't have the e-tray in stage 1- and I guess it makes sense to try and exclude candidates who might fail the e-tray now, rather than investing time and resources bringing them to interview- and then failing the e-tray.

Best of good luck everyone- wish there was some way to practice the e-tray-the other aspects are fairly standard (at this stage)- the e-tray is the joker in the pack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Will there be a 2018 Panel or will they keep going until the 2016 is used up?

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Will there be a 2018 Panel or will they keep going until the 2016 is used up?

All panels have an expiration date- its quite usual for there to be a number of candidates placed on a panel- who are not offered posts- before the panel is closed off and a new panel constituted. So- no, they don't just keep going- it has a defined expiration date.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 randomer542

Hi
    I'm an external (was placed mid 30s batch 3)
    Just wondering if anyone can help. Got word of which department I've been assigned to last week but email just said department would contact me directly but still waiting. How long does this usually take?
    Thanks

Randomer, you could ring the HR Unit directly in that Department and just touch base etc and ask them what the plan is etc ? The HR Unit won't mind !! Congratulations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Hi
    I'm an external (was placed mid 30s batch 3)
    Just wondering if anyone can help. Got word of which department I've been assigned to last week but email just said department would contact me directly but still waiting. How long does this usually take?
    Thanks

I imagine that is a real "it depends" one, depending on the Department and how big/small/busy they are

when are you due to start

• Advertisement

Riskymove wrote: »
    I imagine that is a real "it depends" one, depending on the Department and how big/small/busy they are

when are you due to start

That's just it, I've no details at all on where I'll be based or likely start date.
    Didn't want to be seen as hassling them before I'd even started but Had hoped to hear by now so might give their HR dept a call

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Mugser11

Hi randomer542

It wouldnt be seen as hastling them. They will be well used to those phonecalls. They can tell you when youll here if they dont have all the info for you yet. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2 GreenGate

Randomer, I'm not far after you on batch 3. Also external. How were you contacted to inform you about the placement? Was the Department a surprise to you? I just can't figure how this works!

So the last movement we have heard seems to be 35 on the Open for Batch 3. Has anyone past this number been called up?

GreenGate wrote: »
    Randomer, I'm not far after you on batch 3. Also external. How were you contacted to inform you about the placement? Was the Department a surprise to you? I just can't figure how this works!

I got a phone call Christmas week from Clearance Dept in PAS for up to date contact details for referees and had send in stuff for garda vetting. Have you had this yet? Garda vetting form and then referees were contacted early last week, Thursday I got email saying which department I've been assigned to. Nothing since. Nervous / excited. Good luck to you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭relax carry on

The bulk of the posts here appear to relate to Dublin. Anyone have any information on movement in their counties at all. Nothing has moved in mine since I received my placing last October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 GorSin

Hi, I'm from the first batch- did second set of tests and e tray a year ago. On a regional panel since March. I was no 1 for Carlow and 4 for Wexford. I'm currently in clearance for a position in Wexford. I'm only the second appointment though- No1 took a Dublin offer and No2 decided to stay with their current employer. As far as I know, at least one person got called after me Christmas week. I guess it depends on the Department/s in your selected regions- how big they are and how busy they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭relax carry on

GorSin wrote: »
    Hi, I'm from the first batch- did second set of tests and e tray a year ago. On a regional panel since March. I was no 1 for Carlow and 4 for Wexford. I'm currently in clearance for a position in Wexford. I'm only the second appointment though- No1 took a Dublin offer and No2 decided to stay with their current employer. As far as I know, at least one person got called after me Christmas week. I guess it depends on the Department/s in your selected regions- how big they are and how busy they are.

Thanks for that. Good to know there's a small amount of movement at least somewhere other than Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 confusted

hi, I've been called up in the second round for Stage 2 and I'm between two minds whether I should go or not. I could get lucky and do well on the etray and get through to the interview stage but I'd be worried that my lack of managerial experience would tell at interview stage (assuming I got there). Management experience I have was from very early in my career, after that I worked in secondary teaching and then in a small organisation with a very flat structure. I can do a good interview and I know how to match my experience to the competencies but still I think I might need more leadership experience to get through. For those of you have made it all the way, any thoughts? Do you feel that your management/ leadership experience made a difference? I'm happy to build on my experience and go again in a couple of years. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sonjac

Confusted, I would suggest you do it anyway. You have nothing to loose and you can see where you need to improve if you are not sucessful. Surely there's an element of leadership and management controlling a classroom full of teenagers!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 confusted

Sonjac wrote: »
    Confusted, I would suggest you do it anyway. You have nothing to loose and you can see where you need to improve if you are not sucessful. Surely there's an element of leadership and management controlling a classroom full of teenagers!

Thanks Sonjac, as you say, nothing to lose, and yep, I can certainly draw on my many and varied experiences in the classroom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Purple13

So the last movement we have heard seems to be 35 on the Open for Batch 3. Has anyone past this number been called up?

Hi Newfoundland, I am closer to fifty and am in security clearance at present. No idea of posting yet.

Purple13 wrote: »
    Hi Newfoundland, I am closer to fifty and am in security clearance at present. No idea of posting yet.

Brilliant! Congrats Purple and thanks for letting me know. You must have been called off the Open Panel? as I am in the 40's on Inter and early 60's on Open so no word yet. Have a great weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Purple13

Brilliant! Congrats Purple and thanks for letting me know. You must have been called off the Open Panel? as I am in the 40's on Inter and early 60's on Open so no word yet. Have a great weekend!
    Yes, external so open only. You should be up very soon. Have a great weekend too.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Rosiebeans81

For an internal CS getting placed in their own department but off the open panel once the placement email comes from PAS .Are there any more checks/screening/ steps to be gone through does anyone know?

For an internal CS getting placed in their own department but off the open panel once the placement email comes from PAS .Are there any more checks/screening/ steps to be gone through does anyone know?

A pre-existing civil servant will have gone through clearance to get their original post (every single grade needs security clearance- from CO all the way up). So- normally- its a straight forward move. A bigger issue is getting changed over to the correct payscale- which can take weeks, or even months. Shared Payroll Services- are a nightmare.

Hi all
    Just wondering if AP is paid weekly, fortnightly or monthly?
    Need to get my budgeting hat on for that first week/month ;-)
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Hi all
    Just wondering if AP is paid weekly, fortnightly or monthly?
    Need to get my budgeting hat on for that first week/month ;-)
    Thanks

Fortnightly.

Fortnightly.

Great news!! Thanks

A pre-existing civil servant will have gone through clearance to get their original post (every single grade needs security clearance- from CO all the way up). So- normally- its a straight forward move. A bigger issue is getting changed over to the correct payscale- which can take weeks, or even months. Shared Payroll Services- are a nightmare.

Next week, it will be my first payday on the AP scale - exactly 2 months since my appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭dee75

Did you get word yet Rosie?

• Advertisement
Advertisement